“Wonderful anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fishers, Indiana
“Wonderful anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

After 30 years of marriage and finally getting our kids through college and out of the house, my wife and I decided to finally spend some money on us. After checking many reviews we decided on the Tradewinds on St. Pete Beach and we had an outstanding time. Our beachfront room with a nice balcony provided us with the perfect spot for enjoying evening cocktails while watching fabulous sunsets each night. Our room which looked like it had been recently renovated had a comfy king sized bed and efficency which was ideal for breakfast. Their many restraunts provided a wide range of dining experiences with our favorite being the Palm Court. I would highly recommend the Tradewinds to anyone looking for a great vacation in the St. Pete area. Thanks for making our anniversary one to remember. I'm sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a beachfront room if possible. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Absolutely loved our stay here. We had ocean front room. Great room with balcony on the beach. Beautiful sunsets. Had a great time at Salty's Tiki bar while watching baseball and listening to live music, laying on the beach, swimming in the pool, playing on the superwaterslide and so much more. Staff was fantastic and the bed was extremely comfortable. Will definetely be going back!

Room Tip: Oceanside or Bust!!!
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I really liked the resort all except for the prices of the activities they have there. To go down the big water slide it costs $4 for each time you go or $25 for a day. The only free things here is the minature golf and the paddle boating, if you want to call it "free", you have to pay resort fees. The staff was nice and the hotel was clean, the bed was amazing and I wanted to take the pillow home with me! I loved being able to go right to the beach or any one of the multiple pools on site. They also have happy hour where they offer their own mixed drink (punch) for free from 5-6pm, which is pretty good. I think that the price per night is pretty steep for me but I had a great time. Also we paid for the tropical view room, I recommend getting or holding out for a top floor room as you will get an ocean view, more than likely which is amazing and you dont have to pay for an ocean view. A definite plus. Another amazing thing was the second night they had some of the best fireworks I've ever seen, on the beach. I guess it was the celebration for the end of hurricane season, what an awesome bonus! Loved my stay

Room Tip: Like I said, go for a higher room, we were on the 6th floor, we had a balcony that had a great view...
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The TradeWinds is definitely a fun hotel for children - plenty of stuff to keep them busy and having fun. It is also pet friendly, which is pretty cool (although they do charge $30/day extra for the pet). They give you a gift bag of goodies for your dog when you check in. The staff were very attentive and nice. The only down side were the beds and pillows. The mattress was lumpy and I had back pain after sleeping on them for 2 nights. The pillows were too soft. For what we paid per night, I was very disappointed with the beds. I can[t help but wonder if the beds were bad because we stayed in a "pet friendly" room.

Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked 2 nights at the Tradewinds Island Grande for a family weekend away with some other friends and their families. I was not impressed. I have somewhat high expectations considering the rate we paid for this hotel. We booked a standard parlor room and the room was ok. Nothing special. It was smaller than I expected based on the description. The beds were mediocre at best, blankets felt like plastic and there was a brown stain on the sheets. The air conditioner was one of those noisy wall units that you can never set to a comfortable temperature. It was either freezing or hot and I did not sleep well because of it. We couldn't work the TV and there was no channel guide. The alarm clock went off at 8 am even though we did not set it and it had a really bright light that lit up the room at night. Now for the amenities... The hotel was crowded. You had to wait in a long line for beach towels or to buy tickets for the beach activities. The staff was not helpful with our beach cabana at all, the thing kept falling on us. The staff was terrible in fact. I think I found one person the entire time that actually made an effort to be polite. The rest of them acted like a bunch of beach bum kids that didn't want to be bothered. Walking into the room with a crying, cranky toddler at 3 pm, the maid walked up and asked if I wanted my room made up, at 3 pm! Trying to order a sandwich to go from the pool side restaurant, I was sent pick it up at the grill, then the man behind the grill told me to go get my meat out of the buffet trays over there. WHAT??? The pools are small, crowded, and loud. In the evening, there are stumbling drunks everywhere. Now that I got that off my chest... the beach is beautiful. The water is calm and shallow which is great for kids. Sunsets were gorgeous and the highlight of our trip. Just bring your patience or stay somewhere else. I recommend Siesta Key instead.

Room Tip: The Jacaranda building has central AC.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Absolutely loved our stay here. We had ocean front room. Great room with balcony on the beach. Beautiful sunsets. Had a great time at Bongos restaurant and bar, laying on the beach, swimming in the pool, jet skiing and so much more. Staff was fantastic and the bed was extremely comfortable. Will definetely be going back!

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor for the best rooms. Save money by traveling in the off season. Was a bi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was our third trip to Tradewinds with our grandson… we obviously liked it well enough to return… but we encountered some problems with the kids activities that bear mentioning.

Let me begin by saying that we love this resort. We have always opted for the standard ocean-front rooms with a balcony, great view and excellent for early morning coffee with no rising sun in your eyes! Rooms are clean and reasonably up-to-date. On-site restaurants and bars are nice (but a bit pricey) if you don't want to leave the property for meals. Our favorite, the Flying Bridge, was closed for maintenance our second morning there and, despite several inquiries about its reopening (answer: "It will probably reopen this afternoon") it was still closed with equipment stacked to the ceiling when we left six days later. Oh, well.

The staff, with the exceptions noted below, are the friendliest and most helpful we have encountered at this level of resort.

The employees at the Adventure Center, where you book all of the kid's activities, were another story. They had little knowledge of the schedule or the availability of some of the activities, and were the only employees at the resort who made you feel like it was an imposition to ask them a question.

Our grandson was finally old enough to do the bungee trampoline activity this year, but when we inquired about them we got the response "They're closed right now and I think they might be down for maintenance all week." No offer to find out, no interest in helping. Three attempts at the airbrush tattoo booth for kids got with the same ambivalent answers - "nobody here right now", "we're out of paint", "machine is broken". Of course, all of these activities are additional $$ and one would think that they would be somewhat interested in accommodating you.

The last night we were there we took our grandson to the KONK Club "Camp Safari" - a $60 additional charge evening in which the kids were to "Search for animals, explore the 20-acre resort, take an evening paddleboat cruise & make campfire s’mores." This "camp safari", as we found out the next day, consisted of painting a couple of cheap wooden refrigerator magnets and picture frame, and watching a movie while sitting in the kiddie pool. No animals, no paddleboats, no campfire. Just some expensive babysitting. I would suggest that anyone interested in their kids participating in these activities to find out exactly what is involved before shelling out the $60 and being disappointed.

That being said, we will still probably return with our grandson during fall break next year, but will be more careful in paying extra $$ for the additional activities.

As a side note, the Pirate Ship Cruise that leaves from John's Pass is a great experience for kids. Includes an eleven mile roundtrip cruise down the beach, with dolphin sightings and constant activities for the kids.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!