“Enjoyable place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
“Enjoyable place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

I needed a motel that accepted dogs around St. Pete Beach and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I made a reservation with Bay Palm and then saw the negative reviews on this web site so I was very worried but my fears were unfounded. Bay Palm is not a fancy place by any means but our room (105) was spacious with lots of storage area and although one end faces a very busy noisy street, the bedroom was towards the back and quiet enough. The appliances and furniture were old but acceptable and in working order and I was told they were doing a remodel in July by bringing in all new furniture. The room was clean although, as is often the case, the bedspreads needed to be laundered (the sheets underneath were clean).
Access to the beautiful beach is at the end of the block (a short walk) and that is also where you can find a good patch of grass for your dog by the drug store (Always pick up after your dog, Please!)
The motel has a small swimming pool, outdoor grills for use by the guests, a hammock, a picnic table, and an enjoyable dock on the bay side. Once again, all these items are older or worn but in working order. We enjoyed fishing from the dock and lounging around on the benches and in the hammock.
Bay Palm is dog friendly so expect some barking but if you're there with your dog, you probably expect that anyway.
I would definitely stay at Bay Palm again when traveling with my dog.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2006

I booked this hotel because I was travelling with my dog. Needless to say it was not fit for a dog. We arrived at 11pm and a note was left at the office saying our room was open and the key was inside. We were late for a family event that we were attending, so we dropped our bags and the dog (in her kennel) and left for the event. We returned back at 1am and it was at that time we realized how dirty this place was.
My husband turned back the bed sheets and there was a blood stain on the bedspread, along with other stains I do not want to imagine what they might be.
The bathroom door did not close because it was too big for the opening. The blinds were broken and could not be closed. The showers were gross. All of the moldings and baseboards were eaten by termites. The light fixtures were rusty or broken. I could go on and on but I hope by the few things I have mentioned you have gotten a good idea of what this place was like.

So now its really getting late and we have no idea what to do or where to go. We sat there for about 2 hours trying to figure out what to do. Finally I found a La Quinta that allowed pets and we booked a room there. My husband called the manager of the hotel and told him that we would not be staying there because it was filthy. He argued and said it was fine. He informed us that we would have to pay the $146 for the night. My husband disputed this with him but the manager was plain rude. At that point we just wanted to get out of there.

We left and went to the LaQuinta. The next day I called my credit card company and he did charge us $146 which I am having my credit card company dispute.

I cannot stress how horrible this place is. I hope I can at least save someone else the misery we went through.

I have uploaded some pictures.

• Stayed May 2006
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Thank you for visiting the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort on St Pete Beach. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay, but a lot have changed since you were last here. This property has been taken over by the Czyszczon Family in April 2010.

Since April.2010, we have completely gutted the entire property and have renovated everything including pool area, decks, piers, walkway, completely new rooms with LCD’s, granite kitchens and bathrooms, and much more. The property is really a gem and I encourage everyone to please visit our new website and view are new photos.

Please disregard all the negative comments and bad photos before April.2010. And we look forward to seeing you at our new property.

Bloomington, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

We recently had made reservations for a week's stay at the Bay palm Resort in St. Pete Beach Fl. When we arrived and saw our room we informed them we were leaving the next day. I believe AAA should re-evaluate the rating on this motel. It is not a two diamond motel.
Our room (an efficiency apartment) had both arms of one of the easy chairs very badly chewed. Two of the kitchen chairs had broken rungs. Both easy chairs were very dirty. The bedcovers were in terrible shape and also very dirty. The bottom of the door was in shatters. The kitchen dished and utensils did not match.

• Stayed March 2006

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

Young couple in mid-20's stayed at the Bay Palm Resort (formerly Ritz Motel) for a few nights in Feb 2006. Hardly a "resort", but I guess the term "motel" is outdated. It is a budget friendly place, with rooms < $100 per night.

Nothing fancy here, just a place to stay with a minimal kitchen. Deck on the intercoastal is nice, and across the street most resorts/motels have walkways inbetween for common beach access.

Be warned: This strip of St Pete Beach is very much senior & earlybird-dinner friendly, and not the place to be if you're looking for action, touristy shops or restos. Parking on site is minimal.

Would I return? Yes, but I would first query for beach-front rooms in the area. If you are in the ages of 20-34, would suggest slightly further north in the "Indian Rocks" strip closer to Clearwater. The "Treasure Island" strip is not far too, rooms are much cheaper, but is also a sleepy-ish area, but closer to the mall and shops on Tyrone blvd.

Good luck with your stay!

• Stayed February 2006
Thank you for visiting the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort on St Pete Beach. I apologize that you did not fully enjoy your stay, but a lot have changed since you were last here. This property has been taken over by the Czyszczon Family in April 2010.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2005

First lets state there are new owners and management. They were working very hard to really improve this motel. We were traveling with a pet, so we decided to come here. I have been coming to St. Pete Beach since 1958 and have stayed at most of the motels in this area. When you travel with a pet you never know what to expect in a motel but this was better than we expected. The room was large cold cold air conditioner wonderful and friendly staff everything was great. The owners are continueing to up grade to make it even more pet friendly. Woderful dock to fish off of nice swimming pool (even my 13 and 15 year old kids loved it) I will be back and with the new owners I would expect to see alot more improvement to make this even a better place to stay. I had no problems or complains the entire time I stayed there would recommend it to anyone for a nice quiet place to relax and enjoy. The last night we were there the owners bought pizza for all the quest and had it down on the dock NOW CAN YOU GET THAT AT THE DON CESAR OR TRADEWINDS (I THINK NOT)

• Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

" As Advertised "

Things could not have possibly have been any closer to " as advertised " at the properties web site! The rooms were well kept and spotlessly clean,We did indeed see dolphins almost on a daily basis and had reports from other guests of many manatee sitings in our abscence shopping and dining around St. Petes Beach.

My husband was pleased with his success fishing especially with his 8 lb yellow fin Jack, the two red snappers, the cat fish and his first catch a Ramora. He also was pleased that he was able to catch ample supplies of bait fish like pinfish with nothing more than bacon or hotdogs for bait! this again was accomplished as with the dolphin and manatee sightings right off the dock " as advertised ".

Our fellow guests were to a person repeat clients and all spoke very highly of their experiences whilst guests at Bay Palm Resorts we can now be added to the Bay Palm's following of repeat satisfied clients! As we will be returning for another holiday in April 2006!

Based on the reasonable prices offered we found this propertyt to be an excellent value with or with out a pet (we did not have a pet). It wasn't Don Ceasar's or the Tradewinds but neither were the prices.

We spent two comfortable weeks there and the hosts certainly advised us of the noise factor from Gulf Blvd. and in fact recommended a standard 1 bedroom suite at lower cost to a deluxe 1 bedroom suite(our original choice as both were available) because it was on the inland waterway side of the property were the noise would be of much lower volume!

Bob & Suzanne Chute
Toronto Canada

• Stayed April 2005
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2005

I recently spent a few days at the Bay Palm Resort on St. Pete Beach in Florida. The website advertising was interesting and the AAA two diamond rating plus the comment "the Bay Palm Resort is enjoyed by people dissatisfied with mediocrity" caught my attention. I ignored the obvious warning "pets are welcome". The Bay Palm Resort is a small "Mom and Pop" establishment run by two congenial, friendly hosts. Unfortunately the Bay Palm Resort is in need of improved management. If the Bay Palm Resort ever was rated two diamonds by AAA, it should definitely be re-evaluated. The unit where I stayed was in great need of further updating and cleaning. Screens and locks on windows and sliding doors were non-existent, at times the room smelled of pet odor, cooking utensils and cutlery should have been been properly cleaned or replaced long ago, the carpet was so filthy that dark footprints were left on other flooring surfaces, the windows appeared not to have been cleaned in months, the ceiling was stained from previous leakage, cabinets and doors were in need of repair and the appliances were old and in need of a thorough cleaning or replacement. I strongly suggest that most people, unless they are vacationers that just cannot leave their pets at home, stay away from an establishment that states that "pets are welcome" since management cannot control some irresponsible pet owners who unfortunatley let their animals urinate on pool decks or deficate on walkways. On the plus side the intercoastal waterway view was excellent and entertaining since dophins often arrived on a daily basis but the traffic noise from Gulf Blvd was unbearable for most of the day and night. To be honest, after a few days stay at the Bay Palm Resort, I would have been satisfied with just plain "mediocrity". I would not recommend the Bay Palm Resort as a vacation destination for most people unless one needs a place to stay with a pet and would also suggest that everyone be wary of what might appear to be questionable website advertising.

Thank you for visiting the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort on St Pete Beach. This property has been taken over by the Czyszczon Family in April 2010.

***Stay at ONE Resort, Play at all THREE Resorts***

Been to Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!