I went to the hotel for a 40th birthday weekend getaway with my best friend as a present from my husband.
Until my last day, I would have given the hotel a 3 rating.
The pros were the restaurants, the views and the location. The cons were that our balcony, because it was next to the elevator, was very small. Rooms on either side of the outside elevator have 1/2 the balcony. Also, the room overall was sticky: walls, doors... I felt like I needed to take a Lysol wipe to all surfaces. We were down the hall from the main elevator but could still hear people getting on and off in the middle of the night. Also, I would not recommend a wedding at this location. The bride has to walk through the pool area, which is loaded with wet swimmers. on one occasion drunk people on a balcony were yelling back and forth with two women on the pool area in the middle of the bride's procession across it.
The reason I downgraded to 1: on the last day of my stay I was stung by a stingray at the beach behind the hotel. My friend rushed ahead to get help as I wrapped towel and hobbled up to the hotel. She came back and said she was given a band-aid. By this time, I had bled through the towels and could not cross the pool area without making a mess. I asked her to go back for help, and this time she came back with a phone number to a clinic that was closed until the next day. The staff would not help further. If you are not aware, stingray stings have a venom which is very painful.
We went to the Emergency room and when we returned I expressed my disappointment in the lack of assistance. The manager apologized and said she had thought it wasn't an emergency and that I was in my room (it didn't make sense). I also mentioned the blood on the pool area. She said it would be cleaned, but we went to the pool three hours later and the blood was still there.
I called the hotel and spoke to another manager upon my return home. He basically said because it did not happen on the hotel property (their beach is not their property), then they are not responsible and should not have done anything. I tried to explain that it is about being hospitable and caring for your guests, not about who's resonsible. He said he would follow up and call back, but implied that I was just looking for a way to make money off of them (after spending over $700 in a weekend at their resort, and who knows how much in medical bills...I am an unsuccessful con artist). He never called back.
I have time to write this review because the sting became infected and I am restricted to my bed for the week with my foot elevated. These stings are very painful and potentially dangerous. I am from the Midwest and did not know the first thing about stingrays. My expectations of a hotel are to care for their injured guest, using their local knowledge and making them feel safe away from home.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel And Conference Center
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Hotel
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center Saint Pete Beach, Florida
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel is located directly on the beach and Gulf of Mexico. The Resort features a wide selection of luxurious guestrooms with furnished private balconies and all the best full service resort amenities for the leisure or business travelers. No hidden resort fees. At NO further charge you get FREE use of Fitness Center, FREE Unlimited Wireless Internet Access with your own computer, FREE Electronic Safe in your room, FREE Parking, FREE Coffee & Tea 24 Hours a Day, FREE Local Phone Calls. Featuring 3 Restaurants - Spinners Rooftop Revolving Bistro & Lounge, Bongos Beach Bar & Grill, and the Palm Room Restaurant. 2 Lounges, Heated Swimming Pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Splendia, Booking.com, Amex, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Olotels, getaroom.com, HostelBookers, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.