“Cute little motel!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
tampa
“Cute little motel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I just returned from the Plaza Beach Resort and found it to be a great little place. Although pretty basic, the rooms have a full kitchen, making it great for longer stays. You can tell they really do care about the place and keep it up very well. Great for families, not that great for couples.

My only complaint was the shower (room 206). It didn't full open into shower mode and the water was shooting into my leg the entire shower. Unpleasant. They should also invest in a new internet router, too. We got free internet but had a hard time connecting and staying connected.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Plaza Beach Hotel, guest opinions and suggestion are very important to me to help improve our resorts. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our facility. I appreciate that you mentioned that “you can tell they really do care about the place”, because we really do. I apologize that you had trouble with the shower in shower mode; our maintenance team has already fixed the issue. And I just e-mailed our Internet Provider to come out and recheck the signal strength around the hotel. Everyone should have excellent signal strength because that’s what’s in our contract. Thank you for bring those items to my attention, and I look forward to see you back again soon.

Also for our future guest reading this review, please, please, please always let the front office know if you are having any issues with your room, usually most issues can be fixed within a few minutes.

Family Owned and Operated since 1988

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place is family oriented so if you're looking for a party, look somewhere else. That comment is a positive one. No bars, no restaurants but they do have washers and dryers, kitchens in the rooms and a wonderful pool and beach. You are on a street that has anything else you may want or need from groceries across the street to any restaurant or fast food place. We loved this place and considering we only live twenty minutes away, we will be back for our get aways.

Room Tip: Try and get the end rooms, there are two on the main floor and two on the second. All have balconie...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thank you VERY much for your great review. You are absolutely right. We are Family Owned and Operated, here to host other families for a memorable beach getaway. All of our rooms are spacious, most of them can sleep up to 6 people, and the rooms are Suites with full kitchens. As you mentioned, everything is in walking distance, Publix grocery store, CVS, Walgreen and lots of Restaurants.

Thank you again for your review. I am so happy that you discovered the Plaza Beach Hotel-Beachfront Resort - St Pete Beach and I look forward to seeing you more this summer.

Family Owned and Operated Since 1988
Traditions Start Here
Moorestown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was my first visit to St. Pete Beach. While it won't be my last, it will be my last visit to Plaza Beach.

I want to start my review by saying that I do not enjoy giving less than good reviews. My wife and I were in town for a visit and stayed for a few nights. Since the place was packed, we took the room that what we were assigned.

Our room had a small kitchen area with sink and two element stove top. The stove top, which was made of a glass product, had been broken on one corner and a substantial piece was missing. Rather than replace the stove top, it had been "repaired" with some sort of black epoxy/putty that was lumpy, sticky and soft. A sign of things to come.

The room had two double beds. The matresses were well used and had lost their firmness. They squeaked when you turned over on them. They were not conducive to a good night's sleep.

The room did have a flat screen TV which hung just outside the entrance to the bathroom/closet area. As you exited that area, you had to be careful or you would smack your head on the TV, which protruded about 6 inches from the wall.

I am fairly certain that the other guests were quiet, but cannot be sure, since our air conditioning unit's compressor was so loud, it could wake the dead. Noisey, and vibrating all night long.

The bathroom was very small with no windows for ventilation. The caulking around the tub was coming out and the hinge on the door was rusting since it was touching the tub. Counterspace in the bathroom? I don't think so. Now, if I ran this place, I'd sit on the toilet and look around at the floor, tub, walls, just to see what's going on. Then I'd fix it.

This was a small room....with a large price tag.

Back to the kitchen. I wanted to slice a piece of cheese. I took a knife out of the drawer only to notice that it was covered with food. The dish cloth and towel provided appeared to be ancient.

OK, this is the beach. You are not in your room all that much. There was a pool. It was packed with humanity. I mean really full of people. So I went to the beach. Nice beach, but when you return, you have to wash the sand off your feet. I waited patiently for the foot wash area to be available while a bevy of guests stepped around me for a rinse as I waited.

As for room service. None on Sunday. To see if the floors are clean, try walking in white socks. Mine turned dark grey. And of course there is the dirty utensil.

Now don't get me wrong. There were alot of people who all appeared to be having a great time. I'm guessing they loved this place. It's just not for me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. I want to apologize that our resort did not meet your expectations; we are family owned and really work hard to meet and exceed all guest expectations. Many of your comments could have been addressed and fixed on the spot, if you would have told someone that you were not enjoying your stay or had some issues with your room. I was on property all four days of Memorial Day weekend and did not hear anything. Nothing burns me up more inside than a guest not enjoying their stay and not telling anyone on property, then going home and writing about it. Really? Tell someone, we are not mind readers.

Allow me to address some of your issues:

The Glass Stove top had a repair done to it with an epoxy. Yes, that is true, would you have rather seen the glass corner broken with a jag-it piece of glass sticking out of it that would cut your hand? So it was repaired while we wait for the replacement special heat glass needed. Did the stove work? Yes, it did.

Mattress comfort and squeaked: Mattress comfort is hard to judge, everyone likes a different feel, some people like firm other like soft. Not much we could have done here, but we would have offered you another room to try. Squeaking frame is easily fixed with W-D40, again had we known.

Huge flat screen TV: Yes it is huge TV, actually one of the biggest on the beach. We could have put a smaller TV in the room; it actually would have been cheaper, but decided to go with a more expensive bigger TV for everyone’s enjoyment. Yes, the TV is bigger than the wall behind it, but there are only so many places you can put a TV that big. You just have to watch where you’re going.

A/C was loud: All the A/C units are new, if you had a loud one, we could have easily replaced it with another one, had we known.

Bathroom small with no ventilation, rust on door hinges: The bathrooms are smaller than other hotels, our hotel is one of the original hotels on St Pete Beach, built in 1951 bathrooms were smaller back then. Our most recent renovation was 2011, all the rooms and bathrooms were redone. The bathrooms do have ventilation through the ceiling light which has a hidden vent fan (very expensive) most people would not even know it’s there. As I mentioned all our bathrooms are brand new with new tile work, new lighting, cosmetic mirror, hairdryer, glass shelving, night-light, there is also a bathtub with shower, toilet and sink, everything you need. If there was some rust on the door hinge, I apologize about that but we do live in Florida with salt in our air. Although the door hinge may have had some rust on it, did it open and close properly? I’m sure it did.

Pool was packed with humanity: It was Memorial Day Weekend, which is one of the busiest Holidays in the USA !!! What would you expect? Our pool is one of the largest pools on St Pete Beach for the amount of rooms we have, unfortunately during very busy time the pool gets very busy too.

No Housekeeping on Sundays: That is correct, we do not do service the rooms on Sundays. If you need fresh towels or anything at all, it’s all available at the front office. In the same philosophy as the large franchise company Chick-Fil-A, Sunday should be a day of rest. We also believe that employees should have an opportunity to rest, spend time with family and friends, and worship if they choose to do so. Because we are a hotel, we cannot close entirely like a restaurant, but we do try to give as many employees the days of as we can.

So as you mentioned, the hotel is not for everyone and I apologize that you had a bad experience. As I mentioned most of it could have been taken care of had it been brought to our attention. However, I hope you can see, by the length of this reply, that we do take all comments seriously and do our best to please everyone. We do care about are guest and our employees and we hope that this is evident.

General Manager / Owner
“Family Owned with Pride since 1988”
Clemmons, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I chose the Plaza Beach Hotel over all other lodging in the St. Pete Beach area almost specifically because of the reviews of the hotel on Tripadviser and after spending four nights there (May 19th through 23rd) we can honestly say, the positive reviews are dead on. For an older hotel, the rooms have been upgraded beautifully and as a tile installer for 25 years, I was amazed at the quality tile installation on the floors and in the bathrooms. You don't find old-school mud-work much anymore, as appears to be the case with the tiled showers. Very impressive!
The grounds are gorgeous and kept virtually spotless and as stated in previous reviews, the staff could not be friendlier or more professional. Our friends who traveled from NC with us and who were not able to get a room at the hotel, stayed instead at the Bay Palms across the street (same owners) and they too were extremely pleased.
Obviously, not everything is black and white and no person or place is perfect but after spending four nights at the Plaza Beach, it seems to me and my wife that those who post bad reviews are that small segment of our society who go through life finding fault with everything and simply cannot be pleased. Our advice, ignore the bad reviews and see for yourself, unless of course, you require a mega-sized, over-priced resort.
We will be back to the Plaza Beach possibly later this summer and greatly look forward to another enjoyable stay. Thanks!!

Cleveland, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

This is NOT a 3 star hotel! It's 2 star motel at best. My room was not clean. The bathrooms are tiny bad the beds are uncomfortable. You have to put a $10 cash deposit for an extra key. The only good thing is the beach access. I was fooled by all of the great reviews!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank for taking the time to post your review 1 year after you stayed here. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations; over 400 other travelers would disagree. Yes, we do charge a $10.00 cash deposit for extra keys. We do this as a safety procedure to make sure we get all the keys back for the room. Guest safely is very important to us.
We’re always improving and upgrading, since it was over a year ago that you were here, a lot has changed. I invite you to come back and revisit.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is the second year that my husband and I have stayed at the Plaza Beach Resort on St Pete Beach and I plan on returning for years to come! Awesome stay! The rooms are just like a home away from home with the necessities needed including a small kitchen with a full refrigerator, stove top, kitchen utensils for cooking which is a great way to save money on drinks and dining by making and preparing your own because there’s a grocery store and liquor store right across the street along with a few gifts shops. Its family owned, well maintained, nice pool and it’s right on the beach!! There are couples and families of all ages; my husband and I are in our mid to late 30’s and always feel very comfortable here. We’re very pleased and recommend Plaza Beach Resorts!

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

For the 2nd year in a row, we traveled to St Pete Beach and stayed at the Plaza Beach Hotel. We love it there! The rooms are clean, they have best pool and outdoor area and some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. Great beach too! It's a small hotel and the treat their guests like family.

Room Tip: I like the 2nd floor on the "garden" side of the hotel, not the parking lot side. A littl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!