“Great Location and Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Location and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

We booked a room for my son's 16th birthday party. The staff were very friendly and extremely accommodating from the moment we booked the room until we checked out. We had a two bedroom suite on the first floor facing the pool and beach - perfect location for the party. The kids could come in and out of the back doors without disturbing other guests and the pool and beach were just a few steps away. All of our guests commented on what a great location we had for the party. The room was older and in need of a few minor repairs (mostly cosmetic), but was clean and it served its purpose. Overall, service was excellent and the kids had a great time, which is what the weekend was all about anyway.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - St. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Greetings, VFamily5. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are very happy to read that your son enjoyed his 16th birthday celebration by our pool. I had the opportunity to take a walk around the pool when all the kids were down there and they all appeared to be having a great time, which was extremely gratifying itself. Thank you for your kind words regarding my staff. Each employee on staff takes great pride in providing our guests with exceptional customer service and it means a lot when their hard work is noticed. In regards to the suite you were in needing a few "minor cosmetic repairs" I'm happy to say that we have many updating coming later this year!

Again, thank you for writing a review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Port Orange, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Hotel is very old needs to be updated but other than that had a blast!!! Great location , wonderful bar, meat lovers pizza is awesome !!!! great staff, clean rooms , Would come back again just wish more rooms had oceanview or oceanfront

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - St. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Greetings, Deron M. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I am very pleased to read that you "had a blast" while with us. My staff takes pride in providing our guests with exceptional customer service and it's always a pleasure when it's noticed. In regards to the hotel needing some updates, I'm pleased to inform you that we will be updating some features in the guest rooms as well as to the property.

Again, thank you for writing your review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to our beach.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The beachfront location of this hotel can't be beat! We stayed in one of the 5th floor suites and they are so big and roomy. It was really convenient to have the full kitchen and extra space. We were traveling with other family members so it gave us a nice place to gather. It was perfect to just walk out of the hotel onto the beach and the hotel restaurant is right there on the beach too. Overall, we had a great stay and would return.

Stayed August 2014
Greetings, Staceyp 1978 . The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for your 5 star review. I gives me great pleasure to read the both you and your family enjoyed themselves while with us. Being located right on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our property can not be beat. I'm pleased to read that you found the suite you stayed in "big and roomy." Our suites certainly provide more than adequate room to move around, or have family dinners. I'm happy you were able to take advantage of the space!!!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to our area!
Central Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Old, yes! Tired, yes! Carpets and room amenities (dishes and silverware) in desperate need of a major makeover. However, because it is one of the very best locations on St. Pete Beach this HoJo resort continues to offer good value for the price. Nearby 'resorts' cost twice as much and charge a daily fee for parking, wifi and add on activities that we as a couple are not interested in using. The HoJo resort does not charge additional for parking and wifi. The greatest attributes the HoJo offers are: location; warm and friendly service by the entire staff; excellent restaurant and tiki bar; excellent beach access; good sized swimming pool and an ample selection of fine restaurants within walking distance. Two large chain supermarkets are only a few minutes drive, one north and the other south, of the HoJo.

Room Tip: If more than one room is available for the price range selected you may want to compare the rooms pr...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear PeteCentral. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I must say I enjoyed reading your review, as you pointed out most of the reasons that our location can not be beat. First being our prime location right on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach. Secondly, our customer service. My staff takes great pride in providing our guests with exceptional customer service and it's always a pleasure when our guests mention it.

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We've traveled to Florida on multiple occasions, but it was our first time to the west coast. We weren't sure of what to expect and slightly concerned because we were joining family who'd traveled from Texas. We were truly hoping they wouldn't be disappointed with the arrangements. The accommodations exceeded our expectations, the staff extremely attentive and Mina, the manager, was an outstanding example of professionalism in the hospitality industry. The rooms were immaculate, the tubs drained well (no build up of excess dirty water while showering) and the amount of space in what could only be described as a suite was amazing. Dish washing soap as well as tablets for the dishwasher were provided, the fridge was full size, and there were televisions in both the bedroom and living room areas. My only regret is that we could not have stayed longer. While we had not originally planned to return, it is now a serious consideration based upon our experience, the easy accessibility to the beach as well as the great food and spirits of the reasonably priced restaurant by the ocean.

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor suites with ocean views if you intend to utilize stove, fridge and dishwasher.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - St. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Greetings, Leonard C. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for your 5 star review. Thank you very much for your kind words concerning my staff as well as myself. It truly is our pleasure to provide our guests with exceptional customer service, and I appreciate your taking the time to mention it in your review.

Again, thank you very much for your 5 star review. I look forward to seeing you and your family the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to St. Pete Beach now for over 20years, I travel from the UK to enjoy the gorgeous weather and to have the perfect beach holiday away from all the hassle of a busy life!

Upon arriving at the Hojo on St. Pete beach, I thought this holiday would be enjoyable. I booked the hotel through hotels.com in the UK a short time before travelling, the pictures of the hotel looked great, however upon arrival my views of the hotel changed somewhat.

We were allocated a room on the 3rd floor, which faced Postcard inn hotel. Upon exiting the lift on the 3rd floor, there was a putrid smell which hit you in the face. I could only describe the smell as cat urine.

The carpet along the corridor was disgusting, the corridor wasn't bright even when the lights were on.
I entered into my room, I could smell a slight musty smell in the air, dirty looking carpet and dirty tiles by the sliding glass door which when opened takes you onto the balcony, (Pictures taken).

Bathroom wasn't the biggest, I saw a few pubic hairs left in the bathtub from the last guest, which then started alarm bells ringing in my ears,.........how clean is this room really?
As a previous person has written, I also could see urine splash marks on the tiles against the toilet, I also noticed a dead fly on the bathroom floor besides the toilet,who also must of been on holiday too, as he/she didn't leave the floor during the whole time I stayed there!
Also the sink in the bathroom was a quarter full of dirty water, again I asked the housekeepers about getting it removed, their response was "it's not my issue", which I find the attitude of the housekeeping to be poor, a paying guest doesn't expect that......ask yourself this, if you were I, would you want to be treated like that? I guess not.

Even the basics such as, replenishing the coffee and tea bags & putting fresh plastic/paper cups for hot drinks, this was NOT done throughout the whole stay, which would put this hotel below budget hotels.

The bed sheets weren't even changed for the whole stay (8 nights), I know this as I spilt some crips on the bed sheets which left an orange stain accidentally, I find this to be somewhat disgusting that a hotel doesn't even change bed sheets!
Also the wooden head boards where dusty, thank god I don't suffer from chest problems. The joke of house keeping, was that they'd knock on your room at 0900hrs to ask if you wanted service & all they did was make the bed and replace the towels, I mean waking people up everyday even when the "do not disturb" was being displayed on the door.
This does sound like I'm moaning about everything, but the housekeeping staff just weren't bothered about my concerns of how dirty the room was.

This hotel does really fall below the standard of what any paying guest would expect.
This hotel is in need of a renovation, new housekeeping team, it's a very tired place. I will never return to this hotel at all.
Please take my advice, don't walk around in bare feet, god knows what you'll pick up!
Only due to the fact I'd booked through the internet, I would of checked out.

The final nail in the coffin for me with regards to this hotel, was the stench of cannabis being smoked by people on balconies around us. The stench is eye watering at weekends, due to the number of people who cram into "party" on cannabis and alcohol.

On the day of checking out, the room opposite was open and two house keepers where inside. One was sat on the brown drawers with her feet inc dirty shoes on the chair & the other was sat on the bed talking about things that people would not want to hear. Upon seeing this, it just portrays an unprofessional image from the staff towards the guests and is rather unsatisfactory.

I would not recommend this hotel to friends or family.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - St. Pete Beach FL? Share your experiences!