On arrival its very welcoming. Free self parking which was very busy at the weekend. Check in took a while and hotel was always busy with a wedding or convention going on. Walk to the rooms in open corridor was very wet if it was raining and wind howled down the corridor sometimes at night. we were 5th floor in Jacaranda. We were very suprised to know they had just spent $20million on refurbishments. There were 2 standard doubles in the first area. Storage for 5 was very limited to one small drawer for 4 people ..where is the 5th person supposed to put their clothes ? Bathroom fine.Like one youd get at home, basic .Living area was ok.table and chairs for 4 only.kitchen VERY basic and no where to actually put any food except on top of the fridge which was not cleaned.pan handles all lose, no kettle so had to boil water in dodgy pan. thankfully it had a toaster and microwave for breakfast made easier. 5th bed is the sofa which is infact bigger than the double beds..just the usual palava getting it out each day. Kids loved the slide on the beach which was free for guests, as was ONE double cabana which you can prebook the night before. There are 5 of us..where are the other 3 supposed to sit ? Told we would have to pay for extra cabanas $15 each per day and we would need 2 extra..i dont think so..felt cheated especially as there were LOADS of unused cabanas when we were there. so stayed by the pool on free loungers.large pool shut on arrival so 3 kids (who cant use adult pool of course) had to use the small pool near the kids club.Didnt eat at the hotel as restaurant seemed a bit too glam for families. We did have lunch at the Flying Bridge $10 for cocktails (Im not sure they ever put alcohol in it as i get light headed quick but didnt with these)Lunch was nice but a bit samey.The staff at flying bridge in particular were great. I think one was called rob and he was always offering really useful information to make sure we had the most from our stay. Beach guys generally miserable and not very forthcoming or friendly. made us feel we were interupting them most times if we aproached them. Mini golf,hmmmm.. enough said. This hotel was ok..average. suprised Virgin recommend it to be honest. Felt like a slightly upper class motel at times so i was really dissapointed.Loved watching the dolphins. we upgraded to a gulf view and it was lovely, just not sure why some had proper balconies, our balcony was about 20cm deep so not really a balcony at all. Air con was great during the day but seemed not to be able to cope at night for some reason. An average hotel, no thrills except a big slide and a cabana if one is enough for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TradeWinds Island Grand, on the Gulf of Mexico, is located directly on the white sand beaches of St. Pete Beach — voted the No. 1 beach destination in the U.S. by TripAdvisor's 2012 Travelers' Choice Award — and is certified as a Florida Green Lodge. Our recent $20 million renovation included our lobby as well as all 585 guestrooms and suites. Located just 30 minutes from Tampa International Airport, Island Grand offers a variety of recreation activities including JetLev flight center, motorized surfboards, Splash Island Waterpark, children’s programs, paddleboats, tennis, a 3-story tall inflatable waterslide and more. Lounge next to one of our 5 heated pools or sip on your favorite libation at Salty's Poolside Beach Bar. This beachfront setting has a hint of the Island tropics and offers a beach vacation where you run out of vacation before you run out of things to do. All you have to do is pack your things — we’ll pack your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Venere, Priceline and Otel so you can book your TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Tradewinds Island Saint Pete Beach
- TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort Saint Pete Beach, Florida