“A good deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach

You added Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 A1A Beach Boulevard, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32080   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Online & Save
Pembroke Pines, FL
“A good deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

This is very nice hotel to stay at while visting St. Augustine. Rooms were a nice size, staff was friendly, and the location was fine.

It's not close to most attractions, but we knew that going into it (as most hotels in the historic district were VERY expensive). However, it's only a few minutes to the historic district, and it's a pleasant drive.

Overall, a good deal. I'd go back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed a 3 night stay in October, 2009. I didn't pay too much attention when I booked the hotel, and I thought it was on the water side of the road. Other's mentioned the short 2 block walk to the beach. The Hilton-Garden is on the inland side of A1A Beach Blvd. It isn't that big of a deal because the road is 2 lane, and not very busy, but not being on the water means the rooms don't face the water. There's virtually no view to speak of.

The Location is very close to the Anastasia Island State Park, and Lighthouse. I'll post on my experiences there in another review.

The beds are a comfy memory foam like the Sweedish Sleep System infomercials. My wife is picky about beds and found this bed to be comfortable.

The Microwave, Fridge and Coffeemaker were nice. Its not a "micro-fridge". They are 2 separate units in a nice cabinet with a bit of counter space. The only "dishes" provided are fairly standard glasses and coffee mugs; 2 of each. If you're planning on heating up leftovers or doing any other eating in the room I'd recommend bringing a roll of paper towels or napkins. It is not a full size kitchen by any stretch, so I'd say you'd be really pushing it to try to buy groceries and eat in the meal. The fridge does not have any freezer section, so Drinks and leftovers are cool, but don't plan to bring frozen hot pockets or ice-cream.

The breakfast is not included and is $9. It looked good enough, but we decided to eat out all of our breakfasts.

The wifi was free and speedy. You have to register every 24 hours to put your last name and room number (I guess to keep you from stealing their wireless without staying there). It took about 15 seconds every day, but I was otherwise online as freely as I wanted. The connection was fast enough to watch ESPN360.

I noticed several playgrounds nearby, including a fountain without walls for kids to run through. These appeared to be public parks operated by the city. I don't have any kids of my own, but my brother's kids would have enjoyed the place.

Overall, not a bad deal, if you're don't mind crossing the street to get to the beach.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed the week of June 8, 2009. This is a nice, friendly, and clean hotel. We had the full American breakfast added to our hotel bill which is a great time saver if you are on business or vacation. Our wait staff was excellent each morning attending to whatever we requested for breakfast. A little pricey for a family with children but good for couples or business travelers. The swimming pool area is small but clean. The hotel is one block off the beach but convenient enough to walk. The surrounding neighborhood was clean. The Hilton was a short drive to the historical area in St. Augustine.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Not the greatest hotel I've ever stayed at, but nothing wrong with the place either.

Lobby, fitness center, pool, and our two rooms were clean. One morning, the cleaning lady left her cleaning gloves on the bathroom counter - no big deal.

Good selection for buffet breakfast, and a really good value at $9 compared to other places you might have breakfast (Denny's, Perkins, etc.).

And to the person who complained that the drapes don't close - they do close. You just tried to close the "show" drapes, not the real ones. If you'd tried harder, you'd have noticed that the real drapes are actually behind the sheers. This is the design at probably half of the 50 hotels I stay at per year, so not common to this hotel.

The number of channels that they get is a bit low, which is maybe my only legitimate complaint about the place. Since it rained during the first half of our week-long stay, it would have been nice to be more entertained indoors, but no big deal.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
vixiepoo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

The hotel was ok. Parking lot was secure. Great location, right across the street from the beach. Met some real nice people... but the staff was total creeptown! Creepy man maids everywhere. It was weird. and there was vomit on the floor the entire week we were there that had never been cleaned. It smelled the first few nights but it eventually subsided. I mean I could hardly smell it when we walked by to check out. When going down for my morning coffee I was ice grilled by front desk ladies to make sure I wasn't mackin on breakfast, since it apparently wasn't included.
Overall the hotel was nice but I might look around for a better hotel first.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

We were very happy with the Hilton Garden Inn. This was our second stay and we're glad we came back. It's about a block from the beach, in a central part of St. Augustine Beach. The lobby is comfortable and spacious, with a 24-hour convenience station that sells snacks, toiletries, beer & wine, juice, water, etc.

The rooms were clean and well furnished, with a coffee maker, fridge, microwave, and comfortable beds. Bathrooms were clean, with Neutrogena toiletries. They have connecting rooms available, which was important to us as a family with young children.

There is a "business center" -- a room with 2 computers with internet access, printer, and copier. The fitness room is small but clean and up to date, with new treadmills and elliptical machine, medicine balls, and space for stretching.

The breakfast is $9 per person, which seems pricey when you are used to free breakfast. However, they have more than the usual "continental" fare, with made-to-order omelettes, pancakes, etc. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall, a good stay -- we'll be back next time we're in St. Augustine.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

My stay was a trial run for a 2 month extended stay in the area for business. Being close to Spring Break it has been difficult finding local extended stay options.

My first experience with the hotel was with their sales department who gave me the run around and did not perform on promises they had made. I booked a room for my boss a couple weeks earlier for a meeting, and they had not given us the discounted rate agreed upon - they did not rectify the situation. I overlooked it thinking this is Hilton Garden Inn and not a precursor for what was to come.

At check-in, my reservation was also incorrect despite 5+ phone calls to the sales team and General Manager prior to arrival. The desk clerk was hospitable and did not give me a hard time about correcting the rate. I was however downgraded to a 2 double bed room on the first floor. I did get my bottled drinking water though-see below for why.

Room is average and I would say very below average for a Hilton Garden Inn. There is a slight mildew smell in the hotel. I assumed it was 'beach' smell until I saw the bathroom. Bathroom had mildew growing for some time in the corners of the tub along with a fungus growing on the ceiling. Water runs a bit brown and you can see the staining in the tub. Toilet ran slow too with what I hope was water stains.

New towels were in the room - unfortunately they were so new that they left lint all over you after you showered. But you can't complain about new towels.... Room was ok - standard with a microwave and mini-fridge.

I understand it is the busy season at the beach so I expected families and possibly roudy neighbors. No one was being obnoxius at the hotel however I could hear every word of my neighbors conversation with their child next door - not muffled, every word! Thank goodness I didn't have loud neighbors!

As others have said, breakfast is $8.95. Don't expect a free breakfast - that is pretty standard at this branch of hotel.

Beach access is just across the street - love the beach but will have to find another place that delivers on affordability and cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach? Share your experiences!