“YOU WILL BE SORRY!” 1 of 5 stars

8301 Blind Pass Road, Saint Pete Beach, FL 33706   |
Knoxville, Tennessee
“YOU WILL BE SORRY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

The worst experience of our lives.
The room was dirty and the air conditioner howled like a banshee.
We were denied the refund of our remaining deposit past the first night, but were glad to get out - just to be far away from this cesspool.

Room Tip: Stay far far away from this dump.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My friends and I stayed the night in St. Pete last minute and could not find any vacancies that were affordable in the area. When we came across Sun Island, we thought we found a good deal, it being fairly cheap. We were sadly mistaken. Upon walking into the disgusting room, I noticed that the very old couch was covered, and I mean COVERED in dog (or some other animal) hair. Later on we noticed that the sheets on the bed were the same way, as well as the pillows, layered with hair. The second bed was a fold out sofa. The dog hair infested sofa. We had no sheets, so a man gave us two mismatched sheets with cigarette burn holes. Neither of them a fitted sheet. There were no towels in our room, no toilet paper, and we didn't even expect to find shampoo or soap. The same man who gave us the holy sheets gave us some towels, which I NEVER intended on using. The towels had hair in them. This hair was human hair, not dog hair. The shower curtain did not have a little mildew on it, but was covered. There was a roach trap in the corner. The pool was green. All furniture was covered in animal hair. The fold out mattress was stained. I don't mind quirky, cutely mismatched mom-and-pop type places, and at first I thought this may be that kind of place. It was not. This place was seriously filthy. I was honestly terrified to sleep here or touch anything in the place. If I could give less than one star I would because this place isn't clean. I actually have no idea how the motel can legally rent out rooms, I would have thought the health department should shut them down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Englewood, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I had to stay at this motel because of the snowbird season and all the decent motels were full. I do have to say that the owner (Tang), a chinese woman who doesn't speak much english, was as helpful and accomodating as she could have been. We got the last room available but it was just a motel room when she had indicated it was an efficiency. We only stayed in that room for a week and Tang had moved us to an efficiency that became open because we kept blowing circuits from our coffee pot we brought in. The motel rooms had no amenities whatsoever and were very old. The windows didn't open and the furniture was rickety. Our feet got black also from the outdoor carpet inside the rooms and the bed was uncomfortable and hard as a rock. We stayed altogether about a month and during that time we witnessed domestic disputes in 2 separate rooms where the police came and took someone away. We were shocked to see the man return 2 days later and continued to live there, so money was more important to the owner than her other customers who witnessed with much embarassment many domestic violence episodes. Her manager, Greg, is disrespectful and argued with her all of the time, which made lounging by the pool very uncomfortable. I would not recommend this motel for outoftowners. It reaks of a lower class of people(undesirables) that live there locally and that you do not want to be around. It is definately not for children and not family-friendly. If you use drugs and fight alot with your mate, then this is the place for you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Don't stay here! I had reservations for several months secured with a credit card. Our plane landed at 5:50 pm, which the owner of the motel was well aware of since we had corresponded several times prior to our trip. Owner knew we weren't supposed to check in until 6-7 pm that night. We had a taxi drop us off at the motel & when I told the owner who I was & that I had a reservation, she said she had given our room away to someone else because we were supposed to be there at 3 pm. She (the owner) made no attempt to rectify the situation. She didn't try to find us another room, call around, etc. We had no car (hadn't gotten the rental car yet) & she told us that there was another motel down the street that might have a vacancy. All she kept saying was "I sorry, I sorry, I sorry". We therefore had to walk down the street carrying our luggage. Luckily we did find another room a few blocks away, however, had to pay $30 more per night. I'm glad now that we didn't stay there & I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Winter Park
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

It is so pathetic it's as if the owner is trying to create a bad experience for you. Everything is old and dirty at this place. The screens on the windows don't even close. Every room smells like 10 people were chain smoking in it for 10 years.

No Wifi, towels look like they were bought when Carter was still president. The pool water is green. The paint on the walls and ceilings is peeling, the carpets look and smell like people have been stomping cigarettes out in them for 20 years.

I never realized how important it is to pay extra money just to save my dignity. It took me a couple days just to recover from staying here. The f__king worst.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

The police are constantly there because of drug dealers and fighting. Rooms are small and dirty and everything smells like cigarette smoke. Bathroom is yucky and mouldy. Never once were we brought clean towels or linens. Road noise was so loud you could not sleep. Pool did not have circulating water running through it and was all full of algae. People coming to your door looking for smokes and money . No phones in rooms. The place is a dump.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Island Motel & Apartments? Share your experiences!