“Palmetto bug is a giant cockroach!” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$479 All Inclusive
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Illinois
“Palmetto bug is a giant cockroach!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Our vacation started out fine check in was easy had reservations for beach front room. steps to the beach, nice pools, very clean grounds. But after being in our room 2 days my husband yelled cockroach and pointed to the nightstand between the beds! There it was and it was huge! I went after it but is ran under the bed. I called the front desk and they said they would sent someone with spray. So here's me on one side of the bed and my husband on the other watching for this nasty thing in case it comes out. My patience grew slim and I marched to the front desk and asked for a different room. no problem there. In our new room we had been to the beach and I had just taken a shower and was in my towel when our room door opened no knock or anything and a male hotel worker stepped in and then out quickly! my husband went out the door after him! He thought the room was empty. I went to front desk and reported it to them they apologised and offered us breakfast, I wasn't hungry. I Learned a lesson ....PUT THE SAFTEY LATCH ON THE DOOR!! Oh and by they way they tried to tell me it was a palmetto bug not a cockroach I lived in Florida THEY ARE GIANT COCKROACHES!!!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
kdfclewis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The view from the hotel room was wonderful but if you expect service of any kind you might want to visit another hotel.

I had a printed confirmation that stated check in was 3pm, so when we arrived at 3pm and I handed my confirmation to the attendant (she was the concierge that came over to help the other attendant that day when we walked in) which she promptly returned to me without looking at it, asking me my name and stating while smiling that checkin was not until 4pm, that our room was not ready and that they would call us when it was. She went ahead and had us fill out the paper work to check in, of which I asked questions about the charge for parking which I was not aware of, to which she replied, smiling but not very pleasantly, that it was on there website, but there was no mention of the parking fees on my confirmation that I had or any emails that I received. We had been on the road traveling for 2 days by this time so we where very tired. Even so we walked over to the beach and hung out but by 4pm we had not received a call yet. When we went back to the counter we talked with I believe it was Penny, who was very pleasant and explained to her that we had already been by and that we where supposed to get a call when our room was ready, but had not yet and that we had been on the road for 2 days and that I was getting a little frustrated at this point. She said that our room still was not ready but she moved us to another room and removed the parking fees for our visit due to the issues with checkin.

Once we got into our room the view from our room was great and the beach was wonderful. The 1st day we where there we went to the beach came back to our room around noon for lunch to our room still in disarray. We went back to the beach after we ate lunch and came back around 4pm and there had still been no room service. We got read to go out to dinner and stopped by the front office, where I was told that they where short handed in room service that day but that they would have it taken care of. I told them that we would be gone for a few hours for dinner so there was not hurry but when we returned the only thing that was done was a pile of towels where left on the bed closest to the door. Considering how much we spent to stay in the hotel I consider it disrespectful that we did not have full room service during our full visit at your hotel. I did not realized how badly we where treated until we moved onto Orlando after our stay at Sirata and stayed at another resort(The Liki Tiki Villeage resort) there where they let us check in early by several hours and everyone that we saw or talked to from the resort was very nice and made sure that we knew that we could call “0” if we needed anything at all. Not once was I told this or even asked if everything was ok at the Sirata.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My sister and I went away for a sister vacation and we couldnt have picked a better spot. Neither of us have ever been St. Pete or to that area for that matter and I came across this resort online. All that we both really wanted was a beachfront room. We arrived at the resort at 10 am and check-in wasnt until 4- we asked if we could leave our bags with conceirge which they allowed and within 30 mins our room was cleaned and ready for us so we were able to check in at 10:30 am.

We had a beachfront room in building 2 on the top floor (3rd floor). Great location, room was clean- 2 queen beds. The only negative thing I can say about the room is that the bathroom was small. The sink for the bathroom is on the outside of the bathroom and it's literally as soon as you walk into the room there's the sink.

The beach service kiosks were great- we had taken our own beach towels, but you are able to pick up towels every day and return by the evening free of charge. We didnt go to the pools at all. There were alot of families and smaller children in the pool area and we prefer to be on the beach anyway.

The beach bars were exactly what we expected. Food wasnt bad and the drinks were great and the price was within reason. We ate lunch every day at Rum Runners and had room service for breakfast one morning which I would definitely recommend. We ate at the Compasse Grill one night for dinner- on Thursday (2 for 1 margarita's!) and the food was tremendous! For our other meals there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance (since we didnt have a car) or we even took the beach trolley ($1.75 each way) to restaurants a little further away. The 2 beach bars closed between 9-10 pm during the week but it would've been nice to have that open a little longer.

The beach trolley would take you anywhere from Pass-A-Grille all the way up to Clearwater. The trolley ride to Clearwater took about 50 mins. The only thing we didnt like too much about the trolley was that on the way back to St. Pete the driver must stop at the 75th ave stop and it has to sit there for at least 15 mins- that was a downside of it. Other than that- it was easy on and off and the trolley stop was right at the Sirata.

The beach area was very clean and well kept. There were alot of people at the resort- couples, families, older people, college students, but even with alot of people around we still felt like it wasnt overly crowded and it wasnt loud at all in the evenings. The beach is large enough and where the cabanas are located back a litlte bit further on the there werent many children playing in that area.

They have a convenience store at the resort which had everything from sun tan lotion to beer and wine. Prices were a bit high there though so for our beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) we went right across the street and got what we needed.

I used the fitness center twice while we were there. All I wanted to use was the treadmills which they had 3 and both times I went in the early morning and had no problem getting on one right away. They had a few bikes and total body machines and sweat towels available for you.

Overall you can tell by my lengthy review that we truly had a great time. It was 92 every day, blue sky and sun- no rain so that made it even better!! We were very pleased with everything and would defintiely return!!

• Stayed July 2009
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I must say this was a COMPLETE RIP OFF...gross, run down, and like I said before I felt like I was in a run down motel. The pictures online make this place look decent...NO WAY! Our beach view roon was a view of the nasty roof. Not to mention that when we got there they told us our room was damanged so we couldn't stay in it...just for the guy at the desk to finally break down and tell us, ok so we over booked and your room isn't ready. If I would have gone in a room before they told me that I would have told them to give me my money back. Let's put it this way, I wore my flip flops to walk around the room and to take a shower..GROSS!!!!!! No need to say anything more!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Elgin, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Very nice place..for families! at least over the summer. With 3 pools they were filled with kids (loud) I would stay here again if I can travel during times when the kids are in school. The 2 out door bars were very nice but closed at 9pm It was beautiful weather and it would have been nice to have a drink in the quiet of the evening. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, our studio room was roomy but the water pressure in the shower was bad! and the bed was blocking the entrance to the bathroom.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We asked for a Gulfview room and got a room that only had a view of the roof and if you got on tippy toes your might see the beach. Moved to another room 2 doors down and at least got a palm tree!
We stayed at the Sirata because we heard the fireworks were phenominal for the 4th. We don't consider phenominal as having to strain to see the fireworks about 10 miles up the beach or the really cheesy 5 minute show out in the water. We stayed at the Tradewinds for several years and the fireworks really were phenominal.
Our reunion will be someplace else next year (that's usually 10+ rooms) and that is mainly due to the manager at check-in and his inability to help satisfy a customer!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

This was our second stay at The Sirata. The Sirata is a large complex consisting of several buildings one of which is the convention center & rooms (high rise, 8 stories), and the others are lower rise (2/3 story ,motel type). The rooms in the convention area are hotel style, requiring inside access. Both of our stays were rooms in this building, and they were suites. There are many room types, which can get a bit confusing when you are booking. The website offers many different specials, but both times I got a slightly better rate by calling directly.
The rooms were both clean and spacious, with balconies. the gulf view suite provided an excellent view of the beach. They both had outer vanitiy areas, which came in handy when getting ready. Housekeeping was great, they had the rooms done early each day.
Front desk help was nice enough, but not overly helpful. There is an $8 fee for parking daily (grrr!) & you can rent a cabana on the beach (highly recommended) for $15 a day. They offer a deal for $15 daily , which would include your parking, cabana & use of business center PC. It is called the Super Saver. There is a small sign on the counter indicating the details, but neither time was it mentioned to me upon check in, I had to ask.
The food at the beach bars are identical & just OK. It was more about convenience, it was nice to not have to leave the resort to grab some lunch or a snack.
Take the time to explore the grounds, near the beach they have a lot of great outside areas to hang out. Hammocks, chairs on the beach area in front of Rum Runners bar & many picnic & round tables on or near the beach.
The pools are all nice, there are 3, they can get crowded, but you can usually still grab a chair or two.
Overall, a nice experience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sirata Beach Resort? Share your experiences!