“Simply magical!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Treasure Island, Florida, United States
“Simply magical!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I were married at the Don Cesar in November. Lauren Jones was amazing!!! She understood my dream and made my vision come alive. All staff members were professional and polite, going above and beyond to create an experience and a memory. Room service was fast and delicious! We loved the Sea Porch Café, and we really enjoyed how knowledgeable the servers were, always suggesting wine to accompany entrees and desserts to finish the meal. The hotel is gorgeous on its own, but the service is what makes something unforgettable. The Don Cesar has it all, and we will be back on each one of our wedding anniversaries to celebrate and create new, beautiful memories at the best beach location on the Gulf of Mexico.

Room Tip: Pay for a suite with a gulf view -- it's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DanielWalsh, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear KacyVIctoria,

Thank you for your review!

Thank you for sharing such a special occasion with us and I'm delighted we were able to make it unforgettable. If there is anything we do exceptionally well it is weddings, and Lauren is one of the best! In addition to Lauren, it is clear the rest of the team exceeded your expectations and I agree they are what separates us from the rest!

Thank you again for your wonderful review, and we will look forward to all those anniversaries!

Daniel Walsh, VIP Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Pequannock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

So Memorial Day weekend was fast approaching and my daughter who lives in Mississippi was going to be home for a few days and was looking forward to going to the beach. That was not happening in New Jersey. Forecast 40 and raining. So I booked us a room at the Don. This place is like my home away from home. Daniel Walsh, the best person ever at a hotel, made arrangements for us and they were SUPERB. He even managed to arrange perfect beach weather. 90 degrees and bright sunshine, just what we ordered. We spent the days on the beach and the nights staying very local. I also decided to bring my 16 year old niece. All had a great time. We took in a Yankee game at Trop field, which is only about 15 minutes away.

I know you might think this hotel is expensive but trust me, it is worth every penny. Some of the rooms are small, but who spends time in a room with the beautiful pools and beach beckoning to you. The Oceana Spa is also a beautiful place to spend serious "You" time.

The food and drinks at the pool and beach were delicous and promptly served.

Before I left I already booked my next trip. I really hate saying how good this hotel is because I don't want too many people going there and I won't be able to get a room. But seriously this place is the best in St. Pete's Beach. Enjoy.

Room Tip: There are only about 8 rooms with balconies overlooking the Gulf. Book very early if that is high on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DanielWalsh, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear JCoyne127,

You are one of the true great, loyal guests who have become like family here at the Don! We always look forward to your visits, and will always bend over backwards to make sure your stays are absolutely perfect in every way.

As you know, I am always available if you need anything. Please don't hold back on me in any way, and I look forward to your next visit!

Red Bank, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My finance and I booked 5 nights, June 27th-July 1st. Hotel was recommended by a friend who lives in the area.
Pros: Every staff member we met was friendly and professional. The hotel itself is beautiful, very clean. Our room was cleaned and restocked each day. Towels fluffy and plush. Bed very comfortable, nice linens. Lots of lounge chairs around the pool area. Two pools, not terribly large, but adequate. Decent outdoor towels provided. Iced water with fruit available in pool area. We had dinner one night at the fine dining Maritana Restaurant, which was fantastic. Other, less formal restaurants and poolside fare were tasty and what you would expect at a hotel like this. I had a facial at the spa one afternoon which I really enjoyed.
Cons: The room was unbearably small. We had a king room, 4th floor, partial gulf view. Two people can not function comfortably in these rooms. Bathroom was tiny, shower/tub slippery and dangerous (even with the rubber mat they provide) and didn't drain properly. No balcony, in fact, very few rooms have any balcony. It's just the way the hotel was built. We tried to change to a suite but the hotel was sold out of all rooms due to weddings going on over the weekend. The beach chair rental situation: $8 for a sand chair, $12 for a lounge chair, $15 per umbrella per day, and the prices go up from there. I have never been to a hotel that bills itself as luxury but makes you buy a chair to sit on the beach (but pool lounges are free). Cabanas and premium beach services I can see charging for, but a chair? There were way less guests on the beach then there should have been, but the pool was packed. I can only assume no one wanted to pay these stupid fees.
The bottom line:
We checked out 2 nights early because the weather turned terrible. If you can't enjoy the outside there's no point in staying here. A sold out hotel during a 2 day downpour just would have been too claustrophobic. Otherwise, if you can handle the cramped rooms, I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: If you want any kind of space book a suite.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bonefish25,

Thank you for reviewing your recent trip to the Don CeSar!

I'm so glad you had a great time at our restaurants, pools, and with the team members you encountered. It sounds as though they really made an impact on your stay!

I do wish we had some of our suites available during your stay so you could have enjoyed a more spacious accommodation. We have some beautiful layouts and our guests really enjoy them. Hopefully on your next visit we can assist in booking one of them for you. Hopefully sooner than later!

Thank you again for your review, please let us know if we can be of any assistance!

florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had planned a trip to the Safety Harbor Spa (which we'd been to happily many years ago), but changed our plans at the last minute because of the many negative comments on TripAdvisor about that facility. Couldn't have been much worse than "The Don". Tiny, claustrophobic rooms. Do not book a "grand" room, because the view of the gulf is obscured by the wings of the hotel which block all but a direct, limited view. And boy, are those rooms small. How small are the bathrooms? You hit your head on the sink when you sit down on the toilet. We changed rooms and made the best of the situation. I recommend room 474. It is a wee bit larger, is on the end nearest the beach and has windows on 2 sides for better light and a better view. Everything is a la carte. Your $25 daily resort fee just gets you entrance to the fitness center. The staff failed to refill the in room coffee or the "2 bottles of water/day" that are supposed to be included in the resort fee. The restaurant food was mediocre, overpriced and was accompanied by bad service. We were told by a waitress that the hotel won't hire full time wait staff and that they are chronically understaffed. And if you decide to leave early because you've had enough, they tack on a 1 day room charge for an "early departure fee." Sure it is directly on the beach and has programs for children, but there must be many places that provide greater value. Stay away.

Room Tip: 474 is best value "luxury" room. Must be as high as possible for any kind of view because...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear planningpro,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent visit to the Don CeSar. It is clear from your review there were a number of inconsistencies in service during your stay. I assure you this is not typical of our property and certainly not the level of service we expect from our team members. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and we will certainly address them with our teams.

As for the rooms, due to our historic nature we do have some smaller rooms than what you will find on average at newer properties. I do agree 474 is a great room, offering beautiful views of the gulf and overlooking our wedding courtyard, pool, and spa. In addition to 474 we have a number of great rooms that not only provide great views, but also have some added space due to the intricate layout of the hotel. If you are planning a trip back to the area, I would love to assist in booking one of these great rooms with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist.

Thank you again for your review, we hope to have you visit us again soon!

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Beautiful historic building with loads of history. Rumored to have some haunted rooms too. Definitely check fir Florida resident or AAA discount. Nice place for a few day get away with some R&R.
The bars at hotel close up too early.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Scott S,

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time during your recent trip to the Don CeSar. It sounds as though you really appreciated the beautiful architecture, history, and were able to truly unwind.

I have also heard the rumors about some haunted rooms. Lucky for me I have not had the opportunity to experience anything, however, I'm sure if you contacted or stopped by the Concierge desk they would be able to find some stories to entertain you! At the very least you can find out the wonderful love story surrounding the Don CeSar!

We hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Nassau, New Providence Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel and the staff servicing it were beyond my expectations. The decor was clean and contemporary but with the grace and beauty of old-world. The beach setting was perfect and the staff were exceptional, each and every one. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on in a hotel and I have experienced more hotels than I care to remember. The spa was the only facility that I was able to use during my very short visit but it was wonderful too. The manicurist was running half an hour late and so they charged half the cost as this is what good business folks do. Staff should be empowered to make those decisions when it is really going to make a difference. And it did! I would recommend this hotel to everyone for pleasure, business, a romantic getaway, whatever!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool/beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Katherine K,

What a wonderful review!

Thank you so much for sharing your great experiences at our Spa, room accommodations, and (most importantly) our team members! It is clear you had a wonderful time, hopefully you will come back and visit us again very soon!

Thank you again for taking the time to post your experiences on Trip Advisor!

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have been to the Don many times, and enjoy our stay everytime. Great location, beautiful beach and amenities! The staff is very professional and knowledgeable about the Hotel. The amenities are fabulous, rooms are very nice, first class hotel. The history of the hotel gives it even more character. Ocean view can't be beat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sean7Celine,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest to the Don CeSar! I'm glad to hear about our guests who come back year after year and continue to enjoy the great amenities and service we consistently provide.

Thank you for being such great guests and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisorl. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to continue making your stays more special!

Daniel Walsh, VIP Manager

Been to Loews Don CeSar Hotel? Share your experiences!