“Basic and Clean” 4 of 5 stars

Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
“Basic and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

This is the only place we stay when we go to St Pete Beach. It's always clean and well maintained. The staff is courteous and we always feel safe! This is a basic beach hotel, no frills and no big resort amenities. It is right on the gulf and has a great pool area to hang out at if your all beached out!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights in March. Our goal was to find a reasonable hotel, on the beach, and that's what we found. The location is great!
PROS
Location can't be beat, walking distance to most things we needed. We had a car, but hardly used it.
The staff were very friendly from the front desk, to the cleaning staff.
The hotel was dated, but it was clean. We certainly didn't find any indication of bedbugs, and trust me, that's the first thing I check for when I enter the room.
Unlike other hotels in the area, parking was easy and plentiful, even though the hotel was full.
The pool area was clean and had plenty of lounge chairs. The bar at the pool was a bonus. Drinks were priced similarly to all the other beach bars in the area.
CONS
Late night noise from the beach bar at the hotel next door. We were on the north side of the hotel but I think it would be quieter on the south side.
Air conditioner worked well, but it was noisy.
The balconies are small, but two can still sit on it for morning coffee.
Not great views of the gulf unless you have a Gulf view room, but we didn't go St. Pete to view the gulf from our room anyway. We spend very little time in the room when we travel.

All in all, we got exactly what we paid for and were satisfied. We spend very little time in our room, so for what we needed, it fit the bill. I would return if I found the same deal.

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side and I would try to avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellicott City, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Great location but WiFi coverage is very poor on some of the floors. I had to go out by the ice machine to get a signal. I was actually advised by the front desk to try connecting to a neighbouring hotel. They refused to move me to a room with a better signal. The manager on duty said that "all our guests are complaining about it". Well then, ;perhaps you should do something about it! Don't waste your precious vacation time chasing an internet connection!

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you need solid WiFi
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Great location directly on St. Pete Beach. I booked a room at this hotel as it was a last minute visit and all the hotels I would normally book were full. The walls were very thin. The noise from the parking area below the room made it difficult to sleep. On my second trip to my room the key card would not work. I hauled my cooler, laptop and a bag to the office to get this resolved. The front desk staff were friendly and apologetic as they fixed the problem. I went back to the room and the problem was still not fixed. I hauled everything back to the front desk and they sent maintenance to the room with me. Problem was fixed. Pool area was nice enough and there was a cute little beach bar at the hotel. If you want a restful nights sleep this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Lakeland, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed at this establishment for a weekend and had a great time, at least until the red bites surfaced all over my arms and upper back-even my neck. Thats right, this establishment has bed bugs. When I called the hotel to inform them of this they told me they would send housekeeping to check it out and I should call back to speak to the general manager. Well he is never there when I call. Do not stay at this hotel unless you want to come back covered in bed bugs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel is a great hotel for families. Yes it needs some updating but the staff is great, price is right and your right next to the beach in your back yard. They make you feel like family. We have been there 2 yrs in a row,Everyone is friendly. The resturant has gone down hill big time. Needs new chef and better menu but excellent resturant down one block named skidders. (Amazing Food) We will be returning for a third year next year.

Room Tip: Up stairs you get flat tvs on wall, down stairs you get older tvs(table top) quieter on sides. Nice...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We returned to St. Pete Beach looking for more of a value this time around and I think we got what we paid for. As someone said before, if you're looking for a 5 star resort this isn't it. The rooms are in need of attention and are best suited for those who just want a place to sleep. But I'd also note that working front desk at a 3-star hotel in my town has taught me that big corporations often overlook their smaller hotels..The staff is incredibly friendly and you can tell they're trying hard to work with what they've got.

The pool area was great and the location couldn't have been better. We walked everywhere and didn't use our car the whole stay. I'd say all in all (outside of the rooms needing updating which is usually out of the staff's control) it's a decent 3-star hotel with a few perks!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 15 (115, 215, etc.) if you absolutely need wifi. These rooms are a dead zone f...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - St. Pete Beach FL? Share your experiences!