“hell on the beach” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Augustine Beachfront Resort

and 1 more site!
You added St. Augustine Beachfront Resort to your Saves list
St. Augustine Beachfront Resort
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
florida
“hell on the beach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

if you dont want to go to hell on earth dont go here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stair to second floor are just before caving in, electrical wires in outside hallway are exposed, mildew growing wherever the eye can see and other places im sure you cant see, door to room could barely be opened have to hit it like a linebacker, it rained while there and the window leaked badly, carpet never been cleaned, coffee pot still had coffee grains in it from last person and was rusted, wallpaper falling off walls , all plumbing fixures rusted, had to run water for 20 min. to get hot water, no cont. breakfest period nothing at all, fridge rusted freezer part completly iced over, ceiling stucco falling down, nobody ever offered cleaned towels, please, please people dont go here if you have health problems this could be your death.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I booked the room online and thought "wow, this price is too good to be true"..and believe me it was! My first clue should have been when I called at 12:30 the day of our check in to find out what time we could get our room, and no one answered the phone for about 20 minutes..I began to wonder if it was a scam! Finally I was able to get an answer, and the lady was friendly enough, so I relaxed a little bit. We were only 45 minutes from St. Augustine, but wanted to spend the night because we were doing a Ghost Tour late and didn't want to drive back. We arrived at the hotel about 4:00 (check-in is at 3:00) and it took about 20 minutes to get checked in. While I am checking in, the phone is continuously ringing, and the lady tells me "I can't get anything done with that phone ringing" and she ignores it...explains my earlier call! I get checked in and am feeling a little better beacause the lobby is nice, although the front desk is kinda cluttered and disorganized. We get our things from the car, and go to find our Oceanfront room...we arrive at the door, and it is propped open with the door latch thing..hmmmm, kinda weird that our room is accessible to anyone walking by, but ok. We enter the room and I get a feeling of unease...I can't put my finger on it but just a uncomfortable feeling. It's neat enough, but definitely OLD...newly painted and new tile in the bathroom, but still OLD. The door didn't seem to be very secure, the adjoining door wasn't locked and the deadbolt wouldn't turn the whole way....we left to go book our tour and the whole time away from the room I was full of anxiety. We drove back, and couldn't get our keycards to work. We took that as a sign, my sister went to the front desk and told them our keys wouldn't work, and that we decided to stay somewhere else. The guy was super friendly and understanding and refunded the room. The ghost tour was awesome, and we are glad we went. I read reviews after booking the room, and thought "Maybe it's not that bad"...it was!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cape Coral FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

I almost made a grave mistake in booking a room for three days with a friend of mine, to go see the Steely Dan Concert at the Amphitheatre. Thank God I spared us the nightmare. We booked a room here and cancelled it. After I read the reviews and saw the pictures of the filthy living conditions compared to their glorious web site. We got a room at the Hampton In a few doors down on the beach which was more than ample.
I had to actually see the place for myself. The reviews ae right. I wouldn't want my dogs to stay i n this hotel. The people who own the place need psychiatric help. How on Earth can the owners sleep at night selling Holocaust conditioned rooms to travelers? I talked to some of the proprieters along the beach about this place and they say the Health Dept. can't close the hotel down if the owners keep paying the fines. However it gives the beach a bad name and is an awful eye sore. Something has to be done to shut this place down seriously. So read the reviews, get the truth and then go :-) If we can deture customers perhaps we can starve them out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
ATL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

This motel needs to be condemed. We wanted to stay at this motel for the slide. Bad mistake! We came in on Sunday at 10pm and it was very dark. The next morning we went for a continental breakfast and the only thing they had was a danish and coffee. We went to the pool wich was nasty , the slide was coverd in bugs and trash. They said the pool would be open at ten but still wasnt open at 11:30. The ice machines would not work, the Tv would turn off if you changed the channel, the carpet was matted down. Do not believe what is on their internet site, a total lie. I went to the front to complain and also ask about the sign that said 2 for 3. The owner first said not they can not give me a refund because it started on Sunday. We came on a Sunday, what the heck. She gave us another room, updated it had tacks holding the wall paper on the wall, and wanted to charge 20 more dollars a night and wanted to give us a refund of $40. It was the most rediculous experience. I received a total refund and got a room at the La Fiesta it was and awesome room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I am shocked this place is booked at all. DO NOT believe their website, it looks nice, beautiful in fact - it is NOT. Water drips from the ceilings in the hallway, everything smells musty, the ice machines leak all over the floor. When I was there the pool was drained, so I didn't get to swim at all. When I went to the indoor pool it looked green, so I didn't go in it. Most of the rooms had a paper number taped to them. The carpets were funky.

The Room: The bed was lumpy and caved in no matter where I laid on it - there was no spring support at all, the pull out couch was lumpy. The sheets were old and musty. The air conditioning unit was so loud my friends and I could not have normal conversations and we couldn't turn it off because it was too hot. There was only 1 maid on duty so getting the room cleaned or getting fresh towels was difficult. The TV made a strange hi pitched noise. The door had to be opened for us on a number of occasions because we could not get into the room (keys wouldn't work).

There was absolutely NOTHING comfortable about this hotel. It was right on the beach, do not say to yourself - "it's right on the beach, we can overlook the other stuff" - don't fool yourself, you won't be able to. Spend the extra $50 and go to a better hotel. This one is in the middle of a remodel of some kind. At least I hope that is the reason - otherwise they should be closed down.

Positives: Fitness center was very very nice, the machines all had TV on them. There was free Wi-fi.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

If you stay here you will be sorry. Seriously. We thought, "Ohhh, how bad could it be? We'll be right on the ocean. We can sleep anywhere for one night...." We were wrong about this place. This is the dirtiest, most disgusting hotel I have ever seen. There are refugee camps in third world countries that have more sanitary and safer conditions.

We stayed in the older part of the hotel and they put in in a room along the highway side (#119). The place smelled like mildew, there were cigarette burns everywhere (in a non-smoking room), everything was rusting or stained, and the microwave looked like someone had thrown acid on it. Horrendous! We immediately complained and were moved to the room next door (#121). This room had the same stench, but had the additional features of having a battered or kicked-in front door and the furniture is actually rotting and falling apart. I am not exaggerating. We complained again and noticed other guests complaining about their rooms and leaving to go to another hotel.

This time to pacify us they moved us to a third room - one on the ocean side. This room was apparently an "upgrade" and although it was still in ragged disrepair and dirty, at least the mildew odor was gone. The sheets and pillowcases had suspicious burns and stains on them - some which appeared to be old menstrual blood. The interesting feature about this room was that the bathroom door did not close. They had to cut a chunk of wood out of the door and you have to lift the seat in order to get the door to shut. Later that night, we saw the biggest cockroach we had ever seen come crawling around the sink and towels area in our room. When we called the front desk to complain, the clerk implied it was a "palmetto bug" and that the hotel didn't have cockroaches. I killed the roach and brought it down to the clerk on the ice tray to show him his "palmetto bug". I protested until we were given a refund and we got the hell out of there.

Yes, the location is right on the beach. That part they don't lie about. However the beach in St. Augustine isn't that great. Were you looking for fluffy sands and blue green waters? You won't find it here. The beach area has rusty pilings and debris right behind the hotel. There are actually broken cinder blocks and garbage laying around where people are walking. If you walk a ways down to the beach even when you're on the beach it is hard packed sand with little shards of shells to jab your feet and the ocean is sort of dingy brown and shallow. It's not that attractive.

Apparently this hotel does have "newly renovated" rooms on the second floor, but these cost an extra $25 or more per night. Given the squalid conditions on the first floor, I can't imagine these newer rooms are any better - they just charge you $110/night. If I'm going to catch Hepatitis B or the black plague, I'd rather do it for free instead of paying for the privilege at this roach motel.

The historic town of St. Augustine has so many pretty bed and breakfasts and decent looking motor lodges. St. Augustine is a beautiful city and worth visiting, but stay the night in the historic section!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
boricua458
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I went there with my family, and since we were on a budget we choose this resort. It is a great place to stay at a low cost. You are right on the beach, plus they have TWO pools and a water slide. The room was nice and we were only 10 minutes from the Historic Downtown Area. We had alot of fun and cant wait to go back! We stayed in room 116 right in front of the ocean.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to St. Augustine Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!