My father and two children stayed here from 3/23-27.
1. We arrived and as my father parked the car ( 10 self park/ day or 25 valet) I proceeded to the front desk to begin checking in. I was de-greeted(greeted would seemingly imply it was nice) by a chunky impolite woman. She informed me I was "unable to begin without the party who booked them room" with not so much as a smile on her face. Here begins the theme of out stay- feeling as if we are inconveniencing the staff.
2. My father arrives to check in. There was a notation on our account that we preferred ocean view. We were told it was booked but they will notify us on checkout tomorrow if we can move to another room.
3. The rooms were very small. If you have more than 2 people book 2 rooms.
4. We decided to grab some food . We went to the bar and grill where we were told to go to the next restaurant to be seated. The sea? Something it was called. 20 min wait... I then went back to the bar and grill where I realized this is in fact a separate restaurant . We decided to stay there as it was bar type foods quick and easy w two hungry kids. A woman came over handed us menus took our drink orders. After delivering our drinks 25, YES, 25 min past. There were 2 people at the bar and only 2 tables of people... 25 min! I was irate! I got up and went to the bar and questioned why are we not being served..and yes inconvenienced they were. "Short staffed" we left our drinks and went to the room to order pizza. A 5 star resort and we had to order a pizza!
5. The weather was not very fl like. Rain .. But the kids loved the pool. I ordered a diet coke and was told they don't serve it via fountain, so it would be a moment. He handed me a fresh HOT can of diet soda. Took my room number and walked away. I literally stood dumbfounded. I called him back over and said "can I please get ice or is that extra" he handed me a 1/4 cup of ice no straw or apology.. Once again inconvenienced.
6. Midday day 2 my father calls to inquire about out ocean view room. Were told " we don't know yet" apparently they don't know what they book daily?? But they assured him they would call him ASAP to let him know. Guess what? Never got a call!
7. Evening day 2- the maid never cleaned our room. We stopped her down the hall and she didn't apologize but told us she can't do it for another hour. Inconvenienced again. She never showed back up. We had to call housekeeping the next morning and get mgmt to assure us our room would be cleaned.
8. Pool bar- it took over 10 min( the bartenders were talking to each other) to get service. When I ordered 2 virgin daiquiris for my kids I was informed "it's the same cost" inconvenienced again. Not even a smile on her face.
9. We talked to the "front end manager" who had no sympathy or regretful ness to him. Basically a "oh well" attitude.
10. On our commute home another manager called. We did get an apology, but no reparations as I would expect when you spend 350 a night at a hotel that boast it's "excellence in customer service".
Now, the good- the old historic charm of this hotel is nostalgic and dreamy. The pool accommodations and views of the beach are amazing. I did partake in a massage at the spa that was awesome. The ice cream shop is a wonderful touch
Cons- the included 18% gratuity leaves me to believe that the staff feels they don't have to earn their tips. Which would make sense as to their attitudes. The customer service is the poorest I have ever received from a resort. The rooms are small. If weather is inclement there is not much to do. I would not recommend unless they put some SERIOUS training on their staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known as Florida's "Pink Palace," the Loews Don CeSar Hotel, facing the white sands of the Gulf of Mexico, was built in 1928 to resemble a Mediterranean-style castle. Born in the Great Gatsby era as a playground for the rich and famous, the iconic "Pink Palace" has been revitalized and refreshed within, ensuring a future as rich and storied as its history. Enjoy newly redesigned 277 luxurious rooms including 36 suites, many with spectacular views of the pristine Gulf beaches or Boca Ciega Bay. Relax and indulge at Spa Oceana, featuring over 11,000 square feet of spa facilities, luxurious spa treatments, full service salon, and a stunning rooftop garden overlooking the azure waters of the Gulf of Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Loews Don CeSar Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Don Cesar Beach Hotel
- Don Cesar Beach Resort
- Don Cesar Hotel Florida
- Don Cesar Florida
- Hotel Don Cesar Beach
- Don Cesar Resort
- Loews Don CeSar Hotel Saint Pete Beach, Florida