“Never again” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4900 Gulf Blvd., Saint Pete Beach, FL 33706   |
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

Arrived late evening to be "greeted" by stoney faced Reception who gave no sign of a welcome.

Room not too bad but smell of "must". The bar was empty and the barman didn't look too pleased to see us - spoilt his viewing of the sport programme. To be fair he softened up towards the end of our stay and became quite sociable.

Never more than 3 or 4 in restaurant each evening. We decided to go to the Seafood and Steak House across the road - excellent food and value.

We stayed at Dolphin Beach Resort some years ago and went back in the hope of an enjoyable stay. But next time we will venture further along the beach.

Shame really as it is in such an ideal position right on the beach front.

Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2005

First, the positives. The beach, and the beachfront bar at the hotel, were nice. Great location on St. Pete Beach.

Now, the problems, of which there were many. Upon arrival, we asked for the nicest room they had available. The first room they tried to give us had the most terrible smell...like a combination of mold and over-used cleaning products. We asked to change and they gave us a first floor room facing the pool. Smell was a bit better, but still bad, and the windows did not open. We changed again, and finally we got a room that had a small balcony that did not smell too bad. However, the bathtub was filthy, the carpet was stained, the mattress was like sleeping on plywood, and the door was broken. To make matters worse, housekeeping knocked on our door and woke us up at 9am, and they never came back after we left for the day. I called at 4:30pm to have the room cleaned, and housekeeping was gone for the day. I asked for some clean towels, and the maintenance guy brought us 4 hand towels. Gee, thanks. We checked out a day early and stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Tampa for the same price. No comparison.

In summary, if you are staying in St. Pete Beach, pay the extra $$ for one of the nicer resorts (like the Tradewinds or Don Cesar)...it's worth it.

• Stayed November 2005
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

I stayed at the Dolphin Beach Hotel in Nov 2005 because I was invited to a wedding held at the hotel so I got a room at the same location. I had read all the reviews on this website and was very hesitant to stay at this hotel, but knew it would be alot more convenient to stay here than at others on the beach.

This hotel is just as filthy, and run down as stated in previous reviews. I checked in and was given room 317, on the top floor. I took the elevator up (the elevator barely worked) and when i got off the elevator I was overwhelmed by a smell of dirty socks and maple syrup. The hallway was just filthy and run down and musty. When I got to my room, I have to say it was even worse. I guess the smell in the room was terrible must and mold but it was worse than I've ever smelled before at a beach hotel. In addition, the linens had women's hair in them, the blankets had holes in them, the sheets were stained and there was just dirt all over the walls and doors of the room. There was no alarm clock, a microwave that looked like a bowl of chili exploded in it and a moldy bathtub.

I was barely in the room at all and had my suitcase with me over half the time but when i returned home, I had to keep my suitcase outside to let it air out for 2 days before I could even bring it, or it's contents inside. Another couple that was at the wedding with us, had to go to 3 rooms before they found one they could tolerate, and then left the hotel a night early. It was just filthy and I cannot believe they are able to stay open for business.

If you are planning a trip to St. Pete Beach (which overall I wouldn't recommend in the first place) I would NOT stay at the Dolphin Inn. The Don Cesar Hotel and the Tradewinds looked clean and well maintained, but you would be better off just driving south to Sarasota or north to Clearwater. The entire beach strip in St. Petersburgh, is just old, run down, and completely unattractive. Your vacation would be ruined if you stayed at the Dolphin Beach Hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
England - UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

My husband and I have just spent a week at this hotel and had a very pleasant week. After reading some reviews I was nervous on our arrival but what a great room we had, Room 352, it overlooked the pool and gulf with our own balcony. The room itself was very spacious and looked as it had been recently renovated, the pool and surrounding areas were
cleaned every morning and also the maid service cleaning of room was excellent. The bar beside the pool was very good, serving very good lunches. All the staff were very polite and helpful, particulary the reception staff, Ken at the front desk was very helpful he even lent us his cell phone when we had difficulties ringing home to England. Unfortuanately our stay ended abruptly due to a minor fire and power loss, but the staff were very good in arranging alternative accomodation nearby. I would recommend the rooms with balconies as we spoke to another couple who's room over looked the car park, did not have a balcony and sounded a bit grim.

• Stayed October 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

When I arrived I asked for the Room rates which seemed to be reasonable for the rating and the hotels general appearance.

My stay was for 2 nights and as soon as I arrived in my room(171)I was hit by a damp musty smell that couldnt be placed and a sound of country music eminating through the extract grille in the bathroom (which i was later to discover came from the maintainance room next door).

The room itself was clean enough, although the beds seemed very worn and old. Now through the night(between 1am and 2am) I was awoken by a strange sound that would start and stop quite randomly, it took me a while to place what it was and were it was coming from but it turned out to be a chopsaw from the maintainance room next door. Now what needs maintained at 1am on a friday night!! When I phoned the desk to complain they knew nothing about the noise or what it might be so they asked my room number and would send someone to investigate, which involved them getting onto the radio to the maintainamce guys and saying that i had complained and to keep it down(which i heard through the extract grille in the bathroom) which they did until 2am when they decided they needed to chop something else.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for 99$ a night at the weekend. I would stay at one of the motels around the corner

• Stayed September 2005
Bolton, Lancashire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2005

Our family, 4 adults aged 16-49, made our third visit to the Dolphin Beach for a week's stay after a tiring week in Orlando. We love the hotel and facilities. Both rooms had pool/beach views and balconies. The rooms were spotless and the housekeeping excellent. Everyday the pool, pool area, sun loungers were cleaned. The poolside bar had superb service and we enjoyed the company there in the evenings. On previous visits our rooms were overlooking the car park, but these too were in immaculate condition. Can only think your other reviewers must have gone to the wrong hotel!!

• Stayed September 2005
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

We stayed at the Dolphin for 7 nights.

The reception, pool area, bar & restaurant were nice (although we didn't eat in the restaurant). The pool area stepped onto the beach which was lovely, not crowded and great for watching sunsets!

We just had a standard room. It was clean and well equipped and had everything stated ie. microwave, iron etc. The rooms were cleaned daily (by mid afternoon). It was a generous sized room.

It was in an excellent location for restaurants, trolley stops and there is a shopping centre across the road.

The only negative was the corridors smelled really damp and the corridor carpets needed renewed and decorated.

The staff were helpful although we didn't have any reason to complain about anything.

Don't think we'd stay here again as there were nicer properties around for the same star rating and reasonable prices but we enjoyed St Pete's as a whole and would definitely return to the area in the future.

Nicola, UK

Been to Dolphin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!