“Surprise, surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
“Surprise, surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Being from Minnesota, we thought that we should eat at some of the local places in the area. We ran across this "little" place and decided to give it a try. Upon arriving in the parking lot we noticed Country/Western Music being played over the outside speakers. Hmmm. A clue. We walked inside and were welcomed with smiles from everyone! The hostess and servers were very friendly and willing to answer all our questions. The food was very good and there was a lot of it! The chicken was top notch (highly recommend it) and the fish also got high marks. Since we were only staying in the St. Petersburg area for three days, but we managed to eat here twice. When the food is great, we return! We were very surprised, to say the least!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bath, Maine
“Most delicious fried chicken ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to this restaurant! They have a welcoming hostess, attentive wait staff, and yummy chicken. I also tried the Talipia fish (blackened)- that was also delicious. Not thrilled with their mashed potatoes or white gravy though. All sides are rather small, but the main portion (chicken, whatever else) are ALOT! It is also fun to see all of the candy from "the old days"- when it cost a penny or 5cents, but now- well...alot more! They have to make money somehow- as they don't serve alcohol! Place is always super busy, so you know that's because it is so good. I admit I have a phobia about lack of cleanliness of restrooms- theirs could definitely use a real good scrubbing!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bradenton, Florida
“Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Today we went to the restaurant to eat lunch as we sometimes do frequently , because my grandson is an All Children's Baby.Beings we live in Bradenton and drive to All Children's regularly, we frequent Po Folks. Today however, very very disappointing. Hostess, nice. Our server Charlie needs to find another line of work. Took forever to even greet us. Offered tea lemonade and coke. My daughter said"I try your lemonade. He came back with PINK lemonade,failed to mention that.So he brought her a sprite instead. She asked about the gizzards, he told her he didn't eat them so he didn't know,so she asked for chicken tenders,he asked "basket or dinner"? She told him dinner. Our food arrived and she received gizzards. She was gonna go ahead and eat them but, I explained that she had asked for chicken tenders. He fixed it but it was a basket. Which she ate anyway. No prebussing.Even after at least 10 times walking by empty handed.Then I asked for a box for mine and my grandsons leftovers which I placed all on 1 plate..Along with a sweet tea and sprite t go. I always stack all dishes (as i too am a server). He took some dishes at this time.I went to restroom which was FILTHY , come on people you just opened at 11am ,we are leaving at noon please , it was nasty.I come out and my daughter says your going to be pissed. I asked why? Then tells me, he brought the drinks and check, and while she's looking at the check grabs the plate of food .So when we go to check out,we spoke to manager about what had happened. Of course she apologises for this and says she will speak to him.I also purchased 2 lollipops.So our bill was NOT compensated at all not even for the food that was thrown away.On the ride home I was in disbelief how Customer service means nothing any more. My restaurant would have fixed this right away,not I'll talk to him. Very disappointed. Will NOT return.I'll go to Popi's in bradenton and just wait. Clean this place up. It's not the same. SAD!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Cheap but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to eat lunch out on Sunday with our son and found out the place does not open on Sundays. We were driving back when we passed this place and decided to stop there as we had eaten there once and had liked it. It is a stand alone facility in the middle of a large parking lot so parking is never a problem.

Being Sunday, the place was packed and we thought it would take time to be seated. The woman said 15 minutes and it took only 10 which was great.

My son had chicken fingers with french fries and he said they were good. My wife had a 1/2 fried chicken, veggies with cole slaw and said it was very good. I had a pulled pork sandwich with soup and thought it was very good. We all had sodas.

The man who took care of us did an excellent job. Our food came quicker than I expected given that the place was full.

The portions were more than enough to satisfy even my son who is 6'-4". My wife took home one of the pieces she was served.

The bill came to $38.42 including a $7 tip and $2.06 tax which I found very reasonable given the amount and quality of food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“I hadn't been here in years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Most of the Po Folks in the south changed over to Folks which still has country style food but not quite the same as the original. The veggie platter w/ choice of bread was a good value for 5.99 but some of the veggie portions were a bit small. Next time I will double them up & add on another one or two for an additional charge. Cornbread & sweet tea were excellent & the chicken livers got rave reviews as well. This place is great for those looking for some down home cooking at a fair price. I will return!

Visited December 2012