“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort

Save Saved
You added Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort to your Saves list
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   860 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32080   |
Special Price
20% off a midweek stay
Columbus, Ohio
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was a last minute reservation, I wanted oceanfront and it was the only hotel in St Augustine that had a room for the dates we wanted to stay, plus we had stayed here years ago when it was a Holiday Inn. We figured, it has to be OK, right? Boy how wrong we were. We stayed Sept 18th thru the 21st. We had actually planned on staying one more night but this place was so disgusting we left early. We had checked the bedbug registry and there were no reports for bedbugs, we were relieved. But, one night I got up to the bathroom and found a very large bug. We went down to the front desk and were told it was a palmetto bug and it was harmless. They offered to move us or have someone come in and spray the room. We opted for spraying. Later on we googled palmetto bugs...they are a type of COCKROACH!!!!!!!!!! Disgusting!!!!! And we could not tell that anyone had come to the room and sprayed. We went out and bought cockroach pills and put them in the room ourselves. We should have left then.
The ceiling is falling off, the popcorn paint. It looks like its from water from somewhere. It was all over the floor. The day the maids came in, I figured they would clean it up...NOPE. Was still there when we went back in. So how well did they clean the place?
The bath tub drain was so slow, you ended up with half a tub of water during your shower. We went out and bought Drano ourselves. It helped. But the problem is, no one cleans out the drain, you could see all kinds of gross stuff stuck on the drain! Again, disgusting!
We are sorry we stayed here and definitely would NOT recommend anyone staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I'm terribly sorry that you were not satisfied on your recent vacation with us. Incidents like the one you described are certainly not typical of our hotel, but when we are notified we take all actions necessary to correct them. I'm sorry we fell short of your expectations and we wish you the best of luck in your future travels,

698 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Alachua, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Although I have stayed here several times (my main place to stay), this is the first time I have stayed with our dog. My daughter had been begging me to take her dog to the beach. I wanted to go before the weather turned cooler so we made a quick getaway this September. And I was impressed with how clean the "pet only" rooms were. Although you can't get a view of the ocean from the pet only rooms, it was still a pleasant stay and the staff is always helpful. We arrived early and although I didn't expect them to, they allowed us to check into our room a little early. Everything was super clean. Thanks again for another amazing stay.

Room Tip: Book early for a pet room. There are only a few hotels on the beach that allow pets and this one is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us a perfect rating of 5 stars! We love our "regulars" and we are so glad to be your hotel of choice for your St. Augustine vacations. We always welcome guests traveling with pets to stay in our ground floor rooms. We recently added tile to all the pet friendly rooms to ensure that they are as comfortable and clean as possible. Also, Thank you for adding the lovely picture of your dog on the beach! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Savannah, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here on our wedding nite. I accidentally threw away my wedding jewelry - very special blue earrings and pendant that was my "something blue". We called several hours later and the staff immediately searched through all the dumpsters, worked hard and found my jewelry!!! Peter in maintenance was the hero. Kudos to him and the front desk staff on duty that called with updates, then with the good news. They are shipping it to me so I will have my memento back!! I can't think of many hotels that would go above and beyond as they did!!!! Thank you! You must stay here if you are in St. Augustine FL!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for providing us with such a positive review. I'm relieved we were able to track down your jewelry and make your stay here at Holiday Isle a memorable one. Our staff works very hard to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to recognize their hard work. Congratulations on your marriage, and we hope to see you again soon!
Atl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great time at the Isle. We have stayed there at least 5 times and have enjoyed it every time, sure it's a little rough around the edges but that's price you pay for direct beach access. The sun and sea take it's toll, but they do a great job keeping things running. Our fridge was running to cold, we mentioned to staff, 5 minutes later new fridge. Very friendly folks, great value, pet friendly, we will see them next year. Bottom floors are all tiled for pets.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you very much for making Holiday Isle Oceanfront your hotel of choice for your St. Augustine vacations. We appreciate your loyalty, and we are so glad to host you and your family. As you mentioned, we did recently add tile to all of our pet friendly rooms. We are constantly doing renovations to improve our facilities. Please feel free to contact me directly whenever you are making your reservations for next year. I would be happy to assist you in any way possible.
Berea kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Location is excellent. Love the pool area, and the Resort including the closeness to the pristine Beach. The only bad part of Holiday Isle is the Restaurant. Do not buy any food here, you will regret it!

Room Tip: The pet rooms are great and an easy access to the beach.
Green Features: Great job, place is really clean..using environmentally friendly products.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review! We love to hear that you enjoyed our pool and our direct beach access. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal in the restaurant. We have made many positive changes to our restaurant staff and our menu recently, and we hope next time you're in town you will give us another chance. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed staying here overall. The only thing that bugged me was when we got to our room the A/C was not working & the mini fridge was not working. I think that if house keeping in going into clean the rooms they should be checking this stuff as preventable maintenance and so it is not stuffy when you arrive to your room on a HOT Florida day and you don't waste food because the fridge is not working!

• Stayed September 2013
I'm very glad you enjoyed your vacation with us, however I am sorry about the several small issues you mentioned. You're absolutely correct in saying these issues are preventable, and I apologize for the inconvenience. I will pass your concerns along to housekeeping to ensure these issues will not arise in the future. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.
Amherst, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was one of our best vacations, not only was the area & weather perfect, but the people were wonderful. Everyone at the resort was nice & helpful, especially one waitress named Angela. This woman was truly an angel. After having a delicious steak dinner on our first night at the resort's restaurant, I left my purse at the restaurant. I didn't realize it was missing until hours later when we were going to sleep. All of our vacation cash, my credit cards, driver's license, and car keys were in the purse. We were devastated until the manager realized that Angela had laid my purse on his desk. Nothing was missing & we were able to enjoy a wonderful vacation week, thanks to Angela. We enjoyed this vacation resort which allows pets especially because we could take our little dog to the beach & keep her with us. Now we are planning to return to the area to look at possible relocation to the St. Augustine area when we retire. Thanks Holiday Isle & thanks Angela!

Room Tip: Pet friendly hotel on the ground floor units with easy beech access.
Green Features: Dog poop pouches were conveniently located around the premises.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your 5 star review of our property! I'm so glad that your purse was returned to you without anything missing. Our staff is extremely trustworthy and i'm happy they went above and beyond to help you find your missing purse. As you mentioned, our pet friendly rooms are wonderful for guests who enjoy traveling with their 4 legged friends. We're glad you enjoyed your vacation and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!