“Only High Explosives Could Help This Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Augustine Beachfront Resort

You added St. Augustine Beachfront Resort to your Saves list
St. Augustine Beachfront Resort
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Winston-Salem,N.C.
“Only High Explosives Could Help This Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

My family of four stayed here for two nights before leaving in disgust. The "resort" is filthy,unsafe,unsecure. Our first night was a nightmare and we changed rooms the next day which was only marginally better. This place has seen its better days for sure and I totally agree with other reviews that state that the hotel staff is rude.... may be just the place for college kids on spring break or as my daughter aptly stated " for hook ups and hangovers only"
St Augustine Beach and the historic district are lovely and are done a great diservice by this hotel being allowed to operate. That being said there are no saving graces for this trainwreck of a hotel.Their web site is decieving and is the only thing that swayed us on making reservations to begin with.... I am seriously considering asking the St Augustine Beach city council to please find a way or enough code violations to close this place once and for all..... fair warning to all...Please Avoid this Hotel at all cost!!!

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2007

My family of 5 reserved about 5 days at this "hotel". Checking in was awful, took close to an hour. The lobby was actually pretty nice. Upon going to our room we found that there was construction material all over the place and not barricaded. The two rooms next to us looked like people permanently lived there, a barbecue grill in front of the door and garbage all over.

The room. I wouldn't have let my dog sleep in it. It was disgusting, it smelled, it leaked. The "efficiency kitchen" looked like it was 50 years old and was patched all over. Turned on the sink and water spilled onto the floor from underneath. The door lock was all beaten up, not sure if it even locked. Carpet, beds, etc. - all gross. And they were charging $160 a night for this dump!

The kids wanted to go to the pool, so we checked that out. Another nightmare. There were birds in and out of the pool itself the whole time. It was time to get out of there and quickly.

After waiting too much time again in the lobby, and having what I presume was the owner (woman, maybe Greek??) check out what we had done to the room, she came back ranting that we had used the towels, pulled down the sheets, etc. Just get them out of here she mumbled under her breath to the check in lady. So we left, paying nothing for our 2 hour stay.

If you have any sense at all, Stay As Far Away As Possible!! This Place Is A Pig Sty!!

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

First of all, pictures can be deceiving! As soon as we arrived and opened our room door the smell took us back. We looked around and noticed this place looked like it had been under water from a hurricane or something. You can see mold lining the ceiling. The carpet was FILTHY, my sons feet turned BLACK from running around on the carpet with no shoes. The bathroom door couldnt shut all the way. No hairdryer as advertised. No outlets worked my mom had to plug the coffee maker into the lamp. Which was the only outlet that worked. We had to beg for towels. They advertise a 116 ft. waterslide. Well thats only working when they feel like sitting there for 30 min. So they dont have to pay a lifeguard, its what the bartender said. Oh yeah, shes only there on the weekend. Sorry no drinks during the week. No hot water, maybe luke warm for 5 min. The air conditioner sounds like a boeing 727 coming at you all night long. And the best part is the owner (a lady) acts like she could care less. We had to slam our front door to shut it. I will never bring my family back to this place ever again.

Stayed May 2007
Radnor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

I had booked a nine day stay at the above mentioned hotel, I left on the third day and the only reason I stayed that long was because I had to wait for another oceanfront room for the remainder of my stay to become available.

Beside a non working hairdryer, cable on the fritz, air conditioner sounded like a vacuum cleaner with a broken belt, coffe pot never cleaned, no response when telephoning the front desk, toilet not flushing propely, tub drain stopped up, bugs in the room, (I had my bug bites to take home with me) bathroom filthy (I ended up cleaning it myself), as the front desk never responded to my complaints (see above) when I personally went down each day to complain.

The front desk staff were rude and simply ignored what ever I requested. Manager attempted to charge me an early check out fee, even though I had given the proper notice. Even with the notice, no attempt was made to make my stay at the least bearable.

Beach was dirty and broken stones, no opened restaurant, as advertised, some dried out hot trays in the evening, yuk...

I cannot believe this is owned by Best Western Hotel!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Anne at the Tiki Bar, poolside. She was the only PLUS....
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007
va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I originally booked a wedding at this hotel based on my mothers visit and her description. The lobby she stated was nice the dining hall nice, access to the beach great and the staff was fantastic. After I spoke to the wedding event cordinator of the hotel I felt pretty good making the choice from out of town so I sent down 2 seperate deposits to hold a date. No contract was drawn up. She was just too busy. My sister decided to spend the weekend at the hotel and check out the room a week later. They had to move her three times. There was fungus in the couch, A rusted fridge, dirty towels, blood stains, water stains on the ceiling and the A/C leaked. Each room had one or some of these issues. My sister has since contacted the BBB as she is trying to get e refund on her stay and found that there have been several complaints filed on this hotel.I canceled my wedding and they refuse to issue a refund on a check sent 7 days prior for an event in 2008 that they have no contract on. I too am in talks with the BBB who will not accept this hotel as a member due to there poor business practices.

You would do better to set up a tent on the beach.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — filthy rooms, poor service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

My family and I was trying to get away for the weekend just spend it at the beach in this so called nice resort. First of all we asked for ocean view we got renovation view that was not even baracaded off someone could have got hurt. The rooms were very small the door would not close all the way we did not feel very secure.The floors were damp ther was no hot water and on top of that it was sulfur water. The towels you had to use 4 of them to dry off with. The phone did not even work in our room. When we went to check out there was a line all the way from the door there was only one peson working the desk. the only positive thing about this resort was they had a nice pool the lady working the slide was very nice. she brought out toys so the kids could play with. The price we paid for this resort was not even worth it . We will not go back there again!!!

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Everything except the pool
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

I read the reviews after my friend had already booked a room here. She saw the webpage and thought it looked like a nice place to stay. I should have listened to the reviews and changed our reservations because they are all right. I won't go back here.

I waited ONE HOUR to be checked in. I first went in at 2:30 (check in is at 3:00) and was told to come back at 3:00 because they didn't know what rooms would be clean or dirty. I went back at 3:15 and the line was 8 people deep with one person checking people in. I finally made it to my room an hour later. I got lucky because people before me went to their assigned room only to find someone IN the room. They had to come back to get a key to another room. Others had reserved specific things like a king sized bed or waterview and were told that those rooms were not available. They have extra mattresses stacked in the corner of the lobby and a broken door lock was sitting on the front lobby desk. This was not a good sign of things to come.

The room is old and worn down. The door was VERY flimsy and barely locked. I didn't sleep well because I thought someone could easily just kick it in. There were people hanging around outside my door (on the first floor parking lot side) at 12:30 AM and again at 2:30 AM but I was afraid to get out of my bed to see what was going on outside the door! The rooms are small. I could barely open the bathroom door from the inside because it was so small. One of the lights in the room was broken and I think the clock radio used a battery back-up because the electric outlet between the beds didn't work.

On a positive note, the beach is right behind the hotel and there is a pool area with an outdoor bar area. Also, there is an inside bar with two TVs (two were broken). It appears that they are animal friendly (many guests had dogs) so it would be a good place to stay if other hotels in the area didn't allow pets. The staff did all they could but you could tell that they were just beat down and apologetic for the state of the hotel. It wasn't their fault and I felt sorry for them that the place was so unorganized and run down.

We should have paid an extra $40 and stayed at another hotel down the street.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Hotel
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to St. Augustine Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!