“Will be staying here from now on!” 4 of 5 stars

Alden Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5900 Gulf Blvd, St. Pete Beach, FL 33706   |
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
waverly iowa
“Will be staying here from now on!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my first stay at the Alden Suites on St. Pete Beach. I really enjoyed this resort. I had a poolside King Suite. It had a small little kitchen, with dishes, pans, silverware, all you need to cool a meal. A couch that made into a bed. The king size bed was very comfortable. The sink outside the bathroom was really low for some reason, but that is no reason to not to come back! There is a safe inside the closet. The room had a little hair dryer, pool towels, extra shower towels. I really enjoyed the two chairs outside each room, you can sit out there and have your coffee.
This resort has two pools, two hot tubs, and area with three gas grills for you to use to grill out. There is also a little bar if you would like to get drinks,
I have always stayed at the Tradewind Suites right next door, but I like the Alden Suites much better, they also have free parking! Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Milford, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the Alden for our third time even though we had discussed going elsewhere. We were expecting the Bermuda suite which has a king size bed, but were told that was not available, and because we booked through a third party (Travelocity), the room we requested was not guaranteed. They put us in the Nassau suite, #616, which is a larger suite but has 2 queen beds. There were 2 TVs, one a newer HD TV and the other an older analog TV with a converter box. One queen bed was fine, the other was mushy and way too soft. The toaster made toast but didn’t pop up, the microwave turntable didn’t turn. There were some very tiny (and I think harmless) bugs in the kitchen on the counter. A couple of the lights had dim or bad bulbs, or the switch had to be turned several times before the light came on like a three way lamp with a one way bulb.

Even though several of these things were minor, the mushy bed was not, so I talked to the front desk. They were extremely nice and very accommodating. They replaced a couple of bulbs, said the microwave turntable wasn’t supposed to turn, didn’t do anything about the toaster, but most importantly, they actually brought in a firmer mattress after trying a hard board between the mattress and box springs (which did little to help).

The next day, in a resort that was at least half empty, they put a family right next door to us with a small baby and some smaller children. After listening to the baby screaming uncontrollably for about an hour, the other children being noisy and obnoxious, I had to talk to the front desk again. They offered to move us to a different room. It was a pain because we were unpacked and using the dressers, but we said okay. Went to the new room only to find out it had a terrible musty smell. Went back to the front desk and they gave me yet another room. This time we didn’t move anything until I went to check it out and the guy at the front desk said if there was a problem, call him from there and he would bring new keys to me. This room had a bad smell also, not musty but some bad smell. We had most of the week left to stay so I called again. The guy arrived with keys to one of the Gulf front suites at no extra charge. We went to check it out together, and it was fine. No smells, good beds, both TVs were HD, but it had a smaller refrigerator and no dishwasher. It was a wedge room and smaller than the other gulf front rooms, certainly a smaller balcony, but since we were not paying an upcharge it was fine.

Then I awoke in the middle of the night in a sweat, the AC was not staying cool. My wife told me in the morning she had tried to lower the temp during the night, but could not get the thermostat to respond. So I called the front desk again. They did something to it because it was finally staying cooler until our last night there, then it started not holding the temperature again.

The worst thing though was at checkout, when I stopped to make sure there were no additional charges (I always do this). I am so glad I did as I was informed there was a $21.xx charge to the room from the bar. Now my wife and I visited the Cabana bar on premises 3 times during our visit, and each time we had one drink each and paid cash for them on the spot. The guy showed me a receipt with the charges (bloody Mary BTW, which neither of us drink), and the room # and name printed at the top and a signature at the bottom that was not mine or my wife’s. Now the only people who would know our last name and what room we were in are the two people at the front desk that helped us move to the new room, and I guess anyone else working the front office. Maybe they figured we drank at the bar and would have other charges and not notice this one, but they were wrong. This really infuriates me. Bad enough to have all the other issues, but then for someone to use my name and try to pass bar charges on to me, that is the last straw.

Even though they tried to be very accommodating to meet our needs, we will never be staying there again. We like the St Pete Beach area, and there are many other choices, or we will go to Sarasota or Clearwater or somewhere else in Florida.
Also, they had pay by the hour, or day or week wi-fi, and said it was because they didn’t have a resort fee or parking fee. Hey, it’s 2012, and almost everywhere I have stayed recently has had free wi-fi. Their’s starts in April.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Overall, not a bad place to stay. Though, calling it a resort, it's a bit of a stretch. It's a dressed up Motel, at best. My family and I stayed here 4 nights. Got a deal through Expedia. First room we checked in to, upon peeling the top covers back to do the mandatory bed bug, and cleanliness check, found foreign hairs on both beds. The front desk supervisor that night, Beau, apologized and quickly assigned us another room. Unfortunately, we found hairs under the covers in this room as well. I called the front desk and asked that they come look themselves. Beau came up to witness, and was prepared with a complimentary upgrade to one of their nicer ocean front room, and a gift card for our inconvenience. Unbelievably though, upon checking this room, we actually found more hairs under the covers than in the previous 2 rooms. Finally, I just asked that they send us some clean sheets and we'd do the beds ourselves. We also refused housekeeping for our entire stay. I don't know what the deal was with that... perhaps their process of washing/drying sheets needs reviewed. Oh, yeah, and the second night, I get up to get some water from the fridge, and see a cockroach run for cover between the stove and the fridge. This is in one of their nicer rooms BTW. In my mind, this really put the Motel stamp on the place. Also, the Elevator certificate in the tower were I stayed was expired.

In any case, if it wasn't because I was meeting other family members who were also staying at this hotel, I probably would've looked for another place to stay.

The good....

-The location of this place is great. The stretch of beach it sits on is fantastic.
-The rooms are comfortable.
-Free parking
-Community Gas grills

The bad...
-Cleanliness is lacking
-No free wi-fi (Come on, really? This should be a complimentary service. Tip: You may be able to pick up a signal from one of the neighboring hotels from the balcony).

So, overall, more positives than negatives, though I had to give it a poor rating because of my experience with the foreign hairs in the beds, and the critters. To give it anything higher would mean that this sort of thing is acceptable.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel is not new but sits on a pristeen beach, comfortable updated suites with kitchenettes, flat screens and very large all for a very reasonable price. They do not nickel and dime you to death, they are generous with beach towels and everyone was beyond friendly plus a free paper! My only wish would be a small coffee maker in the rooms. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed August 2012
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I had a Gulf view suite that was very nice.The first thing I noticed was how clean the rooms where.The beach is so beautiful,every evening was sat on the private balcony and had drinks.The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer.Ther are two pools and both are very clean and beautiful.My wife and I are planning a nother stay at the Alden in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shady Hills, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

A friend and I very much enjoyed the weekend at the Alden. Great suite, friendly staff. Lounging at the sunny beach was great, and then coming back to swim in the clean pools was most heavenly. We met many frendly people at the cazebo where the bartender was funny and breeze was cool and comfortable. Needless to say, I was quite impressed with the resort. Loved it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor overlooking the Gulf. Loved it.
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Pretty good stay at the Alden. Great beachside location. Got a ground floor unit. Simple, but adequate rooms with a small bath, king bed and small kitchenette. Only bad point was the sofa sleeper. It had seen the last of its good days. After padding it with 3 blankets, I managed to survive. But my back isn't happy. Would be fine for the kids. Location is great, safe place. All in all a good stay. Would suggest bringing our own beach towel, theirs are pretty thin. no parking fee and no resort fee. $10 a day for wi-fi. The beach here is really wonderful. Very clean. Volleyball on sight. have to rent chairs beachside. Hair dryer provided, along with iron and ironing board.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor beachside, skip the corner room if you like a balcony. The rooms looked great, bu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Alden Suites? Share your experiences!