“Another Alden Beach Resort trip” 4 of 5 stars

Alden Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5900 Gulf Blvd, St. Pete Beach, FL 33706   |
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Montreal
“Another Alden Beach Resort trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

For the 3rd year in a row my wife and I and another couple stayed at the Alden Beach resort for our anual Tampa Bay Ray's trip.
We drove up from Port Charlotte and arrived before check in. We were planning on going to the beach anyway so I went to tell the desk clerk that we had arrived and would be on the beach. He checked us in and gave me a key to get us into the parking lot. He also called housekeeping to let them know we were on the property. He told me that he would call when the room was ready. A few minutes later while the girls were changing for the beach the front desk called to tell us that our room was ready. Great service!
Delux Gulf front suite was as nice as usual. Very clean and had everything we needed.
Lynda at the beach bar was great and Pittsburg Pete the beach chair guy was a laugh.
All of the employees of the Alden are very nice.
Looking forward to our next visit to the Alden in September. Love the Alden.

Room Tip: Delux Gulf front is the best.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Very Nice!

Thanks so much from another die hard Rays fan like me...

The Alden is a great way to spend a baseball weekend!

President & part owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed at the Alden Suites last week. We had initially booked a room poolside; however, upon arrival, we learned that those rooms had not been renovated and we decided to upgrade to the Gulfside suites. The room was small but pleasant with an efficiency kitchenette. King bed was comfortable and bathroom was clean and decent sized. Not a luxury suite, but for our needs, it was fine. The beach was wonderful, clean and the water clear! That was the most important thing. We would return again, but the Gulf-facing suites are the way to go.

Room Tip: Gulf facing only...worth the upgrade If not, the older apartments are depressing...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Appreciate the nice comments....However, just as a matter of fact, the Courtyard suites were fully renovated in 2010 and the poolside suites were fully renovated in 2007, with a soft renovation in 2011, but will be further renovated this fall, starting immediately after Labor Day...all new kitchens and bathrooms. Please see #618 as our sample renovation of the poolside suites

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

My family of 4 adults stayed here recently for 4 days. I would say it is a bit small for 4 adults with one bathroom. One room has the bedroom connected by the kitchenette to the living area and then the balcony. Stay oceanfront because the view is awesome. I don;t see how the beach view rooms had much of a view at all and they were directly above the pools. We really enjoyed the balcony. The grounds are lovely with 2 pools and a hot tub. We enjoyed the corn toss game and the ping pong. There are many tables and chairs on the green lawn before you reach the sand. There is a tiki bar but it didn't seem to be noisy and our room was very close to it. There are chairs and umbrellas set up on the beach available for rent. One nice thing was that most of the parking was in the shade under the tennis court.

Room Tip: Choose an oceanfront room not the oceanview rooms. The higher floors would have the best ocean view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
The Gulf Front suites really do have the best view of all with full size balconies on all but six suites (so 56 total directly on thy beach)

Thanks for the nice review,

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I stayed at Alden for a business trip for three consecutive weekdays. I knew before I arrived that I would have to tolerate the grimy-ness of beach front "resorts" but even with that expectation I found this place to be pretty filthy.

The rooms seem to be converted 1970's motel-style suites with outdoor entry access. My room was filled with plastic-covered furniture that looked too dingy for me to sit on. The kitchen was housed with old beige colored electric appliances and a fridge that pulled 2-feet away from the wall every time I tried to open it. The beds in my room were a total joke. I sank (literally) 15 inches into my mattress which could no longer qualify as a mattress. Due to the climate of Florida, I had to leave the noisy and dusty window AC unit running at all times to avoid turning my room into a steam sauna. But I was congested the entire time due to the window AC unit.

The entire hotel was noisy. There are tennis courts with massive ballpark lights glaring right into the rooms facing the courts. Kids and their parents would run around out there screaming and hollering until 1:00AM every night/morning.

The parking was ample, but awkward to get in and out. I didn't bother using the elevators after my first voyage because they stunk of urine so badly. Instead, I used the stairs along the side of the hall which were also littered with urine, trash and piles of construction debris. I kept expecting a possum or raccoon to jump out at me every time I walked by. Ugghh...

The WiFi was sufficient, however, every single outlet in my room was so loose that my plugs were all falling out of the wall. I was unwilling to risk my valuable electronics on shotty wiring so I tried to charge everything in my car whenever possible.

Given a choice, I would not stay here again. I would try to book an indoor room at Tradewinds (two hotels down) which are basically the same price.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Wow, sorry to read this review...

This guest had preconceived notions that beachfront resort hotels are a "grimy mess" so let's just start with that comment. It sounds like an unhappy guest before she even checked in.

Typically, beachfront resort hotels in the summer are packed with families, many with their kids on summer vacation, so it seems odd to me to plan a business trip to a beachfront "tourist" hotel in the middle of summer, but to each his own I guess.

This guest was in one of our "entry level" Courtyard Junior Suites, which were totally, and I mean TOTALLY renovated, back to the walls in 2010, so if 2010 furniture, fixtures, and equipment is "dated" than so be it.

The suites are cleaned thoroughly every day and inspected twice before a check in, so if this suite appeared dirty to this guest, I am sorry.

These suites are the lowest priced units in the 143 unit hotel and they are the only 18 units that have the "through the wall" AC units, and if this one was bit loud, the guest should have called to have maintenance check it out, but she did not report it, so how can we fix stuff when we don't know about until after check out?

Our furniture is NOT COVERED IN PLASTIC, as this guest claims.

If I am sounding defensive, I have a reason to be, since we rarely see this type of exaggerated Trip Advisor review...

The beds in this building are four years old and and in excellent condition, so the bedding comment is beyond my explanation, but if it was too soft for this guest, she could have requested a plywood sheet for someone who apparently likes a very firm bed, but again, no request to switch to another suite or ask for bedding accessories while she was here.

The elevators are inspected and cleaned twice daily, but if there was a foul odor, it was most lilkley taken care of within minutes, or hours at most. Again, we did not hear a word from this guest about the elevator or stairwell odors, nor were there any other complaints from other guests during the same time frame, so I am at a loss once more!

Please take this type of harsh review with a grain of salt...some guests are extremely hard to satisfy, and this is a prefect case in point.

Thanks for allowing me to vent over exaggerated claims,

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Initially wrote this review under "Alden Beach Resort" then realized there's 2 listings for Alden, so thought I'd add to this one as well...
We have been going to the Alden since the mid-80's and have always had a wonderful experience! All the staff are accommodating, rooms clean, pools and other activities great.
Maintenance never an issue. Always ample staff monitoring guest activity. Very safe environment for families and seniors.
We LOVE it and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on the beach!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Bravo!

Thanks for your continued loyalty to Alden Suites, love to hear it!

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We LOVE it and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on the beach!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Giddy up!

Love our visitors from north of the border!

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Loved my 3 day week-end
Would have been perfect if they had more parking! Room sleeps 6 and friends came to visit but you have to search out off site parking. I loved the beach...clean....friendly....nobody helpful with additional off site parking.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Sounds like all went well, except for the parking issue...

We meet or exceed all local City codes for parking requirements (1.1 space per available suite). The parking only seems to be an issue when a guest invites several visitors and they expect that all should be able to park (for free) and bring in as many cars as they want. How would you like it if you came back from dinner off property, and you are a paying guest, only to find out that there was no parking anywhere on property? Most other local hotels charge a daily parking fee, as much a $25 per day, but we continue to offer free parking for our GUESTS. Our weekend parking attendant is well versed on the numerous public parking lots on St Pete Beach, and there are several FREE taxi services that will deliver visitors from the remote lots to our hotel, for a simple gratuity to the drivers, plain and simple.

Compared to many other beach markets in Florida (like Miami Beach) we have an abundance of parking, not only in the hotel lots, but in cheap (or free) alternative lots, within minutes of the beachfront hotels.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Thanks again for the comments,