“Crawley Reds” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Crawley, West Sussex
“Crawley Reds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We loved this hotel. Staff really friendly and always very helpful. Lovely pool, right on the beach and handy for supermarket & other shopping. Restaurants close by. It provided all that we needed and expected for a 3 star and we'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony overlooking the pool or beach
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Tampa, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Overall the hotel is decent enough. Just stayed one night but the room was adequate, not perfect but it was clean. The bathroom could do with updating and things repaired correctly rather than just painted over. The pool area was very nice with a tiki bar and adjacent restaurant (didn't use). It's right on the beach so that was very handy and surrounded by many bars and other restaurants.

HOWEVER, if I had been a drop in enquiry I would have ran away - Larry on the front desk was just not pleasant - certainly not who I would choose to be greeting guests. The other front desk staff weren't much better. Staff overall were not too professional looking either at front desk or in the bar/restaurant area.

I would consider it again if there was nothing else available but won't be choosing to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Myers Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Had lunch outside at the Dolphin Beach Resort on St. Pete Beach Fl. Great atmosphere with the beach behind us and the pool beside us sitting under a tikki hut. It was a glorious sunny (hot) day and we didn't have a care in the world. That's how good this place made us feel. I highly recommend it if you want to impress your visitors to Florida Beaches.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I was there to pay condolences to an old family friend. We chose The Dolphin because her daughter was married there 3 years ago. My friend made the reservations before she passed away. Sadly, only her ashes made the trip.

When I made my reservation I told them I would be arriving with a service dog. I made sure they knew this ahead of my arrival. When we checked in there was no mention of a designated dog walking area. The Dolphin is right on Gulf Blvd; a main thoroughfare and the only grass we saw was by the pool so that's where I walked my dog. I ALWAYS clean up after my dog.

The first night we were there, after the front desk shift change, I was walking back to my room with my dog when my dog started to alert. There was a male staff member chasing me down the hall yelling at me, saying the resort had a no pet policy. My dog had her vest on and was clearly marked as a service dog. I responded to him by telling him she was a service dog. Then he wanted to know if I had informed the front desk at check-in and he wanted to know my room number.

I was trying to get away from him as quickly as possible. Just because he was dressed in a staff shirt didn't necessarily make him one. I'm a disabled Veteran with PTSD and I don't trust strangers, especially men. That's one of the reasons I have a service dog.

The next morning while I was walking the dog in the grass by the pool, the front desk called my room and told my wife that they had received complaints from other guests and told her I could no longer walk my dog by the pool. She asked where we were supposed to walk her and they directed us to another area on the opposite side of the Resort.

I posted what happened on Facebook and our friends quickly got involved. They reported the incident to the area Representative, the St Pete Pride Committee, the St Pete Chamber of Commerce but I stopped them from calling local media. Even my service dog school got involved. The Resort said they would post signs for a designated dog walk area but that never happened and we were there for five days. They also did not call me to tell me where the designated area was. I had to find it on my own. An apology would have been nice for the way the night staff treated me but I didn't get that either.

The room cost us almost $100 each night. We all could've gotten much nicer rooms elsewhere for that price but we were locked in because that's where Julie wanted her ashes scattered.

You can bet we won't stay there again. It's just not worth the money or the way I was treated and humiliated.

• Stayed June 2012
Imperial, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Yes, this hotel is only a few yards from the beach, fantastic. But, the pool closes at dusk. Every hotel I've ever stayed at the pool is open until at LEAST 10. The pool was also pretty crowded because it's so small. The decor was tacky and distasteful, and our room smelled damp. The cleaning people didn't even show up til 4 pm. We were told we would have a beach front room, and out our window we see parking lot. The bets are HARD and the linens are so scratchy. I just don't have many good things to say about this hotel. Wish I would of read the reviews before booking.

Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were looking for a cheap place to spend 24 hours on the beach. This was the perfect place! The rooms are outdated, but who cares? You are just sleeping there. The lobby and halls also have terrible decor, but........did you see those beach pictures!!?? That is what we went there for. The beach and the pool and both are exceptional at this hotel. The beach is beautiful and the pool was clean and very warm. I love that the chairs are secured, as not to have people dragging them to the beach. We did eat lunch at the Tiki Bar and the food was delicious and affordable. If I were staying for a week, I may not stay in this hotel because I do prefer luxury, but for a quick stop in St. Pete to enjoy the ocean, this was a perfect match!

Hudson, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I don't want to be a totally negative person so I will start this review by saying the pool, courtyard and outside bars are lovely and you can catch beautiful sunsets here. Now the gross part, we stayed here on 06/17/12, and thankfully only the one night becuase the rooms are filthy! The carpets and furniture are stained, the bathroom was so dirty and gross, there was someone elses hair on the soap holder in the shower and be sure to check out the picture for the lovely thing growing on the outside of the tub! When you turned on the water in the shower, more water continued to run out of the faucet than the shower head.

My in-laws were in the adjoining room to ours and they ended up getting a new room because theirs smelled like a dirty diaper, even after asking 2 times for someone to get up there and try to fix the smell. We are going to make a family tradition of spending the father's day weekend on St. Pete Beach but it certainly won't be at this place! YUCK!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dolphin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!