“Great Location!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Muncie, Indiana
“Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had so much fun at TradeWinds! We didn't really need to leave the resort much which made it nice. We did go to out to breakfast every morning but there are a lot of places around the resort to eat out at. They have many activities for people to do. We would love to go back again! I liked that they had cabanas for the resort guests so you didn't have to go rent one. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed 4 days as part of a 2 week trip in Florida (Orlando, Longboat Key, St Pete's). After staying in Longboat Key, the general area of St Pete's initially disappointed. We checked in, lucky to find a parking spot, and paid $30 extra per night for a King room with balcony. Into the room, initially disappointed at size. Style was ok, but balcony & kitchen area was very small. Great to have a large bed, large TV and excellent internet access though (included in resort fee).

So first night's sleep, and we're woken at 1am with a cockroach crawling on my girlfriend's arm. We also noticed ants in the sink and doorway, but a cockroach is simply too much. Squeamish, we complained to request a different room. After initially being told the hotel was full, they did magically find a different room, without a King bed. After a chat with the manager the following day, we managed to waive the upgrade cost (we had to ask!). So while they did act, they were far from embarrassed or apologetic. I get the impression this happens a lot. I'd expect a 4-star resort to go the extra mile in their apology and actually offer something we didn't ask for. Oh, we also saw a rat near the mini-golf (i.e. back of the kitchen area), but that's just one of those things... right?

Unfortunately, we checked in on a Saturday night. The place was rammed, and we encountered several very drunk men on route to our new room. Our new room which was right across from a loud bar, noisy until 2am. We also heard the couple upstairs arguing, and could clearly hear the guy having a pee above our bed. Romantic!

The remaining days of the trip we slept with the light on. It got quieter and we had an ok time. Even though this resort has just had a renovation, I wouldn't rate it as a 4-star hotel. Maybe 3-star.

The beach, beach staff, and sunsets were really good, and we even saw Dolphins on multiple occasions. The towel situation is a bit odd (queue up, get towels, hand back special slip when checking out)

The surrounding area was pretty dated, and service levels were poor in non-resort eateries. Beef O'Bradys in the resort was great, and there's a nice Italian place just down the road near the CVS.

Overall, after a great stay in Longboat Key, St Pete's disappointed. This resort disappointed further due to cockroaches, poor service, and cramped accommodation. There isn't much to do locally, and the beach can get busy.

I thought long and hard about whether to do this review, I don't like to be too harsh as things like this are often rare... but that's what happened. We were asked several times how our stay was, and we always replied honestly. This was generally met with a "yeah, well, that's Florida" and very few apologies. I just hope the hotel take these reviews on board and try to remedy it with pest control and more compassionate staff. Sadly, we won't be back, and can't recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the upgrade, the balcony is tiny. Beach view will be quieter and have MUCH better...
Ithaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a conference meeting at this hotel in October 2012. Was very impressed by staffs at TradeWinds, they were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was kept very clean. Nice access to the white sand beach. You will not regret staying at the hotel. The only bad experiences I had was with the resort transportation services, I made a reservation before I left home. They confirm my reservation to pick me up at the airport, but they failed to show up.

Room Tip: Rooms facing West have excellent sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The rooms range, stayed in the hotel to the right, when facing the property. The room was quite spacious and had a mini kitchen. However, in the past, had a room in the bungalows between the two bigger buildings. I found those rooms to be much smaller. I would love to bring my family. I hope I have the opportunity for more training in the future here. Found the staff to be more than helpful. Told the receptionist that I was wary of sharing a room with a stranger and he was super kind and gave a voucher for a small welcome gift with the concierge. Needed a sewing kit and they had that for free as well. It was raining and they staff offered umbrellas to walk between the venues for the training.

Room Tip: Say no to the shorter bungalow buildings and go for the rooms in the larger buildings.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Fla.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

First, a confession. When I moved to Florida almost 25 years ago, I saw billboards for the Tradewinds lining I-75 and I thought "I want to go there." This weekend, I finally did and the resort for the most part lived up to its billings. But when it fell short, well, it was just disappointing.

The layout of the resort made my wife and I feel like it was several neighboring hotels that had been bought through the years and added to the Tradewinds brand. There was a confusing and confounding boardwalk path linking different areas of the resort, but the overall theme was "you can't get there from here."

Knowing how disjointed the footprint of the resort is, the Tradewinds scattered restaurants and bars throughout the property. Looking at the menus, it seems as though the resort has done a nice job in hitting different price points among the guests. We ate lunch Sunday at the Flying Bridge and were more than happy with the burger and fish tacos. We also stopped at the Bridge for a drink Sunday afternoon, where I had an "Almost Joyous." I'm ready to go back for another serving or two of that decadence.

Enough about the property. On to the room.

We upgraded to get a gulffront room and then upgraded again to get a balcony. The view from Room 4218 was spectacular, but that balcony was the first disappointment of the weekend.

The balcony was, and this is being kind, tiny. How tiny, you ask? Well, there were two patio chairs facing each other on the balcony. They had to face each other because the balcony was so shallow that you really couldn't sit there facing out toward the beach. I guess you could've if you stretched your legs between the railings and let them hang down, but doing that really wasn't very comfortable.

Inside the room was a continuation of highs and lows. The bedroom area felt spacious and we appreciated the mini-fridge and Samsung television with a great picture. I don't know what cable or satellite service the resort uses, but we thought the channel selection was far too limited.

The bathroom felt almost as tiny as the balcony. The ceiling above the shower was far too short, but kudos to the Tradewinds for noticing that flaw. The shower curtain was sheer at the top, which help eliminate the real potential for claustrophobia in the shower. The downer, though, was the toilet paper holders. I wonder how many people have hurt their backs trying to twist to get paper while sitting there. It almost felt like I would've needed to be a contortionist to get the paper.

So, if you've read this far, you're probably wondering why 4 stars instead of 5. Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I've included a picture of the air conditioning vent in the room. It was rusty and covered with dust and mold. It was disgusting and disappointing that the resort's property managers would've have a better schedule for deep cleaning.

It won't stop us from going back to the Tradewinds, but when we do, we'll be sure to ask that the vents be cleaned before we get into the room. We shouldn't have to, but apparently, it's needed.

Room Tip: We were in Room 4218, which are directly gulffront. Despite the dirty vents, I'd recommend the r...
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

From the moment you drive in, you can tell that TradeWinds is going to be a great experience. The staff is well-trained to be guest-friendly, our rooms (Gulf view) were in top-notch condition, and there are all kinds of activities and places to just hang out and enjoy your stay. As opposed to staying at a motel or hotel on the beach, TradeWinds is a full-service resort and they have it all from Starbucks to the Tiki Bar to finer dining. Our family of six in two rooms, including two teens, loved it. The beach and warm Gulf waters at St. Pete Beach are amazing.

Room Tip: We have stayed at TradeWinds several times, in different kinds of rooms in different buildings and h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

After 30 years of marriage and finally getting our kids through college and out of the house, my wife and I decided to finally spend some money on us. After checking many reviews we decided on the Tradewinds on St. Pete Beach and we had an outstanding time. Our beachfront room with a nice balcony provided us with the perfect spot for enjoying evening cocktails while watching fabulous sunsets each night. Our room which looked like it had been recently renovated had a comfy king sized bed and efficency which was ideal for breakfast. Their many restraunts provided a wide range of dining experiences with our favorite being the Palm Court. I would highly recommend the Tradewinds to anyone looking for a great vacation in the St. Pete area. Thanks for making our anniversary one to remember. I'm sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a beachfront room if possible. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!