“Visited with a conference” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Family Adventure Package
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Visited with a conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

The service was amazing. Everyone was extremely polite and helpful. They do go the extra mile to make people happy. The room was beautiful with a wonderful view of beach. They allow you to bring your pets and have a little dog park. The meeting rooms were cold. I would recommend this resort for a high end vacation weekends.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This was our second time staying at the Tradewinds. It didn't live up to our memories of our last visit two years ago. It is now run by a timeshare management group unbeknown to us. After checking in, we were directed to a second desk to pick up our parking pass. We were tired and hungry after traveling, and now we were being encouraged to sit through a time share spiel. NO thank you! We couldn't get adjoining rooms for our family, so upgraded to a suite. We thought we would save money on food, but the refrigerator didn't work. We asked for maintenance to fix it, but it was never fixed. The suite was nice enough, but the beds were small.
The rooms were very clean and the cleaning crew was very nice.
The pools are very nice and clean. The beach could use a sand rake. There were a lot of cigarette butts all around the cabanas. It was disgusting. The giant slide was a lot of fun.
If you go into the ocean - pay attention to the jellyfish and stingray warnings. My son accidentally stepped on a stingray and was stung. The beach staff didn't know what to do. I'm thankful for the kindness of strangers. Fellow guests were very helpful. The staff members did not know what to do. We were given ice and cold water to treat the wound. We later found out heat is required to treat these injuries. After a lot of bumbling around, one of the staff members agreed to drive us to the parking lot in the beach 4 wheelers to meet my husband at the car so we could go to an urgent
care facility. As we were driving up the beach my son said he lost his vision -- I asked if they had anyone on site, or if the paramedics had been called. I finally had to demand that they call the paramedics. Once called, the paramedics were there quickly -- but it had been appx. 20-30 minutes since the sting occurred. They explained the toxin emitted by the stingray is a heat seeking toxin and hot water or compresses are used to draw the toxin away. The ice and cold water used drove the toxins to the organs.
If nothing else -- I hope the staff members on the beach receive training on how to deal with injuries from the marine life. The paramedics told us that it has been a hot summer and that the stingrays and jellyfish have been drawn to the local beaches. I would assume more people are hitting the beaches to cool down. It seems like a recipe for more accidents.
I will say, Luther, the security guard on duty was very helpful. He assisted my daughter with collecting all of our belongings as well as finding my husband at the car, and reuniting us at the front of the building. He helped the paramedics with obtaining hot water on site, and later assisting us to our room. He also checked in with my husband later in the day.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Karatemama33. Without knowing exactly who you spoke to at first regarding the stingray incident, I immediately forwarded this to both our beach services and activities managers for review with their staff. Our beach operations staff are well aware and trained to assist with stingray incidents such as yours. Unfortunately this does happen from time to time, hence the signage that is posted along the beach stating to take special precautions for stingrays during this particular time of season.
I also want to thank you for the positive comments regarding Luther, our security staff who was assisting you throughout this ordeal. I would not have expected anything less from his efforts, or anyone else on our team.
Thank you.
Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction
drogers@twresort.com
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Everything about the Tradewinds is amazing, from the beach to the food to the rooms. And each person on the staff is so friendly and helpful and seems devoted to making your stay the best experience you will ever have. This was my fourth trip there, and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Take the upgrade and get a gulfside room--the view is amazing! If you have kids, choose a lower room...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Kernersville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This was our first experience with TradeWinds and it was wonderful! The staff was truly amazing and accommodating to all our requests. Though this was a business trip for those of us involved, we were able to bring along our families. The many options were great! From water sports, to putt-putt, to the many pools and restaurants! It was awesome. We voted to come back next year!

Room Tip: Those oceanfront rooms were really nice and gave you a great view!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

When you can't complain about any aspect of the resort, and can only sing their praises then you have found a resort that listens and cares which is a very rare finding in this overoaded resort world we live in. From the welcoming front desk, to all the staff encountered, to the pristine beach and very comfortable meeting rooms, there is nothing more to say except you should really go to the Tradewinds to experience what excellence is all about!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Madeira Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Granddaughter's wedding August 16th, 2014. We held her rehearsal dinner and reception here. Wow, what a wonderful time was had by all. From planning, with Julie Manes to the day. Perfection! Happy!!!!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Overall this hotel is over priced and is know where near 4 1/2 stars.
The rooms are small as too are the beds, we had a double twin room which normally means two normal sized double beds but no they where more like two large singles.
The bar staff at the sawtooth bar/grill were rude but of course wanted tips for doing their jobs. There is a huge amount of building work going on which starts up at 9am and with no warning about this from hotels.com "thanks for that" as had I'd known this I'd not have booked to stay there. The icing on the cake came on our last day when without warning the main pool which over looks the beach/sea was closed for a private filming event in the morning. Burmudas restaurant has all the get up and go of a funeral home. On the positive, the security staff were great, my 8 year old boy got stung by a jelly fish and the two guards which I'm truly greatful too reacted swiftly to with some vinegar. Sorry very bad of me but I never noted there names. The other positive thing about this trip was the beach slide, huge amounts of grin factor but without this you guys need to up your game. Don't count on me returning at its very very best a 3 star or lower motel experience.

Room Tip: Book else were until the building work is finished or get a much much cheaper rate.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Alex. Thank you for the positive comments regarding our security staff who responded to your son being stung by a stingray. By taking immediate and appropriate action, I'm sure this lessened the sensitivity of the sting. Our security and beach services staff are all trained in the treatment process for stingray and jellyfish issues. As Summer is now coming to an end, the water temperature should start decreasing which would at the same time mean much less stingrays and jellyfish.
I have forwarded your comments to our F&B managers for further review where we failed to meet your expectations with the bar staff and the overall ambiance within our Bermuda's restaurant.
I am concerned that you stated we couldn't count on you returning to TradeWinds, but if I could be of any assistance regarding future reservations, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thank you.
Doug Rogers
Director of Guest Satisfaction
drogers@twresort.com

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!