“Amazing sunset location.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 32 hotels in Saint Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Amazing sunset location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Can't miss with the location of this property right on the beach. A full scale resort in a laid back location. Walking through the building you realize how grand of a property this was when first built. Amazing sunsets. Heated pools. Fair priced cocktails. Top notch restaurant. The place to pamper yourself. Only negative is Valet parking overpriced and the resort fee charged.

• Stayed February 2013
DanielWalsh, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Agrouzis,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words!

It sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us, hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Let us know the next time you want to be "pampered!"

Thanks!

1,412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Wilmington, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

After many years of eagerly anticipating my visits several times a year to what I joking called my home away from home, my love of you is over. Time to move on. I loved you for what you were NOT...just another chain hotel. The people that write that it is not what it used to be are correct. It's a beautiful hotel on a beautiful beach, but last year after the Don Cesar, a Loew's Hotel, changed to the actual Loew's brand changes have been made that are very noticeable to the loyal guests that have frequented for years. They are targeting more of a corporate and group booking market, and it is definitely not the warm, personal, welcoming resort of the past. I understand that they have to focus on the bottom line, and that makes for change that all may not like. It is unique and in this location, the more hip Loew's public areas that are in all of the Loew's hotels, don't seem to fit. Yes, the old staff members are still very pleasant, but very guarded and for good reason. Housekeeping is hit and miss, in our past three stays, we've had two without either daily housekeeping and/or turndown service, even though it was requested. Our past stay was fine regarding this. The pool area is beyond crowded. Yes it can be a very busy hotel, but it becomes jammed when the locals get day passes and the swim club members and their families are there too. Swim Club members pay a high price to belong and they have the right to use it, but day pass people take the chairs that guests need. We had a group of them unmake our lounge chairs that we had tipped to be made up and throw our personal belongings on the ground while we were spending money getting spa treatments for an hour. We have belonged to Members First for quite some time, and I would think that as easy as it is to contact us regarding the new beach chair and umbrella policies and charges we would have been informed of it when it was put in place, but we were not. Quite a surprise when we walked down to the beach. All resort amenities are basically ala carte now.
If you have not been to the Don before, then you may not miss what you never had. What bothers me too is what canned, rather patronizing answers Daniel seems to write back. I realize that the new management can't know how past patrons were connected to this resort, they were hired to do the job, and they certainly are. We had booked for this week even before our last stay, but canceled after returning home. There are other choices, and you vote with your wallet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cw365,

Thank you for your review and for your honest feedback. It is always great to hear from our loyal guests, especially the ones who have stayed with us for many years and have watched the Don grow and transform into what it is today. I would love the opportunity to talk with you about this last stay and hopefully get you to come back to visit us. This stay was not what you were expecting and based on your review it's not the experience you should have received either. I want to make your stay personal and create the home away from home you once had with us. There are other options out there for you to stay, but I'm not confident many of them are willing to invest the kind of time into really making everything perfect for you that I am. If you are planning another trip to St. Pete Beach, it would be a pleasure to just have a few moments to discuss this past trip and discuss some of our changes that I feel will enhance your future visits.

I am very happy to discuss past and future visits with you at your convenience. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me, and thank you for your feedback.

Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

After a terrible experience at a different hotel on the beach, we moved over to "The Don". It is fabulous! We could certainly switch up our spring break plans, but when you have found the perfect spot, why bother? The satff is one of the main reasons that we love it here so much. Many of them have been there for years and welcome my children (by name!!) back each year. We feel like V.I.P.'s. when we stay at The Don. The hotel itself is beautiful and the beach can't be beat. The lobby bar is beautiful yet comfortable. The restaurants offer a nice variety and the location is convenient to try many of the local places. The ONLY complaint is that the pool chairs used to have little flags that you would put up when you needed something, It was magical to be waited on with this fun idea. They took the flags away last year and we missed them. But looking so forward to our visit again this month and escape the snow of Chicago!! Fantastic family resort, but would also definitely recommend for a couples trip.

Room Tip: To save a little money, we book a "bay view" instead of an ocean view. We were always on t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DanielWalsh, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear eileen g,

It's great to hear that, even though the flags are gone at the pool, we are still your top choice when visiting St. Pete Beach! Although the team knows you and takes care of you each year, don't hold back on us. We want to make sure that each stay is better than the last, so please inform us if we can do anything to make your stays more enjoyable for you and your family!

Thank you for being such a wonderful, loyal guest to us, and thank you for sharing your experiences on Trip Advisor. We will look forward to your next visit!

Ottsville, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Thought the staff were exceptionally attentive and polite. Did not experience one single instance of rudeness or "it's not my job" syndrome. The hotel is tastefully decorated with a warm and inviting lobby and bar....which we spent many an hour at due to the lousy weather. The shopping was really fun. Each store had something different to offer and not terribly overpriced (as hotel shops go). Location, location, location....on the beach which is gorgeous. The pools were heated and well maintained. All areas were impeccably attended to. The wait time for food or drink was short. I had a fantastic massage at the spa, which I highly recommend. Honestly, I could not find a negative thing to say about this hotel or their staff. I would recommend and return.

Room Tip: Rooms are not large but they are well furnished and clean. Ask for a balcony when you book because...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jacqcris,

Thank you for your review!

I too wish we had better weather to offer you during your previous stay. However, I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy all of the wonderful indoor activities we have to offer. From having a cocktail in the Lobby Bar to browsing our selection of retail stores to your massage in the world class Spa Oceana it sounds as though you made great use of your time while here. Even with great weather, the activities you chose would have made a great vacation!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. If you need any assistance please let me know. We hope to see you again soon!

Norwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is the best hotel I've ever stayed at. But it's more like a resort than a hotel. We were very impressed with the large, friendly and attentive staff. The facility itself is impeccable, the food was excellent and the staff knowledgeable and helpful. I can't say enough about Loews and the Don Cesar. I give this my highest recommendation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear sdcamassar,

Wow! Thank you so much for all the kind words!

I'm delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay and we were able to exceed your expectations every step of the way. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance the next time you are planning a trip to St. Pete Beach!

Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you again soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Spent a few days over the weekend at The Don, as they call it! The building is amazing to look at as you take a stroll down the beach. Pretty cool that this place was built in the 1920's. Accommodations were nice and the room was clean. Especially liked the Keurig coffee brewer in our room. That is a first to see a Keurig in my room. The beachfront location was tops. Basically to get to the beach, you walk through the pool/bar area and what awaits you is a nice white sandy beach. The grounds of the hotel are also finely manicured...well done! We enjoyed hanging out at the lobby bar listening to local live music entertainment over a glass of wine. This made for a nice way to close out the day.

One drawback we found was that it costs you to sit in the beach chairs or beach bed. Once you are nice and relaxed (after 10 -15 minutes), they approach you to tell you that it will cost $$ to rent for the day. Another drawback is the $22 per night resort fee, which the hotel claims includes wi-fi and the swimming pool...really? Who charges for that stuff these days?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielWalsh, Manager at Loews Don CeSar Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear M B,

Thank you for your review!

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here in St. Pete Beach! Aside from the outdoor features such as the beach, pool, and surrounding areas, I'm glad you also found time to unwind in our Lobby Bar to enjoy the nightly local entertainment. They do a great job and our guests really enjoy our line-up.

Thank you again for taking the time to post about your recent experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been visiting the Don every year for about the last 5 years. It is a beautiful hotel and one of my favorites in all of Florida! With that being said the service seems to be going a bit downhill.
We parked a renal car in the parking lot and every time we tried to get in or out of the parking lot the room key wouldn't work. When we went to front desk each time to get another key they seemed very annoyed! We were also being charged to park!
It was very cold this year during our stay and we used the indoor hot tub and sauna. The attendant kept informing us that it closed by a certain time almost pushing us to leave. The hotel was full and it was way too cold and windy to be outside so I would think the Bath House Spa would have extended hours in this case... especially since we stay there for the amenities.
Coffee maker did not work in our suite and we were charged for coffee delivery.
Ran out of snacks in bar during a very busy weekend. Short on wait staff!
I am becoming disappointed with this historic landmark and will be staying elsewhere during my next visit.
What a shame to see this place go downhill!

Room Tip: Rooms are small .... we always get a suite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear invettura,

It is great to hear that we have become your number one choice when visiting St. Pete Beach! Thank you for continuing to let us accommodate you for five years running! However, it is disappointing to hear this stay did not live up to previous years visits. Our goal is to ensure our guests have the absolute best experience when they visit St. Pete Beach and I want to assure you the experience you had is not our normal practice and will be addressed.

It is my goal to make sure we remain your top choice when on vacation. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail and ensure the next visit is just as enjoyable as the first four. Please feel free to contact me directly moving forward and I would be happy to personally look after your future visits.

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience, I hope to speak with you very soon!

- Daniel Walsh, VIP Manager

It is great to hear that

Been to Loews Don CeSar Hotel? Share your experiences!