“Shells Galore!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Trams, Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Eco-friendly trip to unspoiled Shell Key for bird watching, shelling, dolphin watching.
Eustis, Florida
“Shells Galore!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had such a great time with the captain and mate as we were ferried over to Shell Key! What an amazing island! Shelling was just fantastic! Haven't seen this many or size in along time!

Salem, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“take the shuttle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Loved this beach!!!! The shuttle is the way to got much cheaper than the tour. do it yourself and take the shuttle. The shells and beach are amazing!!!!

Alta Loma, California
“Sunset sail - Not!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Very disappointing experience. I booked the sunset cruise expecting a "sail" boat for four people thinking I was booking a sail on the sail boat like the one pictured on the website which used the word catamaran. When I booked I was told a minimum of eight persons was necessary for the boat to go out, and that we needed to be at the dock at 4:15PM for the sunset cruise. At about 3:30PM I received a call saying we were good to go although only two others had made reservations. The meeting time was moved up to 4:00 PM which required us to race like maniacs to get there. Upon arrival at the dock, I asked where the sail boat was and the woman pointed to a pontoon barge like boat. I expressed my disappointment and was told it is indeed a catamaran and that we should not cancel as we had committed and could not let the other two passengers down. Guess I need to be educated on boat terms as it was totally not want I wanted, expected, or what was represented. Upon further discussion about the website, the staff member said "Oh that is a picture of a sailboat from our boat." Seems misleading to me. We decided to make the best of it and pay our fares. Unfortunately, the other two passengers did not show after all that and we were sent on our merry way and given our money back. Perhaps Shell Key Shuttle should consider requiring deposits in the slow season, and providing clear transparency about their boat on their website.

Visited November 2013
Shuttle54, Owner at Shell Key Shuttle, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Shell Key Shuttle is a 40 foot Coast Guard certified Corinthian Catamaran. It is not a pontoon boat. Our home page on the website clearly shows what the boat looks like and nowhere on our site do we imply that we are operating a sail boat. I told the customer that we had only one photo of a sail boat taken from our boat on a sunset cruise on our entire website, and that she must have seen that and assumed that was our boat. I told her where they could book a sunset sailing cruise and they tried calling them from our dock to see if they could get on that boat. That company wasn't offering a sunset cruise that night because they did not have enough people to go.When the other two passengers did not arrive in time for us to do our tour and catch the sunset, we decided to cancel thinking that was best since the remaining four were less than enthusiastic about our boat and had made that clear with their comments and attempts to contact the sailboat company. We thought that was the best way to handle it given the circumstances.
Omaha, Nebraska
7 attraction reviews
“Great time, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is definitely worth the time and money. What a wonderful time we had shelling on the little shell key island. The people that run the shuttle are super nice and waited for us to arrive because we had called that we were stuck in construction traffic. They even gave us restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner that were excellent: Sea Critters and Wahoo's, both yummy! The idiot that wrote the review that the boat trip was too short to cost $25 was too stupid to realize that you are paying for the convenience of being taken to a cool spot that you can otherwise not get too....heeellloooooo,... You are not paying for a sight seeing tour here, you are paying for a ferry ride to shell key to find seashells, which we found a lot of. We had a great time and I would highly recommend this.

Gilford, New Hampshire
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My family and I took the Shell Key Shuttle today. Skies were a bit overcast but the sun did come out which made for a lovely time. The water temp in November is a bit cooler than in other months but not too bad. The shuttle departs four times daily 10,12,2 and 4. We took the first shuttle at 10 and was returned when the 12 shuttle arrived to the island with a new group. You can choose to stay until 4:15 if you like. The owners of the shuttle provide snorkels, beach umbrellas and plastic bags for collecting shells. They also provide a shell and bird identification sheet on your trip back. Cost is $25 for adults and half that for kids plus tax. No man made anything on the island including bathrooms so prepare for that. There is also no shade so the beach umbrellas come in handy. Overall a must if you enjoy shelling. LOTS of different types of shells including sand dollars. Loved it!