“Hope for the "Alternate" Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bayfield, Wisconsin
23 attraction reviews
“Hope for the "Alternate" Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Two nights ago we went for a sunset kayak with guide Shannon who has a Ph.D. in fisheries management so was very knowledgeable about the local area and wildlife. It was too windy for the normal tour location, which usually means the sub-standard back-up. Not so. We had to take a van - with comfortable AC - to a remote camp and a completely secluded and wild cove with a single dock. The dock and one house were the only manmade structures within eyesight. Plus, we got to paddle on our own instead of as a group and exploe whatever we wanted. The mosquitos were killer on the entry and exit, but not a bite on the water. It was a great trip for the oldest of our group - age 76 - to the youngest - just days on 7. Take the bug spray and hope for wind on the bay.

Visited July 2013

Aurora, Illinois
“"Captain Russ"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had 4 kids (ages 5-19) and 2 moms aboard for shelling and dolphins. We had fabulous weather with calm sea and bay. Captain Russ had patience for sighting dolphins for us. Ten-twelve dolphins frolicked and played next to the boat then followed the wake of the boat. It was AWESOME! We collected 35 items, 15 sand dollars enough to share with 4 families. Money well spent and "Captain Russ" and the Journey crew were all friendly and helpful with other ideas for entertainment during our week visit. SGI we will be back!!!

Jonestown, Texas
“Super nice and informative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I went to rent SUP for the day. The lady that helped us was super nice and gave us great places in the bay to SUP as well as cautioned us where not to go (like near the oyster beds). We put our deposit down - a little nervous because the weather was turning bad - the next morning it was storming so we did not get to SUP and they graciously did not charge us. Very bummed we did not get to explore on the paddle boards but would go back to these folks and rent if we ever get back to St. George Island.

Visited July 2013
Smithville, Tennessee
“Captain Randy- Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and son have taken fishing trips with journeys before and have always been pleased. This was the first time for me and our other children. Captain Randy was excellent and very knowledgable. We fished and caught several but when he noticed my 6yr old slowly losing interest after a couple of hours, he took us over to another island and gave us a small tour. We fished some more and then went shelling. Our trip ended with watching dolphins play around the boat. My kids all said this was the best part of our vacation! I would highly recommend Captain Randy and will be requesting him again in the future!!

Johns Creek, Georgia
“Overpriced and arrogant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We rented a pontoon boat for the day. We were mostly out to let our two boys fish and troll around Apalachicola Bay. Quickly learned why there was a depth finder on the boat. The bay rarely get over 10 ft in depth. After being on the boat for 9 hours we head back to the dock and instead of turning left at the second green buoy we turn left at the first one. Sure enough we get stuck on a sand bar just 100 yards from the dock.

We call for some help and a nice lady(Krista), tried to help tie a rope to us and tow us out of there. While we were attempting this someone in another boat(turned out to be the owner of the company, Justin. My wife was still in the boat and my kids and I were helping Krista pull a line from her boat to ours. Justin gets out of his boat walks to ours and gets the boat out of the sandbar and back to dock. He did this by gunning the engine from reverse to forward. My wife asks him if this has happened before. He immediately says no and there are buoys telling you were to go.

My kids and I are brought back to the dock by Krista and she could not be nicer. Not only does she say it does happen be she got stuck near the same place a week earlier. While I am packing the car up, Russ, who we went through to rent the boat and the one that took us out in the morning to show us where to and not to go was very rude to my wife. "I don't feel comfortable renting this to you tomorrow". "You guys dinged up our prop. That will be a donation".

I get back to the dock and Russ is visibly perturbed. He claims it was us that damaged the prop. My answer was, "what about the guy that got the boat out of there by gunning the engine?" His reply, "He is the owner of the company". What does that mean? He could never get the prop damaged or he is the owner of the company and what he says goes?

Sure enough Russ charged us $150 for the prop. But pretended to be a nice guy about only charging us for $4 a gallon for the gas not the usual $5 per gallon. $275 for the rental. $150 for the prop. Tax and fuel amounts to nearly a $500 day.

Take this advice if you visit St George Island and like to rent a pontoon boat to fish or just troll around the water. Drive the 35 minutes to Port St. Joe Marina. It is deep water throughout their bay with some nice shallow water for swimming and snorkeling. They are 20% cheaper and much nicer. We will most like visit St. George Island again. But we will never deal with Journeys again.