“Best vacation ever!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Best vacation ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was our first visit to St. Pete's Beach and our family of five -with three teenagers - had a fabulous time at Tradewinds! The beach was beautiful and the crystal, clear water was so relaxing. We had a water-front two bedroom suite with a balcony which had a lovely view of the waterway. The room was very spacious for our large family, amenities were quite nice! Housekeeping was very responsive and speedy to our request for additional towels, etc... The hotel itself is luxurious without being overpriced and staff members were very helpful and friendly. The best place for poolside drinks, snacks or light dinner is The Flying Bridge. The bartenders there, especially Nash and Kirsten, made our stay one of the best we've ever had. They are extremely personable and friendly.Thanks to Nash and Kirsten we'll be back again next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
Estero, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our family wanted to get away for a few days and not spend an arm and a leg. I tried Destin, but that was outrageous. With 5 people in our family, I tried a cruise, but nothing was going out the time we were looking at. My husband heard of TradeWinds from a friend. We looked it up online and it looked beautiful. I called the number and first spoke to someone who gave me prices. When I called back to book, I spoke to another person who said he was at the resort - the other was not directly related to the resort. He was able to give me the FL discount all days we were there. Very helpful!! His explanation of the grounds and the activities the kids could do was very good. Despite the weather, we had a fun time. I do have to say it was a bit crowed, but I guess that's what you get in the middle of July in FL. The cabana was enjoyable on the beach, as was the floating cabana. Our room was ok, but I didn't pay for the ocean-view because we hardly weren't in the room. My only complaints were I heard there was a FL teacher discount, but when I approached the check-in desk, they said there was nothing they could do. I would just have to ask the next time I visit. The food was good, but personally, for a family of 5, it was very overpriced. On average, lunch was $70 and dinner was $130 - times 5 days!!! The security was a little over-the-top. One night an incident happened where the police arrived. We came back from dinner and waited in line for valet for our car - we wanted to self park but nothing was available. The security guard was not very polite to my husband. I understand something is happening, but it's not the fault of the other guests. Take care of them as well. Overall, it didn't feel like I was 2 hours from home. We will be back - only the next time I will make sure I use my teacher discount!

Waltham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a very nice property with tons of on-site amenities. I booked the lowest priced room and got a smallish room with two queen beds and a view of the courtyard. The room was up-to-date and modern with very comfortable beds. I really like that there was a wet bar in the room with a mini fridge and microwave. We didn't take too much advantage of this, but I could see if you were staying a week that it would be a great way to save some money and keep some breakfast and lunch supplies on hand (as well as keep some beer for the beach nice and frosty!)

The bathroom was small and not super lux, but clean. We were supplied with Aveda bath products (which I love). The shower was equipped with a rain shower head which made for a great shower experience.

All of the staff I came in contact with were friendly and helpful. There were also always lots of staff on maintaining the property -- overall the property was very clean and well maintained.

The real benefit to this hotel is that the cabana rentals are included with the "resort fee" (though, I have issues with resort fees in general this one included the cabana rental and parking along with paddle boats, mini golf, and the giant water slide on the beach.) The property is soooo close to the beach and having a chair and cabana rental every day made for a relaxing vacation (though kind of lame that it costs $15 extra per day for a front row chair...)

I liked that there were a variety of bars on the property which made it easy to go out without the need to drive -- we listened to some fun acoustic covers one night. The food we ate on property was ok though we ate dinners off of the resort. Had good fish tacos at the Flying Bridge.

There was a lot of activities -- paddle boats, mini-golf, the giant slide -- that we did not partake in, but looked fun. Since we were only there for two days, we mostly stuck to the beach.

There's no hot tub in the adult only area -- and when we tried to use the hot tubs in the other areas they were filled with kids. Not so relaxing and kind of disappointing. And in general this is a very family friendly resort, so if it bothers you, there are lots of kids and teens running around.

One other minor quibble. Ordered a breakfast sandwich at the deli/general store -- $4.95 with sausage, but another buck for bacon. That didn't make sense to me. And then, if you wanted a bagel that wasn't plain, another $2 -- seemed like a really silly way to nickel and dime people. But I guess that's to be expected at a larger resort.

Overall, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Family of 4 booked 2 room suite, requested king bed in one room, not available at check-in. We were told our room wasn't available and to use the facilities until it was available at 4. Still wasn't available at 4 as the previous occupant hadn't checked out. Took until 5:30 to get into our room. Supervisor apologized and gave us complimentary dinner and breakfast passes. Room was older with odd layout and we were right across from the elevator. In addition to being an old room, the burner on the stove popped off during cooking and no one came to fix it. We requested to be moved to another room with a king bed when it became available Monday. While the location was better, the configuration was the same and there was mold on the grout in the bathrooms. The beach is very nice although the week we were there the weather was cloudy with periods of rain and thunder. The hotel is very concerned about guest safety and would close the pools and bring in the water toys at the first sign. We did learn to paddleboard and jet ski two things I wanted our family to try. Food at the restaurants was ok, we did eat a few times at restaurants on St Pete Beach, very casual with good food.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The only reason we came to tradewinds was because it was per friendly . If you consider a 25 ft square of grass a dog park then that is pathetic , little paw prints around a stupid moat is the only
Place the dogs can go , rooms where not that nice and beyond overpriced ... The parking is insane they don't have enough spaces for there guests , everything was a pain there ..even calling the front desk was a nightmare , long lines to check in the whole expierence was more stressful
Then anything else ,DON'T GO HERE
Horrible service in a compound motel

• Stayed July 2013
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Please accept our apology for failing to meet your expectations regarding being pet friendly. Yes, we are pet friendly and so is our Guy Harvey Outpost, with proper documentation provide in advance. We have pet packages and pets are allowed a larger area than what you mentioned, including some of the dunes and beach areas on the south end of the property.
Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This resort is amazing. Had such a great time. The staff and amenities are awesome. So much to do on the premises. I will be going back in October. Being a pet lover Trade Winds has great accommodations for pets.

• Stayed July 2013
Sayville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Last summer we took our two granddaughters to the Trade Winds. Since last years trip was so fantastic for the girls we took our other two grandaughters there this July. They LOVED it just as much as the first two did. So much for them to do!!High Tide Water Slide, Splash Island, Bungy Jumping, mini golf, paddleboats, and contests to enter. Our poolside rooms were a bit noisy on Fri and Sat nites but the convenience outweighed the cons. The staff could not have been nicer. Car service with Jeff (arranged at the desk) took us to the Aquarium to Wade with the Dolphins... that was quite a thrill. Hair braiding for the girls (done next door at the Sirata hotel by Joan) was less expensive than at TW. Jeff was ready and waiting to take us to the airport.Another great trip ends!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Katie M, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Glad to hear you had a wonderful vacation with your grandkids! And that you made it to the aquarium. Hope to see you back soon for another trip!

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!