“Pleasantly Pleased with Serata Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Sirata Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5300 Gulf Boulevard, Saint Pete Beach, FL 33706   |
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Saint Pete Beach
Galway, Ireland
“Pleasantly Pleased with Serata Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

Spent 2 weeks in Serata Beach Resort from 9th - 23rd May. Had read some bad reports and was a bit apprehensive going there. The first room we were given was facing on to a common balcony which meant that there were people walking past your window and therefore you had to keep the curtains closed - also you could not leave the window open at night - the air conditioning was a bit noisy. We asked for a change of room and were given an upgrade to a second floor room witt private balcony, overlooking the beach - just fabulous. The Mangrove and Durangos were both very nice to eat in without leaving the complex. We found the staff very pleasant and very helpful. Would certainly consider staying there again.

Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

We booked a package through Song Airlines for three nights. Upon arrival we were told we were "upgraded" to a room with one double and a pullout sofa, even though we had reserved two doubles. After waiting two ours to get in the room because the door was broken, we found bedding situation and requested to be downgraded to the room that we had booked. No go. They said they were sold out. After many go rounds with very rude staff, they "found" another room. The room was totally musty and dank. We ended up staying next door at the Holiday Inn. They said they couldn't do anything about removing the charge for three nights because it was booked as a package.
This place was so bad we didn'tt care. We paid for both hotels. Do not stay here! They are very rude and uncaring.

NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2005

We just stayed at the Sirata.

The Staff

The front desk clerks were sub par and indifferent.
I had requested a king size bed and was only
given a roh room. The reservation was made
a month earlier. The staff at the desk didn't
seem to care one bit about not meeting
my reservation.

One night we popped in to ask the front desk clerk
about a game room and if there was a pool table
on the premises. She (desk clerk) quite snobly stated that
if I wanted to play pool, I would have to go down the
street. The next night ( last night ) low and behold I saw a pool
table there at the Hotel. She definitely reflected Sirata in my
opinion. I also asked this same person about the sign
outside the Hotel advertising great midweek rates.
I asked how much and she quipped back that I would
have to go to their website to find out, despite the
outside sign saying go in!

The persons at the gate ( gated entrance ) could have
been a little nicer, especially to people who are staying
at the Hotel. One night one guy just blasted through cursing
at the guy at the gate and kept going. Guess I
wasn't the only one getting the same treatment.
That guy must have been fed up and I was getting
fed up. One odd note was that the gates were
up and unguarded after 11pm at night.

The $8 a day parking fee.

This absolutely stinks. The Sirata should either jack
up their room rates by $8 bucks or wave it entirely.
I feel that it is a extra money maker for their
management and believe me thats one of the last
things I thought of when we left the hotel.
I think for the rates that they charge its quite
bad of them to charge you to park a car!

For the money they charge for a room, the treatment
given by the gate person and the front desk people, the
TV channels offered and the inaccurate Sirata TV GUIDE Channel,
the air conditioner that doesn't seem to cool, the worn out
mattresses I think I will try another Hotel next time. For the cost
of a room they offer only 50 channels with no Weather Channel. Oh its
listed as being there, but it wasn't there!

The front desk staff and gate keeper desparately need lessons
in being polite. They need lessons in what the Hotel offers.

Pools

The pools are nice, but I can see there being a problem
during peak times just to get a chair etc.

No glass containers at the pool.

I can understand the rule, but the bars ? served beer
in bottles and people were around the pool with beer bottles.
I also found plastic drink cups floating in the pool.

Pool hours were open until 10pm. People still there at
11pm. Thats ok by me.....

The outside premises.

Its very nice, well kept and clean. Staff are constantly
roaming the premises. I was never asked by any of
them if I was enjoying my stay and if there was
anything they could do for me.

The room

Despite requesting a king size bed a month
earlier and a non smoking room at that. I was
given a smoking room poolside. This was our forced choice
though as we didn't want to wait until the end of the
day to get our room. We ended up with two queens.
This was Sunday night in off season.

Our room had mattresses that were bowing, showing
signs of moderate to extreme wear states. I slept
ok, but my g/f woke up to neck and back pain
due to the state of the mattresses.
I was quite displeased with the mattresses. Great
pillows though. Frankly speaking I slept on better
mattresses in $40 a night motels.

The Air conditioner cuts off quite frequently. Its either
on a timer or thermostat. My guess is that its set at
78 degrees. The room never got "cold" and in fact
was quite warm at times. Not good.

Room was clean, clean carpet etc. However there were
marks and smears on the wallpaper in the bathroom.
No microwave offered in the room. The room did
have a nice telephone and alarm clock.

TV

Only 50 channels. One complaint I have is that on their local
( in house ) TV listing the Weather Channel channel
had another channel on it. Figuring they might have mixed
it up with the other channel, I checked the other channel,
no weather channel there. In fact there was no weather channel
at all on any of the channels they offered, even though
it was listed in their "in" house tv guide channel.
I really wanted to know what travel conditions I would be
encountering on my drive back home.

The TV locked up one day. The remote wouldn't turn on the
tv at all. After 30 minutes or so,I unplugged the TV and plugged
it in again and the remote worked ok. The TV was a Zenith with a
good picture tube.

Bottom Line

The Sirata is real nice from the outside. For the
most part I think this is what you are paying for.
The room was standard. The TV was below standard.
The air conditioner was below standard. The mattresses
were below standard. The staff was below standard and at
times quite rude.. The bellhop was above standard.

Management would have to convince me of a better
stay before I would return to the Sirata.

I will definitely spend the postage stamp to mail
in my customer satisfaction form to the Sirata...

luton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

There honestly was nothing to fault with this place. Myself and a friend stayed here for 2 weeks last summer and the staff were extremely helpful and polite the whole time! They even helped us out to stay extra nights when we were stranded cos of Hurricane Francis (which they didn't have to do, as it was nearly fully booked already) The hotel had 2 equally nice and relaxing pools to use - both with their own bars (glug, glug) The rooms themselves were more than spacious, with coffee facilities, comfy chairs, tv, nintendo) Bathroom was rather on the small side - but neither of us cared really. Porbably not such a great location if you're looking for loads of night life, as local places seem to close up at about 9pm.. Close to shops and places to have breakfast - we survived the whole 2 weeks without a car.

Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

we just returned may 22 from a 4 day stay at the Sirata. from the moment we walked in and until the last day the service and staff was exceptional. they do clean your room at a later hour than most would expect but no bother for us for we were within steps of the most beautiful beach in florida. we did have several meals at the Mangrove grill and was very good. the last evening of our stay we ate at Durango's, it was o.k. but overall the stay at the sirata was great, access to the beach and their pools was exceptional. the hotel is a little outdated in some areas, but was clean.
we also went on a evening sunset cruise from shellkey shuttle on the pass a grill. the best 15.00 dollars I had spent ever.

also, went to PJ's seafood and the meal was fabulous.
overall had at wonderful stay and plan on returning next year same time and same place.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Sirata with my husband,
(May 5-15). Overall I'd say the Sirata was just Ok. I'll give you a break down of each element.

The Sirata Building:
Pro's = From the road the Sirata looks very nice and large. Situated right on the beach, great location.
Con's = Once you drive in you can tell the Sirata needs a paint job. Check in lobby is small & not too pretty. Entrance to the 7 story building stinks. Old wood chairs make for a sore eye! Elevator makes an annoying beeping noise.

Parking:
Pro's = We had the parking charge included with our room price thanks to our travel agent, so we saved some money. The parking lot is quite large. No problem getting a parking spot during the week.
Con's = Even though the parking lot is large, it is very difficult to find a spot during the weekend - especially at night!

Cabanas:
Pro's = Nice double cabanas with umbrella for shade.
Con's = Pricey! Why would I pay $15/day for a cabana! Instead we went to Wallmart and bought our own beach lounges for $10 each!!! Also you cannot move the cabanas around, and you are a good distance away from the ocean.

The Beach:
Pro's = Beautiful, very large & long beach! Sand was white, water was clear & fresh, no sea weed. You can walk for miles. We even saw Dolphins!
Con's = I'm just getting really picky now- many little shells that hurt to walk on!

Pools:
Pro's = 3 pools, all very nice & clean. Plenty of loungers.
Con's = The beach towels they give you are small, thin & old. Water is chilly.

Price:
Pro's = We got an Awesome price at aprox. $90/night Canadian. This included tax & parking.
Con's = None for me, but I cant believe the pricing I am reading on some of these reviews!

Food:
I didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the hotel, but we did find this awesome restaurant a little drive away called "Salt Rock Grill", amazing seafood & steak!

Rooms:
Now this is the hard part! Let me give you a little history. Several months before our trip we e-mailed the Sirata asking for an ocean view room & if possible an upgrade to a suite. A week before our trip we sent another e-mail reiterating our request. When we arrived we were given a standard room on the 6th floor with a view not of the ocean, but of the construction of two new buildings. Not a big deal seeing as how little time we would be in the room. But when we entered the room, we were not impressed. The room had a musty smell, furniture is very dated & washroom is small. The rooms look like a Motel more than a Hotel. However, the room was pretty clean, the bed was comfy & we had a fridge to keep my water cold. Four days later, after making a STRONG request for an upgrade, we did get an ocean view room on the 7th floor. This side of the building was a little nicer. Even the room was a little better. At night we would drag our chairs out into the hallway in front of our room & listen to the ocean - that was nice! - Just wish we had a private balcony!
Pro's = Comfy bed, big fridge, safe in room. Overall pretty clean. No problem with towel or toilet paper supply. Spacious room for 2 people. TV was good.
Con's = Dated room, tiny washroom, musty smell. Cleaning lady didn't come until about 3pm daily.

*IF you can, get yourself a suite!!! They are much nicer & you get a private balcony!*

In conclusion our stay at the Sirata was quite nice, a mediocre hotel cannot ruin the beauty and calmness of Florida! Who really cares about the little petty stuff, your on vacation- live it up! The weather was perfect and beach beautiful. St. Petes Beach will always hold a spot in my heart!

Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2005

Upon Arrival at the Sirata we were told that we could only stay 3 nights, even though we booked four nights and had confirmation of it 3 months in advance. They claimed that there were no rooms available. After discussion with the manager, he found us a room and an upgrade for all 4 nights.
The room was clean, the bathroom was very small and the lighting was horrible for applying makeup.
The housekeeping didn't bring fresh towels for 2 days. We had to go to the font desk and ask for them ourselves.
We had a little trouble regulating the room tempature. It was either way too cold or really hot. The air conditioner would turn off in the middle of the night (not sure why).
The best part about the Sirata was the people in general. Especially the bartender at Harry's - Dominic. See him when you go, he will make wonderful drinks for you and he makes a killer marguerita!
We hung around the beach bar quite often because of the service.
The pools were a little smaller than expected.
The parking stunk! we had trouble each night we came back finding a spot anywhere on site. We explained our concerns to the front desk and found that the Sirata offers on site Weddings and receptions for NON paying guests and they offer free parking for those guests. So if there is a wedding you are more than likely not going to have an easy time finding a parking spot. We had to park across the street 2 nights because there wasn't enough spots for the "paying" guests.
For the price, Sirata was a little better than okay, but I wouldn't pay more than I did.

Been to Sirata Beach Resort? Share your experiences!