“Great rooftop views, have a drink” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Towamencin Township
“Great rooftop views, have a drink”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Their food has gone down over the past few years but you can't beat the rooftop bar. Get yourself your fave frozen island drink and maybe an appetizer. Watch the sunset and catch a dinner at Mad Fish one mile north on Gulf Blvd.

Visited March 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Lunch - great, View - great, Sunset - great, Dinner - HORRIBLE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Here you have a restaurant with the best possible location, best sunset view, in the St. Pete Elite playground, but the owners sure don't embrace it.

I stumbled upon this and decided to have lunch on the patio. Everything was great - service, food (grouper bits and garlic shrimp), and even the food on other tables look yummy. Based on this, we decided to book a romantic dinner on the second floor in their ''fine dining" area - hoping to catch the sunset. I guess I should have known better when I looked inside the restaurant first floor and saw a rather cluttered open kitchen and dim, dumpy first floor.

We arrived for the reservation (advanced seating actually) and were told to go through the first floor restaurant to the elevator at the back. As the elevator opened, it also opened into the back kitchen - which didn't look very clean. As we entered the second floor restaurant, we were directed to the bar to wait for our table. The bar was sticky as was the plastic coated menu. I asked for water - no lemon and the bar tender responded "that's good 'cause I don't have any". Remember this is a seafood restaurant. My partner ordered a Rum Runner - which was so strong that I couldn't even talk to him without getting drunk myself. We got our drinks just as we were to be seated and were instructed to settle our bill at the bar before going 40 feet to our table.

So much for fine dining....the tables did have table linens on them, but then were covered in newsprint. The Ketchup bottle was plopped in the middle of the table as well as grocery store salt and pepper grinder. The cutlery was wrapped in napkins and thrown on the table. No wine glasses, no cloth napkins, nothing. We caught the sunset just in time - but trust me - there was no way to have a romantic dinner here.

Our server came over and quickly stated that the restaurant was known for it's Grouper, and did we want to order. We had hardly had time to look at the menus. Upon his return, we ordered the lobster ravioli for my partner and the Grouper Oscar (a $35 dinner) for myself. 20 minutes later our dinners arrived. The ravioli was floating in a very loose sauce/soup with two charred chunks of garlic toast on the side - no cheese was offered with this dish. My plate looked like diner food - a hunk of fish, a small crab cake, 2 spindly wilted spears of asparagus, with two side bowls right on the plate - one hollandaise sauce and one coleslaw. My partner ate his and found it okay (maybe because of the buzz from the cocktail) - however, I thought it tasted awful. My dinner was a disgrace. My grouper was dry, hard and a travesty to great fish. I tried very hard to enjoy it, but couldn't stomach it. I finally got a hold of the waiter and described my displeasure. He was gracious about it - offered another or something else, but I declined (I don't like eating alone and by the time I got something else I would have been). He offered for me to talk to the manager but I declined. He did take my meal off the bill. Then he left - and left the offending dish on the table in front of me.

Dismayed, I waited while my partner finished his dish. Before he finished, the waiter actually brought us the bill....no offer of coffee or dessert. I told him I would like Key Lime Pie and he tottered off with the bill. He returned with the pie and the bill and said the pie was on the house (likely he had closed the bill and was to lazy to redo it). I must admit though - the pie was AWESOME.

Would I return? Upstairs - NO WAY, on the patio for lunch - probably.

Don't waste your money on their so called 'fine dining'. Denny's is about the equivalent.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh
“Why Is The Service So Bad?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

O.K. So we returned once again because we enjoy the grouper sandwich. But once again, the service was lacking. We had a surly waitress who gave us small glasses of water and couldn't seem to be bothered with refilling them. It's just common sense to serve water in large glasses so you don't have to refill them. For those who had sodas, the mix was not right - too much soda, not enough syrup. I guess it was a way to pinch pennies.

Still, we love the location and the grouper.....

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best French toast in town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Hurricane needs a little tlc but their French toast is amazing! My daughter ate it everyday! Wonderful breakfast sandwiches and their prices will not break the bank!

Visited March 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Great sunset restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went here for a quiet and romantic sunset dinner. Located just across the street from a great beach, and the gulf, we got all we expected & more. We were seated on the porch facing the water, in a perfect seat for sunset. The service was excellent, and the crabcakes were good (great sauce), although a little greasy. My wife's fish was also good, but a little bland (could have used a little more seasoning). Desserts are excellent, and we were never rushed to turn the table on a busy night. Value was what you would expect for the location.

Another note, there is a bar on the ground floor, but the highlight is their roof-top bar, where you can see an unobstructed ocean view. We would go back, and maybe try something else.

One last note, if you don't want as heavy a dessert, walk one-half block south to a great ice cream shop.

• Visited March 2013