We spent four nights at this hotel and the trip started ominously when the receptionist did not acknowledge me when I approached the front desk. Her companion offered to help me and provided me with all the information we needed and quickly booked us into our room even though we had arrived three hours early.
I know St. Augustine is famous for its ghosts but the room on the second floor smelled like it had a rotting corrpse stuck underneath the floorboards. My wife immediately called the front desk and they very quickly arranged for us to move to a room on the fifth floor. A very kind porter called Peter helped us all the way and we were a lot happier with our relocation.
This hotel has a problem. It is tacky. The place is in need of a good clean and some paint for a starter. The air conditioning was a horror story in itself causing my wife and I to argue incessantly when I asked for it to be turned off on a nightly basis. It was loud.
There were people drinking in the pool. There were people smoking in the pool. I thought could smell pot on the fifth floor. I heard a dog barking at one in the morning on the fifth floor. (Pets are allowed.) The carpets were stained and the lifts looked dodgy. There was such a tacky feel to the place that it was almost tangible.
The staff worked well and were courteous. Admittedly, there were` a lot of people there and they were taken care off. It was because of people like Peter that made the stay bearable.
Another problem is the A1A on Annastasia Island. This is a seedy looking part of Florida and it seems to me that the whole area is in a downward spiral. It also seems to me that all the hotels are pretty much one and the same. That is a problem for Annastasia Island where the hotels are located and a problem for St. Augustine as well.
All in all if the hotel had some money spent on it and the rules were enforced a stay at the Holiday Inn would be much more enjoyable. By the way, the fried breakfast is the same every morning and not all that interesting. The breakfast is extra unless you request a specific deal where the breakfast is included.
The breakfast as well as the hotel could do with a change.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Isle Oceanfront Hotel
- Holiday Isle Oceanfront Hotel Saint Augustine Beach
- Holiday Inn St Augustine Beach
- Holiday Inn Saint Augustine Beach
- Saint Augustine Beach Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort offers the best of both worlds, being directly on St. Augustine Beach, and only 10 minutes to historic 'Old Town.' Hotel amenities include a full service restaurant, free Wi-Fi, direct beach access, large outdoor pool, poolside tiki bar (seasonal) and a friendly staff. A variety of room options are available in our 150-room, 5-floor hotel, ranging from ground-floor rooms which are pet-friendly to partial view rooms to direct oceanfront rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.