“A beautiful oasis.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“A beautiful oasis.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our 4 night stay at the Don Cesar was simply wonderful. A wonderful getaway and since we are only a 4 hour drive away it was easy to justify the nightly rate.
Our only complaint was a bridal party gathering at the pool who were oblivious to others guests that were trying to relax. Not the hotel's fault, just clueless people that forget there are others around that do not want a dozen people standing in front of them while they 'catch up'.
One other thing...I left my toothbrush charger in bathroom and when I called the next day the room attendant did not turn it in. I would expect more than just throwing in trash.
Aside from these two minor annoyances, we think the Don Cesar is amazing and we look forward to coming back for another relaxing stay. PS. Jaffe the pool attendant is a gem.

• Stayed May 2014
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thanks for taking the short trip to come and enjoy some relaxing time with us. Sorry about the noise from the wedding party by the pool. Hopefully thier excitement after seeing one another "tapered down" and you we're able to continue to enjoy your Loews experience.

We always appreciate feedback, and thank you for sharing yours here on Tripadvisor.

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Spent a relaxing 3 days at the Don CeSar over Memorial Day weekend. With a full house the service was still excellent. All the staff were friendly and would go out of their way to make you feel at home. Room was small, but comfortable and decorated with great taste! Yes, prices are high, but service and quality were well worth the cost. What a great story with this Hotel, thank goodness it was saved and refurbished to it's beauty today!! We will be back!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thanks for your feedback!

As busy as the entire St. Pete Beach area was over Memorial Day weekend, I'm happy to hear that you found your stay here at The Don to be relaxing and that our staff made you feel right at home.

I appreciate you recognizing our efforts to maintain the charm and beauty of our historic treasure and glad to hear that you'll be back!

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We had a relaxing stay with great service. The poolside drinks, food (Don's Beach Burger), and service were extraordinary. The staff was very friendly. When my wife got sick, they went out of their way to help. The location on the beach is great for walks. We had a beach balcony room which provided fantastic views. The rooms are comfortable, but very small. My wife used the spa for a massage which she enjoyed immensely. We asked for a small refrigerator which helped for breakfast and the cold drinks we brought. Bring some dollar bills for tips. The staff provides outstanding service with a smile and you will want to reward them. The atmosphere around the pool was "normal" and relaxing. There were hardly any unruly kids or party goers. We used the valet parking which made coming and going to sites much easier and stress free. We stayed four days and could easily stayed longer had time been available.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm so happy to hear that your recent visit with us was nothing but relaxing, and that our staff was extraordinary, friendly and genuinely helpful! They are very passionate about the service they provide our guests, and I am glad that you recognized that.

I'm pleased your wife's visit to Spa Oceana was enjoyable and that your overall stay was "stress-free!" We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are full time FL residents living just an hour south of St Pete Beach. Now that the snowbirds are gone, thought we would enjoy the beautiful poolside restaurant at the Don Cesar for lunch. What a mistake!!! Although the food and service were good and the property fantastic, hold on to your wallet! Lunch with their 18% gratuity was $67.50 but what was truly UNACCEPTABLE was the parking fee, which no one at the hotel would validate. Parking at the Don Cesar for less than 90 minutes was $21.40, ridiculous especially in the off season when the lot was empty!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
I'm happy to hear that you took the time to visit our iconic Pink Palace, and enjoy lunch poolside. However, I am sorry to read about your frustrations.

We welcome locals and non-guests to come and experience Loews Don CeSar. It is such a treasure and we're happy when we have people come visit!

All of our restaurants, with the exception of the Beachcomber pool bar, are open to everyone. Due to our intimate size, we dedicate that restaurant exclusively to registered hotel guests.

The Sea Porch Restaurant (with great outdoor dining), Maritana Grille, Lobby Bar, Uncle Andy's Ice Cream, as well as our retail shops and Spa Oceana are all open to the public. Parking charges, if applicable, may vary. Feel free to contact us directly prior to your visit if you have any questions.

Thank you for your feedback.

RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I have been to many hotels in the Tampa-St. Petersburg area, but none stand out and provide the overall lavish experience of the Don. The two pools and the jacuzzi are located in a great spot. Sunsets there are the best, but be prepared for a quick "splash-down" once the Sun is setting. The shopping on the first floor is special. Walking on the shore is a tradition.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are a must
Green Features: Ernie at poolside and Tony are tremendous employees who will take care of your every need.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm so happy to hear that you found your recent visit with us so memorable! We appreciate reading your comments and are delighted we had the opportunity to welcome you as our guest.

Our sunsets are amazing, and I'm happy you had the chance to see one first hand! I hope we can see you back soon for another.....and more shopping too!

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We only stayed for one night of our week-long trip to Florida, but it was still an amazing stay! We got a room with a direct view of the gulf... Breathtaking!! The room itself was clean and comfortable. Everything about this place is picture prefect- the lobby, the grounds, the beach- all of it. We had dinner by the pool before the sunset. I got the bacon wrapped pretzel dog which was delicious but huge, probably a foot long. Hubby got a grouper sandwich (and half of my hot dog!) that he enjoyed. Later that night, we went to the lobby bar, which was very impressive. The lobby itself is gorgeous, but the drinks were phenomenal. Pricey but well worth it, trust me.

I spent some time in the spa, which was the only part of my stay that wasn't absolutely perfect. Victoria (mani and pedi) and Christine (massage) were both fantastic, but the front desk staff at the spa were not very helpful. They didn't make an effort to make the guests comfortable while they were waiting, and stood off in a corner whispering to each other. That didn't really affect my review because the services were still great, but I did want to put it out there that it was pretty uncomfortable.

Breakfast the next morning from the Sea Porch restaurant was delicious, as was the ice cream from Uncle Andy's. Every employee we passed in the halls or on the grounds smiled and greeted us. The bartenders at the lobby bar were friendly and we had a great time chatting with them.

All in all we loved our time at the Don and would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your amazing feedback! After reading your comments, I want to head to the Beachcomber and grab a bacon-wrapped pretzel dog!

I'm so glad to hear that you and your hubby enjoyed everything from your room, to our lobby bar, picture perfect beach, Sea Porch Restaurant, Uncle Andy's and our friendly staff!

I'm also happy you enjoyed your services at Spa Oceana. I do apologize about the uncomfortable feeling you experienced when you arrived, thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Next time you'll have to spend a few more days with us! There is so much more to experience!

Until then,

Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks in May 2014 and this was our 4th year of vacationing here. I absolutely love this hotel. Except one issue, it is perfect. I loved the look of the hotel outside (the pink palace), but I like the interior even more. I appreciate the comfortable bedding (including the down pillows and the nice sheets), the room decor and the fantastic lobby. The Maritana Grille restaurant is exceptional. We had dinner there several times during our two-weeks stay, but we ate the food from this restaurant every single night in the hotel lobby while listening to live-piano or live jazz play. I had every single item on their menu and there was nothing that was not superb. My favorites were the scallops, the venison and the pork belly. The staff of the hotel is also great, very friendly and trying their best to please the guests. My favorite guy at the pool was Justin, who excelled at everything he did. Lisa, the Asian concierge was also particularly friendly and helpful. The beach in front of the hotel is absolutely beautiful with fine white sand and warm blue water. I was terrified of the stingrays, but this did not prevent me from swimming in the ocean every single day, except the last day when the water was particularly rough. I saw many dolphins during our stay and a huge manatee in the water. The thing that really bothers me regarding this hotel is the fact that it does not include any beach chairs with the standard stay. This is simply wrong and bad marketing!!! On our first vacations at the Don, the beach chairs were included and most people on the beach were staying at the hotel. Now, I have not talked to one person on the beach that was staying at the hotel. Most of the ones staying on the beach chairs are outsiders/ day-trippers now. I do not like the changing population. This is the only beach hotel I have ever stayed at where the beach chairs are not included. I love beaches and have stayed in many places. I am not sure who made this decision to hire an outside company to run the beach chairs, but as I said above I think it is bad marketing and wrong. I hope they will go back to how they used to be. Basically everyone at the hotel now stays at the pool (where the chairs are free). We paid 3 days to stay on the beach, but it felt like wasted money since it only takes a few seconds to walk from the pool chairs to the ocean. I also loved the shops inside the hotel where I bought 2 beautiful rash guards, a necklace and bracelet and several toys for my 5 year old daughter. My daughter also attended the kids club 3 hours a day and she loved it (everyone there was so nice; thanks Beth, Jason, Coby & Lauren). Except the issue with the beach chairs not being included with the room, this is a perfect place for me. I hope to keep coming every year for many years to come. Spending the day at a wonderful beach and then dressing up to have an exceptional dinner in the evening while listening to live music and drinking good wine, what more can somebody want in a relaxing vacation? The spa is also amazing both the services and the products they sell. I had a wonderful massage and a excellent pedicure and totally recommend this place. I think their prices are high but well worth it. Finally, my other small complain is that I wish they had a breakfast and/or lunch option of the same caliber as Maritana Grille. I tried lunch 3 times at Sea Porch and it was quite bad, especially the mahi fish soaked in extremely sweet mango preserve (almost impossible to eat for me) and the spicy shrimp salad (very bad coating on the shrimp, yuck). I remember last year they had several nice options for lunch at Sea Porch, which this year have disappeared (2 examples that I remember were the kobe beef sliders and a beautiful shrimp appetizer with 3 jumbo shrimp). Sea Porch has such a beautiful atmosphere and it is a pity to not have a better menu. My daughter wanted some fried fish and there was none available, which is sad at a beach-side terrace. The pool menu for lunch was not terrible, but quite overpriced for mediocre but acceptable food. I liked the sweet potato fries, the salads and the fish tacos. Combining the world-class quality food at Maritana with sea views would be ideal and I hope that it could become a reality some day soon. We adored the two girls serving dinner in the lobby and we are going to miss the wonderful Maritana Grille food we ate there until next time we are at the Don. We just came back a day ago and I already feel nostalgic about The Don....until next time!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are better
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
LoewsDonCeSar_1928, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
WOW! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such genuine and detailed feedback from your 4th year of vacationing with us!

It was delightful to hear your remarks about how wonderful your experience in Maritana Grille was and to hear your comments about our servers in the Lobby bar.

I am disappointed to hear about your other dining experience and I hope that when you visit next time we'll have you raving as much about the Sea Porch as you have about Maritana Grille.

Your passion is so welcoming! Thanks for sharing it with us and we are looking forward to seeing you "next time!"

Loews Don CeSar Hotel

Been to Loews Don CeSar Hotel? Share your experiences!