“Arrogant and Complacent” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
New Port Richey, Florida
“Arrogant and Complacent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Out for the weekend, with nowhere special to go. We'd just finished a wonderful Fort Myers Beach tour, and as we were leaving for home, decided to try the Waterfront on Pine Island. We figured St James City is a fishing village, so they ought to have some good seafood. So, we took the long drive through Cape Coral, and over to Pine Island, and finally down to the south end.
.....Big mistake.

We looked around, and found very few places to get seafood. The Waterfront Restaurant looked to be a friendly, rustic, comfortable place, and its reviews were pretty good. I also assumed that it's where the locals go. So, we took a table out back on the deck, overlooking the bay.

As we are always looking for good N.E. Clam Chowder (check our other reviews), my wife naturally ordered a cup. I had clam strips as an appetizer. It went downward from there. It took what seemed forever to get our order, even though there were only a few tables occupied. When they arrived, the clams strips were just OK (average for Sysco, although they were very gritty). But, the Clam Chowder was very strange. My wife tried to eat it, and ran into a large blob of what appeared to be baking dough (yeah, picture an uncooked bread dough ball floating in your chowd'a). She also said the chowder tasted like flour. In any case, she couldn't eat it.

We waited another long time for wait staff - long enough for me to finish the clams. When the waitress finally came by, my wife complained that there was something wrong with the chowder. The waitress then explained that the chowder actually had a large biscuit or dinner roll in it - it's their special effect, or something like that. I suspect that ours wasn't baked. Whatever.... In either case, the chowder was refused, and my wife instead opted for a simple Fish Fry - which of course took forever.

OK, so the Fish Fry was good. But, when we got the bill, it had the $5 charge on it for the chowder "that she didn't eat". We were so fed up at that point, that we simply paid the bill. On the way out, I thought that I'd at least tell the manager, but she didn't seem to care - and of course never offered to remove the excessive charge. I told her our standard 20% tip is in the cup of chowder.

We'll not be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Reading
“We come back here time and time again!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Love the wall coverings
Love the service, especially Gina
Love the fact that there's always locals in here
... and I especially love the menu - never disliked anything we've had here!! Bring back the seafood salad!!
See you next time!!

Cape Coral, Florida
“Much better than it looks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stop there via boat off season, and drive in season. The docking is limited. First impressions are to be ignored, this place has great food. It looks like a shack ready to fall into the canal. It has a lot to offer, especially the oysters. They are amazing and so are the prices, they have a special every day. Everybody gets coleslaw, that's the rule. They do not have a full bar, just beer and wine. The only thing I had there that was not great, was the hot dog. Why I ordered a hot dog there, I have no clue!

Buffalo, NY
“Cool Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I went on a date while we were on vacation on Pine Island, what a wonderful place! Good sized portions for the money the food was great we even bought a bottle of their secret vinagar sauce (It's on the table in water bottles, It looks weird but try it took some of the locals telling us, don't let looks be deciving) I had the fresh off the boat shrimp, living in New York this was new to me, it was awsome. And the deserts looked sinful, but I was too stuffed from dinner. Sit out on the patio for a great feeling of Flordia then after dinner walk to the end of the road and look out over the ocean. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Virginia
“Great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nice little place along the water. Good food and great service. Easy to get to from the water along with nice docks! The Sunday special, Sweet Tea Chicken, is a must!!