Wife and I booked a weekend getaway last minute so our options we limited as we travelled the weekend between Christmas and New Years. This was our 1st visit to St Pete Beach.
PROS: the location on beach is ideal, sand & water quality is very good (which I am critical go having lived on the beach for 10+ years), the area feels extremely safe.
We called the reservations line to understand the difference between Guy Harvey's and the sister property, Tradewinds. The representative was extremely helpful in our questions and recommended Guy Harvey as it was more 'adult/ less kids'. She recommended a Courtyard room w/balcony, which was a $45/per night additional as it was described with the best views next to the oceanfront rooms. We arrived around 1pm and they had our room ready, which felt good so we could get our bags up and relax.
The hotel is a refurbished hotel with Guy Harvey art/ accessories, newer baths and paint, and not sure what else. All the non oceanfront rooms face a courtyard with the only difference of rooms either facing the pool or rooms facing gardens. The 'balcony' upgrade was nothing more than a slider door with a gate to prevent a fall. When we walked to the beach, we grabbed a few towels but we're surprised to find all the towels were in a big pile next to the used ones. Only reason we knew they were clean was we had to use our room key to access them. It would seem that with a daily resort fee ($35), folded towels would not be hard to come by. When we return to our room, I noticed the noise that echoed outside of our door because we shared a common interior hall with an elevator. Between 4-5pm, I contacted the front desk to ask to change rooms but was advised no since the hotel was booked for the night and we could try the next day.
One thing to know with the location, there is a outdoor bar to the north of the property and people partied by the adult pool each night during our stay so you must anticipate noise until 11pm-12am. The bed and pillow quality was less than average which was frustrating considering the price of the hotel compared to others that were available and the 'upgrade' we paid for that was no where near an upgrade.
After you check in, be prepared to talk with a resort rep who will ask if you want to sit through a timeshare presentation. Stay away!
We intend to visit St Pete Beach again but staying at this property is not likely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, is located on the white sands of St. Pete Beach, voted the No. 1 beach destination in the USA. Enjoy fishing, diving and water sport adventures on the warm waters of Florida’s Gulf of Mexico. Located 30 minutes from Tampa International Airport, Guy Harvey Outpost offers casual dining and the popular Sand Bar, two swimming pools, whirlpool, hammocks along the beach and the Guy Harvey Outfitter Shop.Experience Florida fishing at its finest with inshore, offshore, fly and chartered deep sea fishing. Scuba dive to sunken ships or book a snorkeling trip. Take flight with JetLev, your personal water powered jet pack or ride WaveJet, an electric powered surfboard. Guy Harvey Outpost inspires endless family adventures where you can experience the life, science and love for the sea that is Guy Harvey. Children also have a place in the adventure at Guy Harvey Outpost with tailored activities just for kids; all you have to do is enjoy the journey. In addition to the great hotel amenities and services at Guy Harvey Outpost, you’ll have access to a wealth of facilities and programs at TradeWinds Island Grand, just down the beach. There you can enjoy more casual dining, fine dining and beach bars and then retreat back to the intimacy of the Outpost. You pack your things – we’ll pack your stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tradewinds Sandpiper Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Tradewinds Sandpiper Resort
- Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort Saint Pete Beach, Florida