“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
waco
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

We were there for a convention and the resort was wonderful! I would like to bring my family back sometime for a vacation. The room was very nice and spacious and the food was excellent. I would have liked more time to spend around the beautiful pools and on the white sandy beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Thank you for a great experience!

• Liked — It was on St. Pete beach!
  • Disliked — the beds weren't very comfortable
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
Albany, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

I pricelined a 4 star hotel on St. Pete Beach-- my bid was $125 a night (2 nights) and I got it. I paid almost $300 to Priceline after taxes, and I was not happy to get a $56 bill at the end of my 2 night stay. This included a $25 per day "resort fee." So you can understand that I was also annoyed that I had to pay $1 per page printed from their Business Center.
I believe this is the only 4 star hotel on St. Pete Beach, so this is the hotel you will get if you bid. The sheets were very worn, but the place was clean, and the service was good. We didn't use the beach except to take in the sunsets... which were amazing. I waited in a long line to check in and to check out, but we were served complimentary punch while waiting to check in... nice touch.
Overall, it's too pricy for what you get, and beware of the hidden fees.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

I won a 4 day, 3 night stay at the Tradewinds, and after reading the mixed reviews here on this site, I wasn't quite sure on what to expect.

Well, I will start with the positive. Check- in was easy and breezy, and when we walked into our clean, bright and cheery room, I knew we would have a relaxing stay. The location of our room was central, and in an older building jutting forward towards the beach..it was perfect. Although we didn't have a balcony, we could open the doors to let the breezes in, and had a perfect view of the white sand and palm trees. If you can request a gulf-front room, ask for the Poincinia building..it has three floors, and we were on the top..so noone was above us (bonus!).

The lobbies and grounds were very clean. Most of the activities were included with the $25 fee(which was included with my win)

Free internet is in the lobby business center, and there is a kiosk serving Starbucks during the day, and is turned into a bar at night.

Wireless is throughout the entire hotel.

We mostly sat at the adult only pool, as we do not have any children and found the other pools to be crowded, and louder with children's antics.

We took full advantage of the fun water activities including the water trykes, paddle boats and the beach cabanas.

At night we ate at some local joints and also tried berumada's for fish and salad, which was delicious (try the grouper, if they have it). Also, during the day we had salads, and sandwiches at the flying bridge cafe on the edge of the beach. The salads are quite fresh..I was pleased to find.

At night we found ourselves listening the the live music at the Pirate cafe and also near the adults only pool, which was fun!

We won 2 massages, and treated ourselves to the aromatherapy massages at the spa, which was lovely and relaxing.

Sunsets were gorgeous , and the beach was super fun, and clean.

My one major complaint, is that even though the resort claims to be smoker free (I am asthmatic, and very allergic to carcinogenic smoke including cigarettes and cigars)..I ran into smokers everywhere including when we were eating our outside brunch (blech). There really should be designated smoking areas, which does not include outside your very clearly marked non-smoking room (several cigar stinky smokers ignore the signs). Also, at night, children were running in and out of the pools and hot tubs,..there should be an adults only hot tub so we dont have tto deal with the screaming.

All in all, the resort was restful, clean and fun for a couple of 30 something kids at heart.

If you get the AA magazine, before you leave for your trip..make sure you request info about this resort and you will be sent a $100 card to be used towards food, drink or spa services at the resort...a wonderful find.

• Liked — the beach, the water activities, the massages
  • Disliked — unattended screaming children, smokers
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kennewick WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

My experience at the Island Grand Beach Resort was exceptional. From the moment of arrival the service was beyond excellent. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The food in the restaurants(that I went to) was wonderful and the service within the restaurant was excellent. The pools are very clean and attended to. I enjoyed my full week at this resort.

• Liked — Every need was met. Very clean.
  • Disliked — There wan't anything I didn't like.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

Two of my girlfriends and I stayed for a 2-night 50th birthday celebration weekend and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. From the girl who helped me book this over the phone to the valet guys, to the front desk, to the bartenders, waiters, room service, Spa personnel and to the girl we checked out with, everyone went out of their way to make this a great weekend. Our room was immaculate with a private balcony and gorgeous view overlooking the water. The accomodations were fantastic and there were many extras. The concierge even sent up a gift basket for my birthday. I'd stayed here previously with my family but for my friends, it was there first time, both extensive travelers, they were extremely impressed. It was fantastic!

• Liked — The absolute beauty of the whole resort!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort was the designated conference center for a distance education conference I recently attended. Overall, I was very impressed with the resort. The initial greeting by the staff was warm and I was amazed at how many buildings were managed by the resort. Lots of activities for families and the beach was very nice, clean and peaceful. I can recommend seeing St. Pete Beach from this resort.

The hotel uses an air freshener/scent that is very tropical and pleasant but may be strong for some individuals with allergies. The session rooms were adequate but space was sometimes limited for the number of individuals wishing to attend that particular session. This probably was not the fault of the resort but a logistics problem for the conference planners.

Overall, the food at the conference was very good. Only one meal received a thumbs down from our table, the vegetable wrap, but the clam chowder before the meal made up for any deficit in the wrap. The brunch on the last day was especially nice and timely for those who had to leave before the conference formally ended (flight arrangements, etc). The restaurant served an amazing breakfast buffet all within view of St. Pete Beach. Also, the seafood served by the local restaurants was excellent.

• Liked — Beach access and pools
  • Disliked — Room location in respect to the conference area - large resort
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed here for a conference and was pleasantly surprised when I received a beach-view room for the low conference rate. The layout of the property gets some getting used to. You'll need a map at first.

The location is excellent. St. Pete Beach is pretty laid back, not as much traffic as other beach areas. Service was good, as was free wireless internet service. Food was mediocre, but I only tried the sports bar place.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort? Share your experiences!