“Fantastically chilled” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
england
“Fantastically chilled”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

This is a great find in St Pete Beach. Unpretentious, friendly and superclean! We booked this at the very last minute on expedia, we arrived a day later than expected due to flight delays and we found that they had already tried to contact expedia to refund us for the night we missed- very decent.

Originally we were in a garden room, which was okay but no great shakes. However, for one reason and another we ended up in a Gulf view room. Well, that really made it for us. It was fantastic and the view- just what you would wish for. It really made our holiday and we cannot emphasise enough- if your budget can stretch to a Gulf view room then most definitely take one! They make a big, big difference.

The atmosphere is very relaxed and it's great to sit out in the garden beneath the palms with a few drinks. Or take, literally, a couple of steps onto the beach and walk along the shore.

A great place to stay. Super friendly staff.

• Liked — Gulf view room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stumbled upon the Alden via Expedia. I had specific needs on this short trip and the Alden did not dissappoint. We stayed in the Nassau suite that had a pool view with a side ocean view. The resort is well maintained and very clean. I loved that there are no extra resort fees with free parking. The beach was also to die for. White sand with tonnes of shells. I brought along some flashlights and the kids loved the evening stroll on the beach! This is not a luxury resort but more than fulfilled our vacation experience. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Beach, pool, room, staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Leicester England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We 'discovered' the Alden by accident last year, my husband, myself and our 3 kids stayed in a Gulf front suite. We only stayed 2 nights as they were toally booked up. Loved it so much that we are returning to Florida this year and have booked a week at the Alden. Only 1 company in England has this property in their brochure, and only garden suites! Not a problem, I booked directly with them on the net. Cant wait to chill out with a Mai Tai whilst watching a beautiful sunset. The suites are superb, the staff fabulous, the facilities wonderful. Kids loved everything about it - happy kids equal very happy and relaxed parents.

• Liked — The space
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

We arrived in Florida with a reservation at a hotel in nearby Treasure Island, but after looking at the room we booked we decided to shop around the area for a better room at a better price. We visited the area many times, but that was over 15 years ago. Yet many of the hotels that were around back then in both Treasure Island and St. Pete Beach are still around today.

One of the hotels we stayed in back then was the Alden Beach Resort, and we loved it back then, so we were very anxious to see if we could get a good deal on a room this time. Well they did give us a good deal on the same exact type of room we stayed in way back then (may have even been the exact same room number).

The room we stayed in both times is called the “Nassau” suite. It was a huge room for only the two of us. One of the rooms had two full beds, and the other room had a sofa bed with a full kitchen. There were TVs in each room, with a very nice sized bathroom in between the rooms and an extra sink outside the bathroom. The room really was great. It even had a small view of the ocean from the high floor we were on, even though an ocean view is not advertised with the room.

Outside of a few minor problems that really are not worth mentioning, the time we spent at the Alden was amazing. The hotel and the area are just as great as they were over 15 years ago. It is no surprise that many of the great hotels and resorts in the area are still in business after so many years.

• Liked — Right on a great beach.
  • Disliked — Can't really think of anything.
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsford, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed for three nights at The Alden Beach Resort between Christmas and New Year's. Our family of four stayed in a one bedroom suite with a beautiful gulf view. The suite was attractive and comfortable with a kitchenette area that was more than adequate for our needs. They supplied all necessary dish ware and utensils. We shopped at Publix (less than a mile away) to have breakfast in the room each morning. There was a coffeemaker, toaster and microwave. There were two nice pools and lighted tennis courts. The beach was beautiful and well maintained. The hotel was within walking distance of several great family restaurants (try Woody's Waterfront for great food and local flavor). We had two minor complaints. The air conditioning in our suite was weak and the maintenance worker was unable to do anything but monkey with the thermostat (we could do that ourselves). On the day of our departure, we slept in and realized that it would be difficult to check out by the stated 11:00AM time. I called the front desk and asked to check out slightly later (30 minutes). They refused, saying that they were fully booked and needed the room. I think that they could have been a little more accommodating, considering that we were only asking for 30 minutes. All in all though, it was a very nice stay and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

We have stayed at the Alden every 1-2 years for the past 20, and were pleased to have our decision to do so confirmed again in October - what a great stay! I received notice on booking through Southwest Airlines that the hotel was being painted and was concerned about that, but they were already done with the Lanai building when we arrived.

We had a Lanai suite in that building, so had the great beach front view with a nice balcony. We buy groceries at the Publix just down the street, and find that the galley kitchen is adequately supplied for our needs. The living room furniture in our room was a little tired looking, but was still comfy. The timing of the housekeeping staff was a little inconsistent, but they seemed to do a fine job. Our biggest complaint was the beds - YIKES! My husband and I both had back aches after just a couple days. They could really stand to update them.

The Alden's crowing achievement, in my opinion, is the fact that they've been able to keep the same staff in their Cabana Beach bar for the better part of 10 years! Elaine and Kitty are amazing ambassadors for the hotel, friendly to a fault, and will go out of their way to give you directions, make restaurant recommendations, etc. As another reviewer mentioned, the bar does close early, but that's not a problem in my book - there are numerous other "boom boom" beach bars within easy walking distance on the beach. If you're looking for a beach bar where the vibe is easy, relaxed, and relatively quiet, this is the place for you.

• Liked — The view from our Lanai suite and Elaine & Kitty at the Cabana Beach Bar!
  • Disliked — The beds! (And having to go home!)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Staying at the Alden was a very pleasant surprise. I chose the resort because I'd once stayed there with my mother over 40 years ago....and the TA reviews were pretty good. I called the property on fairly short notice to see what they had in a Gulf front unit...I got a "top of the line" Cayman for $189 plus tax.

The Alden reception staff were cordial and welcoming. They were also very helpful in getting my return boarding pass printed. I even got a two-for -one drink coupon as a welcome (not bad!).

My room was much better than I expected...in part because I had not expected much. It turned out to be extremely clean with a well stocked kitchenette. Maid service was very efficient and I felt quite safe there. ( I was staying by myself and had some qualms about a property with open corridors.)

The beach is white and very wide at this point in St. Pete Beach, but the sand is quite densely packed and has bits of broken shell. I suspect they may "replenish" the beach here with dredged sand. However, you can walk for literally miles and the piles of shells at the water's edge are a feature for the shell collectors. If you stay here, do go a couple of miles south to Pass A Grille beach and check that out. It's where I used to go when I lived nearby and the sand up by the dunes there is that soft, white, sugar sand I'd remembered.

The living room area had a nice balcony and as I walked onto it, I was greeted by the sight of a pod of dolphins just offshore. They returned several times during the trip. The area has many shore birds and pelicans as well, a very welcome sight for me because I recall the time decades ago when they were growing few because of DDT thinning the shells of their eggs.

The Alden has 2 pools. I did not use them, but they appeared well kept up. The beach bar is pleasant and the bartender was very cordial. It's a nice family atmosphere--the Sandpiper next door sounded more "happening" so if that is to your tastes, check that one out.

Overall, I had the impression of a family-oriented place lovingly maintained and kept very clean, The exterior was still being painted during my stay--the original Alden, by the way, was the little strip of single-story units right behind the reception area. It was gray--yellow came later, in the 70's, as another reviewer has noted.

The unit had plenty of towels and was nicely furnished. The living room had a couch (may be a sleeper since they say you can get 6 in there), table and 4 chairs, kitchenette. The bedroom is right inside the door, with 2 double or queen beds. There is covered parking near each building and a coin laundry for guests. Dolphin Plaza is less than a mile away and has a Publix, CVS, etc. for stocking up on food or sundries.

I am very happy I chose the Alden. If you can get Gulf front, I suggest you do so. It makes for great sunset viewing!

• Liked — Gulf front view, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Pool does not have ocean view and was in shadows
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Alden Suites? Share your experiences!