“Every stay has been perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Go Get Out There! Package
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Every stay has been perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We were married on the shoreline of the water right in front of the Sandpiper on Valentines Day 2009. We have gone back since for a night here and there. We also spent our honeymoon there. They were one of the few hotels (unlike The San Pearl) that gave us permission to marry in front of their hotel. All though we were dressed up like a wedding..It was just a notary and us. We had a splendid honeymoon. The people that work there....every last one of them....is happy and treated us like family. The view from our ocean view suite was breathtaking. I`ve been going to Tradewinds visiting both properties, (with my ex-husband ) since my 21 year old twins were 3 years old. Last summer though, they would rent me a room for a one night stay, so I had to look else where....which was sad for me. This year their specials just aren`t inexpensive enough for a weekend get away....especially with the $25 add-on for parking and cabana rental. If you can stay here for you vacation and you will go away quite pleased. I`il post a pic. What a great wedding and honeymoon place! It was heaven! We did go back last September and had a beautiful weekend! Great value at the time. My fav thing this summer though...they have the Rays game playing and you can pay a small fee to park and use their facilities. The food at, " The flying Bridge" Island Grand and (our fav) the pipers cafe" at the Sandpiper....awesome food!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My wife and I got married here and we had a blast! Stayed here for 8 nights and we had an unbelievable time it was great! The food was good the service was top notch and the housekeeping was tremendous. I would advise anyone to stay here! The other tradewinds is just a short walk away and you can use it also although it is bigger the Sandpiper is a great place to kick back with family!

• Stayed June 2011
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband and I spent a long weekend at this resport and despite being a Paradise Club member, we were placed on the main level floor without a view adjacent to the adult only pool and hot tub which was a nightmare of noise throughout the night on all 3 nights of our stay despite calls to security to have the noise stopped.

Room Tip: Wish I knew the secret
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the tradewinds because of the reviews here on TA. They weren't wrong. We bought this stay as a package throught priceline. I read where there were an issue with early check in so I called and was told that it would not be an issue. And it wasn't. I upgraded my room in advance to a balcony room. But when the front desk learned that it was our anniversay they bumped us up to a gulf view suite - sweeeeeeet. They have a great system where you can charge food and drinks at the beach bar and restaurants on-site and at their sister resort ( a few steps away) to your room. easy peasy. There is also a 7-11 across the street for beer, milk, cereals and other such stuff. And take the trolley up to John's Pass. It's only $2 or 4.25 for all day riding. I'm not sure if we saved money by using the supe shuttle ($44 each plus tip $5each). I think the parking is a big part of the $25 per day resort fee. Notwithstanding, we realy enjoyed our anniversay and Trade winds made it great.

Room Tip: mention your special occasion.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Our Vacation was great. We were there for four days and enjoyed the location and hotel. The only complaint I have is the service of the hotel employees.

Room Tip: An ocean view is worth it but the service not.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My boyfriend and I antagonized over where to go for vacation this year. After dating for several years we finally had time together at the same time. I researched for nearly 5 months on this site and we finally settled upon the Sandpiper for a lot of reasons. Let me tell you: if you are 30+ and you just want to get away and kick back on the beach? This is the place!
One of the first things that caught my eye was the adult only pool. We both had wanted somewhere without a lot of children or teens. Neither of us have or want kids, so this was a huge selling point. There were a lot of mixed reviews on other features of the hotel: room size, resort noise, the pools, the beach, pretty much everything but I will try and recap everything I can.
We arrived Monday in the early evening. We were greeted by a very charming, funny young man that explained everything about the resort, most of which I knew because of all my research. He explained the resort fee and suggested we put the rest of the tab on a charge card vs. my debit card. I'll stop here: First - the "dreaded" resort fee- stop complaining people! It's $25 bucks for so many amenities, namely the towel and the cabanas. Other resorts can charge up to $45 a day for a cabana for a limited time, you get this every day! Simply go to the hut right on the beach, they have your last name, ask for it and the lovely people set it up for you. Do it! Our first two days we didn't.. the last three we were like man we were missing out! Credit card- do that too! Because you can just carry around your room key and all your meals you eat on the Sandpiper Resort as well as the bigger Island Grand resort get charged right to that - no need to carry/lose your wallet.
The first night we ate at Piper's Patio. Quick service -- we were the only ones in the restaurant! Good selection of food, good prices too.
The room: it was comfortably sized. Yes, it was small, but we didn't spend that much time in the room. It was also very clean, well decorated and I didn't have the complaints many people had. We were upgraded to a suite with a view of the Gulf, which was great. It appears that we were upgraded to the dreaded "noisy" room. It is the side that faces Jimmy B's, a resort a few resorts down. You could hear some music, but I'll be honest at night I didn't hear it at all. A lot of people have complained about blaring music till 2am. No clue where that was! That is actually one of the complaints my boyfriend and I had: one night we wanted to let loose and have a few drinks. They told us about the Coconuts Comedy club at the Sandpiper and we decided to check that out. Too bad it was moved that day down to a neighboring resort at a bar called Players and was $15 a person, which we didn't know. Turns out we got $5 off if we checked at the desk, but no one told us that. We went, and it was pretty funny. The Player's staff was great though - I got a drink I totally hated and the waitress saw, and she suggested something that was delicious, took back my drink and didn't charge us for it. It was over by 11:30 so we decided to check out the night scene. Turns out - there isn't one. Both resorts were dead by 11:30, and even Beef O'Brady in the Island Grand which should have been open till 2 am was closing. It was sort of annoying and that was the only time we realized how family oriented Tradewinds is. Not a bad thing if you want to bring your kids, though. The Island Grand definitely had more kids than the Sandpiper, which worked for us. The beach was gorgeous, the water was warm. If you are looking for shells, though, do the Shell boat tour. I searched for the 5 days we were there, and found little to nothing. The adult pool: HEAVEN. It was so quiet. Until... three times there were parents who apparently decided that 21+ and over doesn't apply to their teenagers. We had kids in there practicing their swimming techniques they learned at swim lessons. We got so fed up with being splashed and the rude attitude from the parents we left. That's something that really needs to be watched since that was a huge selling point for us.
One of the nicest things about this resort is how clean it is. Our room was always spotless and there were constantly very courteous staff cleaning the grounds. They weren't intrusive, but it was nice to see someone actually taking the time to scrub and rinse the deck chairs by the pool - it was that little bit of extra effort that made me appreciate the resort so much more.
The staff was very friendly on both resorts, always offering a hello or a smile. All in all - it was a great trip. I am so glad that we went to the Sandpiper.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We have been staying at the Sandpiper for many many years. Staff is amazing, accomodation is perfect (we stay in the Gulf Front Suites). Our room has 2 beds, safe, and lots of closet space plus a tv. Bathroom has shower and tub - and towels and shower supplies are also replaced daily when cleaning staff freshen our room. We really like to wake up to the newspaper at our front door. Kitchen is equipped with fridge, burners, microwave and table and chairs. Separate living room has pull out couch and tv also. We often eat at Piper's Patio - casual - located around the pool overlooking the ocean. We use both the Adults Pool & Hot Tub (private and quiet) and Family Pool if we have our children staying with us. You don't have to bring any beach towels as they are provided daily. The computers in the main lobby are very helpful to send off a quick email to friends and relatives. The beach is absolutely lovely and you can walk a long way or stop to pick up shells. We also love the fact that we can use all the ammenites of the Tradewinds Island Grand (just over a couple of buildings) - and we often go over to one of their restaurants for a meal. We visit every year and have done so for many many years as a couple and also with our family. Skidders is a great family restaurant will full breakfast, lunch and dinner choices and is across the road and we often go there for a meal. On our last visit to the Sandpiper the front desk was very helpful in booking our Rays baseball games and also our Tampa Bay Lightening hockey tickets. There is also alot of return guests which we see every year as we usually book the Sandpiper for the same time period in May every year. Wish we were there now - we absolutely love it - its our home away from home and we can wait to return!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort? Share your experiences!