We stayed for a long weekend at the Tradewinds. The first thing you notice about Tradewinds is the lovely staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, but not at all pretentious. The resort has a few different buildings - we stayed on the far side of the Jacaranda building in a standard suite (#2204). We were offered to pay for an upgrade to ocean front but didn't feel the need. Glad we didn't as we had a nice private area that overlooked the property's canal and had a bit of an ocean view. Yes we saw another building and a parking lot, too, but it was still a nice place to sit and have coffee in the morning. It was definitely a good location with smaller kids (6 & 4) since it didn't face the pool or any restaurants/activities that might have been a little louder into the evening. Yes you had to walk a bit further to the pools/beach, but it really wasn't that far (1-2 minutes), so I'll take the quiet location.
The rooms have been updated and were quite clean. The bed was a little soft my taste and definitely more comfy with just me in the bed - when my husband got in there was a little 'roll' into the middle, but not uncomfortable. The pillows were good - nice variety of firmness. Very quiet - never heard showers above or people in other rooms. One night we did hear some noise from the courtyard (not too loud), but we just turned on the bathroom fan for some white noise and problem solved. I will say, the standard suite is a little small. Fine for us with small kids, but I think too small with teenagers (maybe ok for a long weekend, but a week would have been too much). It's great having two rooms when you have little kids who go to bed early, though. But the living area - with 1 couch, 3 person table and small kitchenette - was tight with all 4 of us in it. And the bedroom was also small with both double beds against a wall on one side. The shower/toilet room was tiny. The sink was in the bedroom, but it was difficult to put anything down. With 2 toiletry bags and toothbrushes/paste for a family of 4, there was no where to put anything else. I took to placing my bag on the dresser when not using it so we had somewhere to put water glasses and such. Also, there wasn't a single place for a washcloth or hand towel? You'd have to walk into the shower room with dripping hands/face to get a towel. A hook on the wall would have been very helpful. Also, behind you as you stand at the sink is a nice alcove - a little table there would have made a world of difference to put your needed items within easy reach.
Pools are heated and kids had fun in them. They do get crowded, but with 4 family pools and 1 adult only you can find somewhere that suits you. Lots of seats around them and we never had a problem finding a couple chairs together. Not always poolside, but the next level up where we could still see the pool and were a closer walk to the beach. Kids loved the giant water slide on the beach. Lots of cabanas available for rent. Paddle boat was great fun - sometimes a longish wait, though. We only ate at the poolside place which is casual fare. Fine but pretty basic and resort pricing. Mini golf was a huge hit. Walks around the property. All in all, a very nice long weekend trip away from the cold northeast. Would definitely recommend to my friends with kids.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TradeWinds Island Grand, on the Gulf of Mexico, is located directly on the white sand beaches of St. Pete Beach — voted the No. 1 beach destination in the U.S. by TripAdvisor's 2012 Travelers' Choice Award — and is certified as a Florida Green Lodge. Our recent $20 million renovation included our lobby as well as all 585 guestrooms and suites. Located just 30 minutes from Tampa International Airport, Island Grand offers a variety of recreation activities including JetLev flight center, motorized surfboards, Splash Island Waterpark, children’s programs, paddleboats, tennis, a 3-story tall inflatable waterslide and more. Lounge next to one of our 5 heated pools or sip on your favorite libation at Salty's Poolside Beach Bar. This beachfront setting has a hint of the Island tropics and offers a beach vacation where you run out of vacation before you run out of things to do. All you have to do is pack your things — we’ll pack your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Tradewinds Island Saint Pete Beach
- TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort Saint Pete Beach, Florida