“Very nice staff and good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort

Save Saved
You added Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort to your Saves list
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   860 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32080   |
Special Price
20% off a midweek stay
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very nice staff and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

The service staff, from reception, maintenance and maid service were very nice and pleasant. This hotel is going through renovations and some rooms are still being updated. It was clean and the location is very good with pool and beach access. The hotel was full and there was a variety of groups and families. Next time I would like to have an ocean side view to enjoy the sunrise, which is my favorite. I would go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HolidayIsle32080, Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit. You will love the sunrise views from the oceanfront rooms.

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
McCall, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I'd like to offer a review after staying for two days. I can tell you a lot depends on your personal maintenance level as I am sure the room I stayed in would be completely unacceptable to some. The furnishings are outdated, a 27" old (pre-flat screen) TV, no microwave or refrigerator. The carpet was damp and the paint in the bathroom peeling (from humidity, I suppose). At night the sheets felt sticky due to the dampness of the room, the AC did nothing to mitigate this. I think everything was clean but due to the dampness it made it feel dirty. I hope I don't get scabies. I'm not sure why they can't seem to fix this problem, I was just in a Holiday Inn Express and it was dry as a bone, no problems.

The door to the balcony had a deadbolt that was difficult to operate and I am an athletic person (firefighter by trade), I can only imagine the frustration someone with less physical prowess might have.
The water was very soft, to the point it felt I could not rinse the soap off my body.

Be careful where you park as 20%-30% of the parking, esp. close to the doors, floods when it rains and you end up parked in a big puddle.

Okay, that's the bad, here's the good:

Although I didn't use the pool, it looked really clean and the little tiki bar was open. Access to the beach was easy and there is a rental kiosk if you need a boogie board, sunscreen or a chair for the beach. The laundromat on the 1st floor cleaned and dried my clothes for $4 in quarters (I brought my own soap, saving $1) The staff was always pleasant and helpful with all my requests from icing my cooler to finding me a masseuse.

Overall, I would not stay here again but it is not the worst place I have ever stayed. There were no roaches or rats.

Room Tip: Check the room/carpet before accepting
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
HolidayIsle32080, Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We appreciate the compliments about the pool and beach area and understand your concern about the moisture in the room. The rooms (the south side more than the north and oceanfront) seem more prone to moisture after a heavy storm, but should not be that humid. The blankets should be completely dry and comfortable. You should not have been checked into a room that was that humid, and If we were made aware, we would have been able to change your room immediately. I apologize again for the disappointment.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 well deserved nights away at this hotel and really enjoyed it. The room had a partial ocean view from the balcony with 2 chairs. A small table would have been nice to set our drinks, but not a biggie. The room was basic and a bit dated, but very comfortable, especially the bed.

The staff was very accommodating and the pool area was lovely. It was large with many tables with umbrellas over them, lounge chairs, and a tiki bar where you could order food as well. The food here was excellent. The breakfasts were very reasonable and the poolside lunches were great. Try to get a room on the ground floor facing the pool as you can access it immediately - great for bathroom breaks, etc.

We totally enjoyed this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool on the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking advantage of our restaurant, pool and poolside tiki bar. The tip that you mention is a great one for guests that plan to spend a lot of time at the pool and for families with kids. The first floor 'poolside rooms' have a back door that walks directly out to the pool and tiki bar, making it very convenient. We look forward to your return!
Spring Hill, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Checking in we were told we could pay $99 for a regular room or $119 for an upgraded room. We chose the upgraded room and were shocked when we walked into our room and saw that it was run down and full of mold. It was so damp in the room that all paper items were soggy. We asked to be moved and were put in a slightly better room that had a dehumidifier, which we had to wake up at 3:00 a.m. to empty for the second time because it had gotten so full. The overall feeling of the hotel was "slimy". We were asked by a hotel manager how our stay was the next day and reluctantly explained our issues. She actually blamed it on the guests who leave the room doors open on their patios. In the hallway we noticed crud encrusted all over the sprinklers and the hair dryer in our bedroom was so clogged with lint on the back I'm sure it will eventually catch on fire. One of the entrance doors that you're supposed to need a key for was unable to even lock because the entire locking mechanism was ripped out. And when we were leaving the following morning we passed a room they were remodeling, you know, the upgraded room like ours, only this upgraded room had tile floors and was being done nice. So I can only deduce that we were charged for an upgraded room but given a standard room, considering the rugs in our room were sticky to the feet and torn in places. And for all our trouble we didn't even get breakfast. There is not even a continental breakfast, not that I would have eaten anything in that roach motel!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HolidayIsle32080, Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
We apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. Being on the beach in the summer in Florida, it is a bit hot and humid outside and it can get a little humid in the rooms, but it should not have been anywhere near as humid as you mentioned. If it was that humid, it should not have been rented out. The paper products are normally very dry in the rooms. I checked all the sprinkler heads in the building upon seeing this review, and they are all perfectly clean. The bathroom vents are cleaned all the time, but I have informed housekeeping and maintenance of the issue. As for the locking mechanism, the entrance door that was mentioned has a magnetic locking system on the top and it is working perfectly. A valid room key is needed to enter the rooms building for the safety of our guests. I apologize again and we are working hard to make sure this does not happen in the future.
Southport, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed at the holiday isle on June 11th, Our room was clean, beds were comfortable. The only issue we had was the toliet kept running so you would have to "jiggle" the handle several times to get it to stop. We had an oceanfront room and the view was great. If ever in the St Augustine area we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying in one of our oceanfront rooms. The view is amazing from those rooms. We are glad to hear you would stay with us again in the future. We look forward to it!
Galva, Ks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The staff was very friendly and helpful at this hotel. The location was right on the beach and there was a pool for swimming when we got tired of the beach. We had a very enjoyable visit. I also thought the price was good for what we got.

Room Tip: We had a room with a north view which was OK.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
We are glad you had an enjoyable visit. Please come back for another weekend on the beach soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was our fourth time back to this hotel and the first since they updated the north side of the rooms. The rates are far less than the competition and the staff is really friendly. Our housekeeper, Emmi did a great job along with Jason making sure that we get a clean room even though that our stuff were all over the place and leaving a huge mess behind everyday. The pool is just simple fantastic and the ocean is right there. There is no better place in St. Augustine than this. We will stay there anytime we are in the area.

Room Tip: compare price and location
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the glowing review. We are honored that you keep coming back. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!