“What a dump” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Tampa, Florida
“What a dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Really poor quality for the money. We knew it was an old motel that had been redone and having grown up in Florida where these types of beach motels were the norm, I knew what to expect from the structual aspect of the building. What i did not expect was how poorly the building had been renovated. Warped and dirty plywood for a flooring option?
The concrete floor in the lobby had been polished but not patched so gouges and nail holes covered the floor. On the other hand the linens were clean and the bed comfortable. However the prices were high for the overall quality of the hotel. We will not be back.

• Stayed May 2014
jflanery, Manager at Postcard Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Evanskeene,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy yourself while here. I do want to note a couple of issues with your review though. While we have renovated our rooms, the "warped... plywood" flooring you are referring to is imported tile, made to look like plywood. This, along with our lobby, contributes to the ecclectic feel of the property, mixing industrial with 70's surfer vibe.

Again, I apologize that the design concept did not appeal to you and I hope with a better understanding of what we are trying to accomplish, you will be willing to provide us another chance.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our Spring Break trip with our family at PCI. The location on the beach is awesome, and their pool was a nice alternative to the beach. It has a laid back, fun atmosphere. We would definitely stay there again.

Dear jerrywcotner,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm glad to know that you had such a great time while with us and look forward to sharing your comments with the team!

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My visit to Postcard Inn was with 2 girlfriends. We stayed there for 2 nights 24Apr-26Apr, 2014.
Our room was a garden view on the 2nd floor. The room was nice and clean. The grounds are very well kept and the pool was clean and warm.

AC Issue - Did not cool well enough. None of us are the type people that want a room very cold, so for it not to be cooling enough for us says something. At night when we tried to sleep the room was stuffy feeling. We checked the thermostat, which was the old dial type. It said it was on cool and set on 70, but the actual temp in the room was warmer. When we called down to ask for help they sent some one up, but all they actually did was just mess with the dial. He said it would take time for the temp to "catch" up, which it never did. The next day we asked for the AC to be looked at. The staff said they would, but to our knowledge they never did since we had the same issue the that night. At one point someone told us it was a central system for all the rooms. In knowing this my thought was that management was controlling the temperature for all the rooms and the dial is just there to make you think you are controlling it. I was also told that I needed to keep in mind the building was built in 1951. I admit that is what adds to the charm of this hotel, but I would think they could upgrade the AC to 21st century standards.

Water temp issue - the entire time we were there we had lukewarm water for the shower. We were told by management this was an issue with the city pipes and it was being worked on, since this was a city pipe issue it was out of their control. I am no plumber, but common sense tells me that a hot water issue would be related to the hot water heater, but maybe not.... The next day when we asked for an update on the hot water situation we were told again it had to do with city pipe issue and it should be fixed by noon. That afternoon around 5 when we began taking our showers it was still lukewarm.
Bottomline - this is a great place. It has a fun, active, upbeat atmosphere. The downsize is the staff just tell you what you want to hear and did not address issues as they should have. I did not ask for any type compensation, but I feel they should have offered a dollar amount off for the inconveniences that we encountered. I personally own 3 vacation properties. When we have issues like these we have to sometimes accommodate our guests in this manner. It's just good business.

I might come back, but if I do I will stay in a poolside room, since they have individual AC units that looks like you can control.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Poolside room, since you will have control of your AC.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Stephenie U,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay and wanted to address a couple of concerns you mentioned. While our main buildings are controlled by a central A/C unit, that unit is set at 68 degrees. The thermostat in your room controls the opening and closing of a damper that controls the airflow of the 68 degree air. It sounds like your damper was stuck in the closed position, not allowing cold air to circulate. This issue should have been recognized by our team and corrected. I am unsure how this did not happen but will be following up with the team to ensure it does not take place in the future. In regards to the issue of the hot water, we did have a hot water leak that took approximately a week to locate (not an easy task on a 7 acre property!), as it was under a concrete slab. All staff was aware of this and should have been able to communicate this issue to you. Again, I apologize they did not. I will be utilizing your comments as a training tool for our team members on how to better handle situations like yours. I hope this instills some confidence in your choice to select us as your hotel of choice.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Shelby Township, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Air condition not working. Not a temporary problem. Only offer is a fan for your room. No working fridges. Best temp in fridge about 45 degrees IF it worked. Rooms rarely made up in time always out of towels. Great pool, beach and tiki bar.

Dear Funkindunkin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay while with us but was concerned reading your comments about the A/C issue. I'm generally in the know when it comes to issues pertaining to A/C and was not aware that we were experiencing a problem. If you could please contact me directly, it would greatly assist in researching this issue and rectifying for you.

jflanery@postcardinn.com
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was the worst hotel that my husband and I have ever stayed at. To begin with when checking in online we added a fridge to our reservation, when we arrived at the hotel we reminded the front desk and were told yes we would be getting one. When our room was ready, we had no fridge. A call to housekeeping told us it was on its way. Hours later still no fridge so on our way out to buy food we stopped at front desk again and were promised a fridge in our room by the time we returned. Still no fridge, so after a 3rd trip to front desk we were told they ran out of fridges, no apology. I refused to leave the desk until they found us a fridge, which finally a helpful woman named Wanda located for us. Second the hotel is loud, all the time, music blasting out of speakers 4 feet from your hotel room door until 10:00, plus loud drunk people in the courtyard every night. One night there was a wedding reception in the courtyard which was ridiculously loud! There were also drunk 20 year olds who aren't guests wandering around the property and pool partying all weekend. The rooms were ok, clean but dated and in need of updates. There was no hot water for the 6 days we were there. Calls to front desk were impossible because the front desk button didn't work. A call to housekeeping for towels was answered with a "yeah, got it" and then we still had to go get our own towels because none showed up. Staff was friendly enough but had no concept of customer service. When asked at check out if we enjoyed our stay, we said we did not...that was it. No apology, inquiry into what we were unhappy with, or how they could have helped. It's a shame because the location is great, the lobby, restaurant and courtyard area are very cute in a retro kitschy beach way, but unless you are very young and there to party...avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
jflanery, Manager at Postcard Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Rag1975,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at our hotel. I'm so sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay and from your comments it appears that we failed on more than one front. Our goal is to provide our guests with a relaxing and enjoyable experience in a unique setting. Unfortunately, in your case, we fell short of this goal. Please reach out to me directly at Jflanery@postcardinn.com, so that I may research this further and make right what was clearly a poor execution of service.

I look forward to your response.

Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I should start off by saying that I am probably not the demographic for this picturesque hotel on the beach in St. Pete. I'm a 57 year old business woman who generally stays at upscale hotel properties. However, I was curious about the PCI after reading an online survey which listed it as one of the "Top 10 Hotels in the US under $200."

I was suppose to check in on Saturday, April 26 at 3 pm. But, I received a text at 2 pm saying my room wouldn't be ready until 4. OK. I could deal with that. Unfortunately, my room wasn't ready until after 5 pm. Not a good way to start off. My room was very "hipster inspired," but the AC was a window unit which made the room cold, damp and musty smelling. What we in Florida call "cold swamp." I decided I could live with it for a few nights.

After I finally checked in, I passed on the beach since it was getting late and I just needed a nice hot shower. Unfortunately, there was no hot water. In fact, there was no hot water the whole time I was there. I was credited $30 for one night. At the desk I was told "well, it's sort of warm." I'm not sure that "you don't have to take a cold shower" is the best hotel slogan.

If the PCI was as good as it's website, I'd be very happy. But, it just didn't live up to the hip photos and design of its awesome website. While I wasn't totally in love with the PCI, I have to give a big shout out to the staff. Every person I met there was very nice, totally professional and tried to be as helpful as possible. I saw two weddings during my stay and both looked lovely. The crowd at the Beach Bar was a bit on the rough side, but the security guys were on top of things and the drunks from the Bar weren't allowed in the hotel property. It was a little noisy, but things settled down at dark.

Personally, I would not stay here again. However, if you are young, half naked, tattooed and drunk, this is definitely a vibe you are going to love!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear MD2FL,

Thank you for taking the time to post a survey regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I'm glad to know that you had a good time, once you were able to get in to your room. I'm very sorry for the challenges you encountered during your visit. We did have a hot water leak on property and, although we made multiple attempts to locate the source of the leak (with infared and sonar equipment), it did take 5 days to find the leak and correct. Certainly not indicative of the experience we wish to provide to our guests.

I would also like to note that we are going to begin the renovation of our poolside rooms next month. This should significantly improve the overall feel of the rooms and eliminate the "cold swamp" effect related to the wall unit A/C's.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of further assistance.

jflanery@postcardinn.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

The location is awesome, right on the beach and across the street from several shops(7/11, sun n sand, etc). The room we stayed in was ok, the mini fridge didn't work, the new sheets put on the beds were full of sand. Staff was very friendly and helpful! Liked the poolside room, easier with the kids!

Dear janellreece,

Thank you for taking thet time to let us know about your recent visit. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself but wanted to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with your guest room cleanliness. I have forwarded your comments to the housekeeping director to review with her team. I assure you that what you experienced is not indicative of the service we strive to provide.

Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to your return!

Assistant General Manager

Been to Postcard Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!