“Chill Goes Downhill” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Steam and Chill Food Haven and Lounge

Steam and Chill Food Haven and Lounge
7410 Gulf Blvd, St. Pete Beach, FL 33706-1819 (Formerly Chill Restaurant & Lounge )
Website
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Chill Goes Downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

When this place opened last year it was very good. The owner was usually present along. With her daughter all the time. Since then it has changed significantly. The food is not consistent, the service is iffy and the place seems dirty. The prices are really high $15 per person for lunch and an iced tea. Our crepes were cold! The waiter was awful, very snotty.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Jackson, NJ
“Great Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I ate at Chill in St. Pete Beach tonight. It was our second visit to this restaurant. Chill is a tapas restaurant and the food is amazing. The first time we ate at Chill we had the Baked Brie with Shallots, Spinach, Bacon and Mushrooms, the Patatas Santo (roasted potatoes), Stacked beets with goat cheese, and escargot (actually I ate all the escargot). All four plates were to die for. The white sangria with peach schnappes is delicious; fruity and light. For dessert we tried their bananas foster (soooo delicious). Tonight we shared the stuffed olives, stuffed with asiago cheese, tapenade and fresh herbs, which are flambeed and served hot -- mouth watering. Then we have the sauteed mushrooms with my cranberry orange breast of duck and Ron's Steak and Potatoes, which is filet mignon cut into careful medallions, finished with perfect demi reduction and roasted potatoes. For dessert I had the flourless chocolate cake, which was so moist and light that I could have not two of them. Anyone traveling to the St. Pete Beach area should definitely eat at Chill. It's an experience worth parttaking.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dacula, Georgia
“Twice in one week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Since I'm a vegetarian and my husband is the exact opposite, it can be difficult for us to find places we both like when we're on vacation However, my "meat and potatoes" husband loved this place as much as I did. Exquisite salads and tapas. I was stuffed both times we ate here. Great atmosphere and service as well.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“They stole my cat's food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have to chime in here as there is no way this restaurant should be anywhere in the top 10 on Trip Advisor. I have been there two times and both times, the food was a real disappointment with prices that are out of whack for the portions and quality of food.

A month ago, I joined some girlfriends who wanted to try Chill out. They had been to Steam and loved it. I thought, “what the heck, maybe I ordered the wrong things the first time.” Not so, this time’s food made the last visit look like a 4-star meal. It was awful.

I arrived a bit later than my friends and waited about 10 minutes for someone to come and take my drink order (mind you, it was not busy at all). They seemed to have a menu shortage as we only had one menu to pass around for our table of four and when we asked for more, it took another 10 minutes to produce them.

Our server was pleasant but knew little about the menu and was obviously not a seasoned veteran of the industry.

On to the food: We started with the patatas santos and stuffed olives. Both of these were pretty basic but decent. From there, we had the Hoola Coola chicken (again flavorful, though overpowered by the fruit), bruschetta and escargot. The bruschetta was horrible – on stale toast that crumbled all over the place and drenched with a sweet balsamic syrup – some of the worst I have ever tasted. The escargot came to us hot and bubbly but the snails were overwhelmed by the blue cheese and garlic butter.

However, all of these mis-steps were dwarfed in comparison to the Voodoo Chicken. We had all been looking forward to this dish that was touted as “a lotta delicious”…When it came out, I could have sworn that they had stolen my cats dinner. It was a repulsive concoction that tasted like they had opened a can of 9 Lives chicken in gravy and drowned it in hoisin sauce and placed it on 4 large spoons (at least that part of the description was accurate). To make it even grosser, it was stone cold – which our server told us is how it is always served, though nowhere on the menu does it say this.

To be fair, we were offered another item or dessert and the mess was removed from our check, but at this point we’d lost our appetite for Chill.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ruthie B, Owner at Steam and Chill Food Haven and Lounge, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I just wanted to say how sorry I am, as the owner, that you had this awful experience. The dishes you describe were from a menu and a chef that is no longer with us. Back in late October through late December we had some real struggles as our head chef left abruptly. It was a very painful time for our staff and our customers as well. We were able to successfully recruit our acclaimed Chef Jerry back from Chicago & he is outstanding. We have also hired and developed two new Sous Chefs who are equally amazing. Our food is better than ever, I promise! I hope you have the chance to come again and will give us a second (or third) chance. I would really like to apologize to you in person. I assure you we all work so hard... never with the hopes of disappointing anyone. It's just devestating to find that we failed. Many apologies!
Ruthie
“Nice but expensive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

The food is very good but very small portions so you need to order five or six for a couple which becomes a very expensive meal. Nice atmosphere and service. Great music on weekends.