“Noisy!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Tonganoxie
“Noisy!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The rooms were really nice and recently updated with nice furnishings and flat screen TV's.Nice hot tub one which we enjoyed very much!! The cobblestone walkways right by the bedroom was very noisy when the maids pushed their carts in the morning,we ended up taking our mattress off our bed and putting it on top the hideabed in the living area just to get some sleep as we are NOT early risers!! Nice beachfront bar to enjoy the beautiful sunsets!A nice place to stay!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments about the recently renovated suites and our ideal beachfront location, I sincerely appreciate it!

Re: the housekeeping carts in the corridors: We are currently replacing the old carts with brand new, rubber wheeled very quiet rolling carts...I am sorry that the carts disrupted your sleep, but housekeeping has to get started at 8:30-9:00 AM in order to service all the 143 suites on property and handle the numerous daily checkouts as well. This is only the second time in over 10 years that I have heard that the carts are noisy in the corridor. I will look into that issue right away with our Director of Housekeeping..thanks for the "heads up"

President & part owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Wedding reception outside on a Saturday night and people occupied the outside bar. Extremely loud until 1am couldn't take it anymore, called front desk. They sent security (yeah right). At 2:30 a.m. called again and security finally shut the lights off on the bar, sent the people back to their rooms. A lot of smokers, a girl almost drowned (but was saved) in the ocean, rooms were old but adequate. Cleaning staff (paid daily tip) but still didn't clean room until well after 3pm and things were still a little disarray. Disappointed no food on site.

Room Tip: Gulf view was well worth the extra money, but beware of the loud bar on the weekend.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
This was a very rare situation, as our beach bar closes by 11PM at the latest, even on weekends. The wedding group was hanging out there well after the bar closed and were warned by Security to "keep it down" several times. They would quiet down and then start right back up again. This is not a normal weekend night at the Alden, and for that I sincerely apologize.

We are a non smoking hotel, even on the balconies, but we do allow smoking at the bar and the other open air areas.

Not sure what suite these guest occupied but they all have been totally renovated within the past 1-5 years. We maintain a 3-diamond rating and are inspected annually by AAA

Housekeeping starts at 9 AM and when we are running full, like most weekends, it depends on the suite location what time the suite is serviced. You can call the front desk and ask for "early service" and we are usually very good about taking care of those who requested early service before Noon

Again, this was an isolated incident (the after hours noise at the bar) and it will not happen again...

Thanks very much,

Chapin, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

One of the best places to stay in the St. Pete/ Clearwater area. Try to get a beach front room, not a Bermuda room. You will like the beach bar and the white sand beach. The bartenders are great and there are lots of great restaurants around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Goose Creek, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I booked with Travelocity for the Gulf front room, due to the hotel itself not matching the price found on the web, even though they say they do. And now I am scared, our family will be put in the same situation. We stayed at the Alden before and had a Run of the House room, but was booked thru the hotel, which this reservation agent, who was very nice, matched the price from Travelocity, 2 years ago, but no one would bother this year. Fingers crossed we do not end of for a week in the same situation!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Please do not be "scared" by the previous review...call the hotel, ask for Reservations and make sure that you are on the same page with us BEFORE you arrive.

People exaggerate from time to time...

Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My daughter, 2 grandchildren and I just stayed at Alden Beach Resort. For weeks and including the day of checkin I begged for a ground floor suite. I booked a Gulf Front Suite on Hotels.com (which I have used for many years and many, many bookings but will never use again) and was put in the WORST suite possible. The deck was about 18 inches!!! No room for deck chairs there! We tried to work with the front desk AND Hotels.Com for better accommodations and we were given a choice of the same suite type. There are 2 of the same disappointment. I asked for them to upgrade us to a suite with a deck and was told that would be an extra charge. Everyone, please beware that Hotels books a run of the house and if a nice room is available, most reputable hotels will put you in the best possible. Not Alden Suites. They will put you in the worst possible disregarding the fact that several were open on a Sunday night. I am so totally disgusted and now my memories of being here with my best friend (who is deceased now)are tainted and I am embarrassed that my grandchildren witnessed our family being so mistreated. We spent our 2 days at the Tradewinds because I couldn't bear looking at the place. Faucets leaked. Light bulbs were burned out and those in charge of my fate of staying there didn't care. Done asking for help. Done with Alden Beach Resort. Done with Hotels.Com. In fact, I have two more bookings with them that I will cancel.

• Stayed April 2013
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
After reviewing these comments with the VP of Operations, please allow me to clear up a few exaggerated statements made in this review:

This guest reserved ROH, which stand for "Run of the House" which is a significantly discounted rate for "run of the house" which means that we do our very best to assign the very best suite available that is not already reserved / occupied. If a guest elects to book a specific suite type, they generally pay more to guaranty that suite type. With ROH, it is a slight gamble (for a much lower rate) that if the desired suite types are already occupied, you may not get the suite type that you desire. In other cases ROH might get you the very best suiet in the hotel, at a significantly discounted rate, plain and simple.

In this case, the guest wanted a full balcony Gulf front suite and we simply did not have any available on those dates. The suite assigned is a very large, renovated Gulf front suite with full kitchen / living room, but happens to be one of only 6 Gulf front suites that has a "stand up " balcony versus the full size balcony that 95% of the Gulf front suites have.

The complaints about "leaky faucets and burned out light bulbs" appear to be "venting" since this guest did not get the desired suite type, and for that I am sorry.

Please see the other 97% of reviews that paint a more realistic picture that we DO CARE about our guests and treat them as guests in our own home

At Your Service

Richmond, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Alden Beach resort April 2013. We had selected the resort from options found on the internet. When we arrived we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. Our room was clean and tastefully decorated. The kitchen was adequately stocked with needed cooking and eating supplies. The two pools and hot tubs were great. More than adequate number of lounge chairs were available. The beach is truly a few steps away from your room.
There is a small grab and go store on site, a hotdog stand and a cabana bar. There is not a restaurant. The resort is located close to numerous restaurants, shopping and medical facility. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Another very satisfied customer / guest!!!!

Thanks very much,

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at the Alden for a few nights for wedding. I had a Lanai suite, with a beautiful ocean view. The rooms was very clean and well maintained. The beds were very comfortable. I was thrilled to have a stove and tea kettle so I could make tea in the morning!

There were plenty of towels and amenities in the bathroom, and while the water pressure was not the best I've ever experienced, it was more than adequate.

As previously noted, the staff was VERY friendly and helpful, and I appreciated that. They were right on it with directions, calling for cabs, and making recommendations.

I also have to say, in my section of the hotel, it was VERY quiet! I did not hear a peep from either side of me. Also, the wedding party I was with was probably the noisiest group in the hotel, admittedly. We could be found on any night, gathered into someone's room. Either the walls are made of concrete, or we had the most wonderful neighbors in the world. We were totally prepared to disband when the "keep it down!" calls came in, but they never did, which was great for us- but I hope we did not keep anyone up! Sunday, the group took advantage of the BBQ deck and we had a post wedding cook out- plenty of room and grill space.

The Alden is no luxury hotel,but I found it to be perfectly nice- clean, comfortable and a good value (at least with group pricing!). I doubt I'll be back to Florida anytime soon, but I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Get the Lanai building for the best view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Fantastic review!

I'm glad your wedding party enjoyed the stay, and thanks for pointing out how nice and helpful our staff is....

President & part owner

Been to Alden Suites? Share your experiences!