“Wondeful Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Wondeful Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

An updated 'Old Style' beach hotel with updated suites that are moderately priced, and a great value. The entire staff here could not be more friendly, courteous, and helpful. this room was nicely appointed with a very comfortable king bed, nice ceramic tile floors nice flat screen TV, and a small,but very useful kitchenette. The two pools and the smaller 'hot pool' ( too big to be called a tub) are very clean. They have a Tiki bar which is what I would call the 'Cheer's' of these types of bars. The bar staff are so nice and you are remembered and treated as if you live there full time! Since this is family friendly, there are the obvious noise levels from the pool area, but that, to me, is to be expected. I had the opportunity to meet Mark the President and owner, and he relayed to me that a full 40% of his customers are repeat.....with me..that percentage will go up a point lol. The ONLY reason I didn't give a five, is that there is not a restaurant on site. But there are several great restaurants right across, and short walking distance either way on the street.

Room Tip: Rooms are a available with fantastic Gulf view which are obviously more expensive. I'm quite hap...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel has potential but needs an upgrade. The rooms are spacious but the carpet is old and the couch is very worn out looking and feeling. They have a nice space on the beach side for parties. The front desk people are hit and miss for friendly.

• Stayed August 2013
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel with my 8 month old. My room was very inconvient to get to especially with a child, pack and play, suit case, and diaper bag in toe. I had to go up an elevator which was not easy to find and only after asking a staff member did I find it, then once I was on the right floor I had to walk around and across to the right building. The hotel was dirty i the elevator and hallways and just could have been better. The room was sufficient, again could have been better as far as cleanliness. The bed was okay as far as comfort and the little kitchenette was sufficient for the fridge but not much else.

I did not have a horribly negative experience, but I did not have a good one either. I just left with the feeling that it could have been better for the price.

Room Tip: It looked like rooms facing the beach were easier to get to and in a cleaner area/building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just got back from St pete beach and it was great. I have been going to this beach every couple of years for 43 years, first 20 with my parents and grandparents and 23 solo and now my wife and kids. I always come back because I know what I will be getting. I can't speak about every room since we always stay in the premium gulf front suites. The room has always been clean, modern, and the view has been tops. When I was younger we stayed a few times at Shafts/ sandpiper, and now guy harveys, and could not remember views like this. The only down fall to the view would be that monstrosity of a slide at the Tradewinds. They do deflate it at 5 everyday, but the kids all around love it, I just look the other way. I have read a few reviews complaining about the room and just don't get it. Its clean, modern, comes with a small kitchen with stove, fridge, micr and dishwasher. Plus I believe they are around 500 sqft. I did stay at the Tradewinds once in the past and you will pay over $300 a night for an ocean/big slide view a night, plus a huge resort fee. I am not sure how long the current owners have owned this property but it is evident how much pride and money they put into it. I can go on but their website is pretty accurate. If I had to find one negative thing to say about the Alden it would be the very rude guy working in the hut on the beach. We tried using the cabanas out on the beach( not part of the hotel, privately owned) and this man came over and said $50 bucks. No hello or an explanation about the chairs, just $50 bucks ($25 a piece). So I went up and got the money to pay him for the chairs. A few hours later the lady next to me told me she paid $5 bucks for a few hours. So I went to investigate it and the guy told me if I don't like it take a hike( again, this guy does not work for the hotel). So the point of this story is do not use them, go across the street get an umbrella and a couple chairs. Thanks to the owners, keep up the good work. Will be back.

Room Tip: For the best views, get an ocean front top floor.
Fantastic Review!

This guest makes many excellent observations that I would like to comment on:

1) We take pride in the cleanliness and convenience of our suites, and yes the premium Gulf front suites are worth the upgrade for the breathtaking Gulf views and sunsets
2) The Tradewinds super slide is a very popular attraction next door to the Alden and kids at the Alden like the fact that it is only a few hundred yards from our hotel
3) Our suites offer numerous in-suite amenities that you won't find at a "typical" beach hotel and they are about 40% larger than a hotel "room"
4) Our rates are very reasonable for the product you get (a suite for the price of a room) and we refuse to charge "resort fees" of up to $25-35 per day for the use of our resort facilities and amenities. We offer FREE in suite coffee, free gourmet coffee and fresh fruits in the lobby, free daily newspaper delivered to your suite (including the Sunday Times), free WiFi, free parking, Free use of any and all recreational amenities, and the list goes on and on
5)Our family has owned the Alden since 1969 and yes we put money back in EVERY year, to the tune of about $500,000 per year, on average, some years much more. We have great pride of ownership and I'm glad you think it shows!

Now, to respond to the only negative comment:

I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience with the leased out cabana rental company, and have no excuse for that non-hospitable behavior by one of their employees. However, you may want to know that effective September 4, 2013, we will install BRAND new larger cabanas
and we have hired a new management company to operate the cabana rentals on our behalf. Alden guests will get a $5 discount off the daily cabana rental rate and I promise excellent customer service, credit and debit cards will be accepted (so you don't have to run back to your suite to get cash) AND best of all, Alden guests will be able to charge the cabana rentals to their suite! It will still be an independent operator, but we will closely monitor their service and hospitality

Sorry to ramble on, but I want to let all Trip Advisor fans know what's going on at Alden Suites

At Your Service,

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The resort is reasonably priced and on the beach. We had a great view. The guy in the gift shop was really helpful. Our kitchen appliances were clean. The overall look was dated and they didn't offer free wifi but we spent most of our time on the beach, in the pool, or at Busch Gardens. Over all it was a good place to bring the kids. Will be back in the future.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments...However, we have been offering FREE WiFi since June 1st of this year...

sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night so we could have a couple of days at the beach as a break from Orlando, the hotel was great everyone was really friendly, we arrived early around 11am and asked if we could use their facilities as check in wasnt til 4pm, but they said our room was ready and we could check in now, we were elated (not many hotels would let you check in 5 hours before) we could now enjoy the beach and retreat to our room if we had enough of the sun, which I did around 3pm with a headache so It was great to be able to go for a lie down to sleep it off, the rooms were basic but nice and compact with everything you need including a dish washer I was impressed. lovely balcony and amazing view of the gulf of mexico I will definitely recommend a gulf view room, the beds were really comfy as well much better than my bed back at the villa we were staying at. We took advantage of the buy one get one free drink at the bar which was nice and refreshing we had the ladies who worked there her special drink which was very nice. overall not a 5* hotel but for me much nicer as the staff were really friendly sometimes you wont get that from a posh hotel. so thanks for our very short stay, next time we'll come back and stay longer :)

Room Tip: book a gulf view room, amazing view
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I LOVE this type of review!

This guest made some very excellent points about the Alden:

1) We are not a 5-diamond hotel, but yes, we are very friendly and treat guests like family. I liked the comment that "sometimes you don't get this type of friendly service at a "posh" hotel
2) If your suite is ready when you arrive, you check in early. Why would any hotel make you wait until "official" check in time if your room is ready? That makes no sense at all
3)Our Gulf front suites have killer views with full size balconies, one of the very few St Pete Beach hotels that offer full size Gulf front balconies that are large enough for 2 chaise lounges and a table

Thanks again for the wonderful review,

Hermosa Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is reasonably priced, right on the beach and the rooms are huge! We stayed in a Queen 1 bedroom suite. The pools are nice, hot tub is awesome but the rooms are a little dated. The staff was very friendly and helpful, parking was easy and the kitchen made it easy for us to make a few things in the room. Overall a great place to stay.

rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
As I always remind the staff when they talk about our "Rooms"......We don not have any "Rooms" only large SUITES, and that is what sets the Alden apart from many of the local beach hotels.

It may be cliche, but at the Alden, you "get a suite for the price of a room"

Thanks for your nice comments,

President & part owner

Been to Alden Suites? Share your experiences!