“Quaint” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Augusta, Georgia
“Quaint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I do like the Alden Beach hotel. Okay it is one of those old Florida hotels, but that is the charm. There is not much for children to do here other than the pool or shuffle board and the beach. There is a tennis court above the parking garage. The rooms are big and mine usually has a small kitchenette. The air conditioner is a little loud, but in the heat of summer it is worth having it on. The bathrooms are clean but very small. I have had the ocean front room and the pool side rooms. As long as you are not on the bottom floor the pool side rooms are nice. You can sit outside your room with a little roof over head and mostly shady. They deliver the local paper outside your door. My wife and I enjoy the small bar that faces the beach. It is a nice place to lounge and sip a few all day. If you want, there are rental cabanas on the beach which are not a bad seat for the money. The pure white sand of the beach will bake you fast and the wife and I found the cabana a great place to take refuge. The hotel is conveniently located to traveling to Clearwater or St. Petersburg. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but there are a few places to eat within walking distance. The lobby is small but I have always found the counter people to be very helpful. The hotel has a small store, but it closes early and opens late. So travel out the door and to the left of the hotel about a block and a half and there is a convenience store nearby. Yes there are fancier places on the beach, but if you like quaint and friendly, this is a good place to try.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach on the seciond and third floor are the best, but the ones facing the pool on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here the first weekend in November. We booked our room with credit card points so initially we booked into a pool side king suite. After reading the reviews, we knew to ask for an upgrade to a gulf front suite ($40/night). It is an older hotel and the layout of the room and the bathroom reflected that. The furnishings were new and very nice. The beach is wide and they have rental chairs available. The downside was that there was a one man band playing on Friday night and Saturday night at the cabana bar and the music could be heard in our room. I prefer a more tranquil resort, which we found while walking down the beach to escape the music. The Guy Harvey Tradewinds resort is truly a resort with restaurants and much nicer pool areas. Also, it didn't have the band, so the next time we go to St. Pete Beach we will not be staying at the Alden.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was very happy with our 2 day visit to Alden. I knew nothing of the area and the staff was absolutely wonderful and accomodating, our room was very clean and spacious, and the beach and pools were beautiful and well taken care of. Had I known the area better, I probably would of chosen a room with a better view of the beach but we booked thorugh our bank so it wasn't really an option. A little disappointed there was no playground but we wouldn't of had enough time to enjoy it and who knows, it may have been there and I didn't look good enough. We would definately stay here again. The noise of the jacuzzi renevation was not bad and I'm sure will be awesome when its done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Port Perry, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Luckily my husband and I chose last week to visit Alden and missed "Sandy's" fury. However in reference to the resort itself, I do disagree with some of Bill's review in saying that although Alden is NOT a new resort in the area,,,they are trying their best to accommodate in any way that they can. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating..yes it is an older resort to most on the strip,,so DO keep that in mind when booking. Renovations to the lobby and one of the hot tubs was taking place on our departure and there was a major road construction also happening in front, however, staff as I said were most pleasant and anxious to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Our first room was not exactly what I had expected in size and cleanliness,,,but that was remedied to an upgrade NO problems at all! The view greatly depends on what suite you book sir! Both of ours were fabulous! Of course we had reserved end units facing the gulf and on the higher floors, that makes a big difference. The location is great because of the fact you can walk or take "free" transit to most anywhere...Food establishments are plentiful in walking distance and the public transit (which looks like a San Francisco trolley) we found out to be $4.50 for the DAY!!! Traveling even to Clearwater if you wished.. Oh yes, and the Cabana Bar....the most pleasant interesting Bartenders I've ever met. Kudos to them...2 pools were available, BBQ's, shuffleboard, tennis, basketball and a beach to die for...In closing I will say, that for your dollar value, this is a good buy. If you're looking for glamorous accommodations the price tag follows....and St. Pete's has a lot of those to offer...

Room Tip: Corner suite, 4th, 5th or 6th floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had booked the gulf view room for our visit. However the view is distant and covered by trees.
The front desk staff send us to the wrong room and after we reached the top floor of the property we couldn't open the room with our key. then I left my bags and walked a long way back to the reception area . The staff checked and apologized that the room number got mixed up and then gave the right number which was ground floor.
At that time I asked of the possibility to get a change of room on the higher floor but was told that there will be an extra charge .

When we entered the room , we found the layout a bit odd since the beds were attached next to the entrance door and we found the room ( bedroom ) bit dingy.Not well lit .
The good part was we could walk to the beach from our room.Also the rooms were big with large kitchen and bathroom but the overall set up is not ideal for couples.

Lastly when we requested for a late check out ( 1 hr extra ) we were refused even though we have checked in 2 hours late.
Our overall experience was not pleasant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Conklin, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I vacation on St. Pete Beach every October and we have stayed at the Alden five times. Our stays are generally between four days and a full week. In general, this is a great hotel. The location is excellent with many restaurants and stores within walking distance. The beach is beautiful. The cabana bar is nice with very friendly wait staff. For most of our stays, we have had a great time here.
This trip we were very disappointed due to a booking misunderstanding, so I am posting this in hopes that other vacationers can be advised.
I have stayed in all types of rooms at the Alden including Barbados suite, Lanai suite, and the “poolside” rooms. Room quality can be vastly different based on where you are in the hotel.
A gulf front room is definitely the way to go and there is a major difference in some of the rooms that are gulf front. The six floor building houses the best suites. I have always preferred the Barbados since they are slightly less expensive because they have a half “standing” balcony rather than a full balcony. Those rooms are very nice, updated, and spacious with a full kitchen and full size refrigerator. The “Lanai” suites are located in the three story building. These rooms are small, grubby, with a tiny “kitchenette” right outside the bathroom door. The bedroom area is right by the pool and you hear people coming and going right outside of your tiny window all night. The only good thing about the lanai suites is that they are gulf front. The poolside suites are much nicer and more spacious than the Lanai suites.
For my most recent stay, I booked my room through Expedia in July for our annual October vacation. The booking included a gulf front “run of the house” suites. Now the words “run of the house” lead me to believe that it is the best rooms available. Since I knew that I did not like staying in the Lanai suites, I called the Alden immediately after booking to make sure that I would be able to have a Barbados suite. I had a very nice conversation with one of the desk representatives who assured me that we could have a Barbados suite during our stay. Upon arrival, we were told that those suites were completely booked and were given a Lanai suite on the ground floor. I expressed my disappointment since I had called to make sure of our accommodations, but the woman working the desk explained that when booking though Expedia, they could not guarantee what room I would get and stated flatly that staff would never promise a specific room. We finally talked to Alex who was very helpful. He confirmed that my request was noted in the computer. He did try very hard to change our room, but due to a wedding party in the building, all of the gulf front rooms were booked and it was impossible to make the change. He did offer us a gift card to use in the bar which was a very nice gesture. However, we were still very disappointed. While this did not ruin our vacation, we did not enjoy our time spent in the room. Based on this experience, we are considering whether or not we will book future stays at the Alden.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Largo, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here for a reunion the first of October for the last 3 years. We live locally and love the hotel. We stayed in the lanai gulf front room which had 2 full size beds, a kitchenette, and a room with a table, couch, and a modern flat screen tv. There is also a flat screen in the bedroom. The grounds are well kept and clean. There are plenty restaurants in walking distance and also a Publix. Gas grills and tables on the second floor. Two nice pools and beautiful St. Pete beach. Even though we live 20 minutes up the road in town we plan on staying again for a weekend getaway. I cannot see why anyone would have any complaints about this place because its a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with a gulf front room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Alden Suites? Share your experiences!