“Simple but lovely” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort

You added Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort to your Saves list
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   860 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32080   |
“Simple but lovely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I love staying at Holiday Isle. We discovered this lively hotel two years ago and have been frequent guests ever since. The rooms are always clean and tidy, the beds comfortable, and the views spectacular. On our most recent stay, we were a bit shocked to find our preciously quiet resort had fallen victim to the karaoke craze - everyday, almost all day, amateur performers sang for the poolside patrons. Not exactly our thing but others enjoyed it. The music was a bit loud but it didn't drag into the evening hours so it worked for us. We do have one minor suggestion for management - not a criticism just an idea to better help your guests. Many visitors rely on the references of the front desk staff on where to eat, places to visit, and where to shop. It would be helpful if your front desk staff were familiar with local restaurants and places of interest. Many of the younger staff were unfamiliar with the area and were only able to refer us and other guests to the free restaurant guide. While this is a great resource, nothing can take the place of a believable human reference. That aside, we really love holiday isle! It's our home away from home when we're in St. Augustine.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I like traveling with my dog and taking her to the beach. This hotel is on a dog friendly beach and doesn't have extreme dog regulations. Pet fee is about $20. Other hotels in the area don't allow you to leave dogs unattended or allow dogs on the furniture.

With that being said, if I were traveling without my dog, I would not stay here. Room is bleachy clean, but this place feels run down. The first floor with tile floors is very loud. Don't expect good quality sleep.

On a serious note, if you're traveling with kids, be mindful that the pool gates open inwards, making it easy for little ones to get into the pool area without an adult. The gate on the north side is broken so it would likely be unlatched and unsecured.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
McCaysville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

This was an excellent value, especially considering the awesome view and location. It sits right on the beach and you're close to downtown. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, and overall we had a great time. We will probably return the next time we come to St Augustine.

• Stayed June 2014
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during our first ever trip to St Augustine. What an awesome city & beach! The hotel was okay. It's definitely old and could use some renovations. We had a partial view room on the 3rd floor. It came with a fridge and microwave so it's apparently one of the newer rooms but I wouldn't have guessed that.

On the plus side: 1) Even with just the partial view from the balcony, it was so relaxing & peaceful to sit out there. 2) The front desk staff were super nice and cheerful. They were quick to help and offered tons of maps, guides & coupon books. The housekeeping staff was good too. 3) The pool was great although we didn't get to enjoy the poolside bar. It was open from 9:30-6:00 I believe and there was just so much to do in St Augustine that we never made it back in time. 4) The beach was easy to get to and the sand was so soft & clean! 5) Plenty of parking.

On the con side: 1) The elevator was very slow. It didn't seem slow once you were on it but waiting for it to arrive seemed to take ages every single time. 2) The a/c unit in the room was very noisy. I definitely didn't get quality sleep here. It kept kicking off and on all night and made itself known every time. The air was very humid too so I felt sticky all the time. The hotel had dehumidifiers running out in the hallway. 3) The carpet in the room felt sticky & dirty. 4) The "detailing" in the room was dirty - ie dirt in the corners, dust on the headboards, the ceilings looked black & dirty (mold maybe?). 5) The bedding was very worn and thin, not luxurious at all. The pillows were small - we got a king size bed and it came with 4 pillows that were about the size of decorative couch pillows. Odd! I had brought my own pillow for the car ride so I used it but my husband wasn't as lucky.

Overall, it was an okay place to stay and it didn't ruin our trip or anything. It's priced great for its location. We plan to come back to St Augustine again but will stay somewhere else next time. I'm just one of those "clean freak" types and I can't fully relax if I feel like a place is dirty.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Brunswick, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Aside from this hotel being located on the beach, we were disappointed. The hallway & rooms were tiled. You could hear the constant traffic from hallway and because it is pet-friendly, there was barking through the night. We were located on the 1st floor and weren't able to get one of the few rooms that actually face the pool & ocean. There happened to be a rowdy group of obnoxious guests around the pool that particular weekend. We really enjoyed St. Augustine, but plan to stay somewhere different next time.

Room Tip: Book way in advance & guarantee yourself an oceanfront room or find a better hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Grant J, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. The main hall on our first floor is the dedicated pet area with tile throughout. This makes for great pet accommodations but on busy weekends can be a loud area of the hotel. As you suggested, I always recommend booking in advance to get one of our wonderful ocean view rooms in the newer and quieter sections of the property.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in a pet friendly room that was very smelly! The room had tile, which I thought would be a plus, but it was very noisy at night. We heard everyone, including dogs barking, in adjacent rooms and in the corridor. The A/C unit was very loud and kicked off and on all night. The hotel needs some updating. It probably tops one of the worst hotel stays ever. Thank goodness we only stayed one night.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property. As you mentioned, our pet friendly rooms are tiled throughout which makes for a cleaner room for the pets. The only downside to having a floor tiled and allowing pets is the noise factor. I do hope that you will return and stay in one of our nicer, more recently renovated rooms on a quieter floor.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

To finish off our vacation we decided to stay here. Don't!! I know that Hotel rooms on the beach have a certain musky smell to them but our room smelled like mold. The Hotel is dog friendly and you can take Fido to the beach. However the experience in the Hotel's restaurant was mortifying. No service, rude and terrible food. A little pricey for its old and a little run-down decor. Btw the sheets on the bed were so used up you could almost see thru them.

• Stayed May 2014
Grant J, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Isle. I'm very sorry that your restaurant experience was not what it should be. I would like to discuss the issues you mentioned with your room further so that I may take corrective steps and insure that any issues are taken care of. Please feel free to contact me at gjordan@holidayisleoceanfront.com

Been to Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!