“Nice beach stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
alabama
“Nice beach stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Trade winds is sprawling and offers some nice extras. Several pools, paddle boats, and a giant slide are some of the perks. A number of restaurants are on property plus an ice cream shop. Our room had a balcony with a view of the beach. We also had a small fridge and a microwave. We paid a little more for this but thought that it was worth it. There is plenty of parking. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Breckenridge so we had a nice beach view and balcony.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at the TradeWinds Island in April and loved it. The kids and adults had fun on the 3-story slide on the beach. The beach and water were wonderful. A great night time recommendation was St John's Pass which is a few miles north of the hotel by car with many restaurants and a boardwalk. A restaurant across from the TradeWinds, Skidders, was less costly than on premises and had a good breakfast.

The beach slide was free as a TradeWinds guest, however, the water inflatable area was a cost. Glad we didn't pay for the water inflatable area as it had a leak in one of the structures so it was taken down. Water inflatable area did not get setup on the last day we were there for whatever reason (as its sub-contracted from hotel). Wouldn't recommend paying for it.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are found facing the north or south. Beach facing rooms can be noisy
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four nights at the beginning of our holiday in Florida. This hotel is very convenient after the long flight from the UK.
We asked for a quiet room and that's what we got. This hotel is very much geared up for families so to some extent I don't feel we were able to get the most out of it as a couple. The room was very comfortable with two large separate beds which is often the norm in the USA. The hotel complex is on the beach. We spent some time in one of the complimentary cabanas on the beach which was very comfortable.
I can't comment on any of the restaurants in the hotel as we didn't eat there. We had breakfast at Skidders and dinner at Silas Dents both across the road which I can recommend.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at this resort for a conference this week. The rooms are very spacious, the staff very courteous,helpful and friendly. There are 5 bars ,5 pools , a giant waterslide and a free cabana with your room price. Food although not gourmet, was good. Many nice intimate restaurants close by cab. We chose Cafe Luna just 5 minutes by cab and it was delicious. This hotel is perfect for families, couples or large or small conferences. They managed so well the ever changing weather conditions and made things look easy to provide. I need to say that blonde curly hair conference staff leader in the front lobby area should get a raise. What a team leader. She kept multiple conference attendees focused, fed and happy. She gets a 5 star rating. I would definitely recommend this hotel for any of the above reasons. And be sure to check out the bar crawl. Pick up a passport for the bar crawl at one of the bars and after having a drink at each of the 5 bars and one appetizer you are given a free t-shirt. Nice touch

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I wish I could write a glowing review, but sadly I can't. We arrived at 3.00 pm and our room wasn't ready. We had to return a hour later. The receptionist spouted out a mantra which was said at such a speed that it was hard to comprehend. The greeting both from the man at the entrance barrier or reception was far from friendly.
We knew that there was a "resort fee" which was 35 dollars per night. Quite what you get for this still isn't clear. Use of the swimming pools? Use of a cabana? Frankly I have stayed in far better places without any extras.
Our room had a sitting room, bedroom and an efficiency kitchen which was useful.
However the bathroom was very dated with a poor shower (no tub) and absolutely nowhere to put our toiletries. To sum up this resort is great for families, but not the ideal place for couples. The noise in the pool areas was horrendous. I would never want to stay here again and frankly if the accommodation had not been paid for in advance we would have left immediately.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This the second review about this place, the first one was removed...

This place is awful. Overpriced, poor attitude of staff, overcrowded, they actually sell day passes to locals, so chairs at the pool are hard to get. Food is shamelessly overpriced and inedible. We paid full price, $550 + $35 a night to be elbow to elbow with trailer park trash. This place has tremendous potential but is so poorly managed that you should just run away. The extra people at the pools causes tremendous chaos. I was watching my 5 and 7 year old in one of the pools (no lifeguards) and a little girl, about 6, started crying and asked me to help her find her parents. I helped her look for her mom and dad, great parents abandoning their 6 year old, who we eventually found. When I got back to the pool my 7 year old daughter told me that a man had tried to take her out of the pool. This is true, the Pinellas County Sheriff took a report on 3/29/15, call them if you don't believe me (727-582-6200). Additionally, when we got home i got an email asking me to complete a survey, I completed the survey factually and unemotionally, not even getting into the attempted abduction of my daughter. I received an email from and administrative assistant which said we are sorry that...and then listed the items in the survey that I mentioned were sub-par; the items were in a different font size. Clearly this was just a cut and paste email that they send, with no sincerity.

As to the incident with my daughter, I will compliment the security staff, as they flooded the area with officers, and they brought in the sheriff's deputy. The good is that they took this issue so seriously, the bad is that they had to start checking people for room keys or wristbands; my point is that if they did not allow so many non-guests into the resort, perhaps it would be safer. Also, the day trippers were not shy about bringing in their own coolers of Busch beer (yes Busch) and lining them up on the edge of the pool...THEIR IS NO OVERSIGHT AT THIS PLACE

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This was our 5th year at Tradewinds! Every year it gets better and better...love this place. This year we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite gulf view and it was near the pool, one of my favorite room by far! Staff is always amazing and very helpful!! So many things to do mini gulf, spa treatments, dive in movies, s'mores and sandbox (at Guy Harvey), paddle boarding, paddle boat, bungee trampoline, painting crafts at the Konk Club (my daughter loves going there), water slide, cabana time (don't forget to your reso for front row, so worth it), making shake tooth necklace with cpt red beard, the pirate show, and corn hole...yes we did it all. We had a amazing dinner (1st time) at Rum Fish Grill, service and food was great!! We also dined at Guys Gulfside grill they have the best fish tacos!! Bermudas steak and seafood is always great we had a nice bottle of Chardonnay from Napa, nice recommendation from our server! Lunch at the flying bridge the seafood chowder and couch fritters is a must have!!
Once again a wonderful stay at Tradewinds Island grand!!!!!! can't wait for next year!!

Room Tip: upgrade to a gulf view...it is worth $!!!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!