“Dis-gus-ting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Augustine Beachfront Resort

and 1 more site!
You added St. Augustine Beachfront Resort to your Saves list
St. Augustine Beachfront Resort
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Gainesville, Florida
“Dis-gus-ting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I am shocked this place is booked at all. DO NOT believe their website, it looks nice, beautiful in fact - it is NOT. Water drips from the ceilings in the hallway, everything smells musty, the ice machines leak all over the floor. When I was there the pool was drained, so I didn't get to swim at all. When I went to the indoor pool it looked green, so I didn't go in it. Most of the rooms had a paper number taped to them. The carpets were funky.

The Room: The bed was lumpy and caved in no matter where I laid on it - there was no spring support at all, the pull out couch was lumpy. The sheets were old and musty. The air conditioning unit was so loud my friends and I could not have normal conversations and we couldn't turn it off because it was too hot. There was only 1 maid on duty so getting the room cleaned or getting fresh towels was difficult. The TV made a strange hi pitched noise. The door had to be opened for us on a number of occasions because we could not get into the room (keys wouldn't work).

There was absolutely NOTHING comfortable about this hotel. It was right on the beach, do not say to yourself - "it's right on the beach, we can overlook the other stuff" - don't fool yourself, you won't be able to. Spend the extra $50 and go to a better hotel. This one is in the middle of a remodel of some kind. At least I hope that is the reason - otherwise they should be closed down.

Positives: Fitness center was very very nice, the machines all had TV on them. There was free Wi-fi.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

If you stay here you will be sorry. Seriously. We thought, "Ohhh, how bad could it be? We'll be right on the ocean. We can sleep anywhere for one night...." We were wrong about this place. This is the dirtiest, most disgusting hotel I have ever seen. There are refugee camps in third world countries that have more sanitary and safer conditions.

We stayed in the older part of the hotel and they put in in a room along the highway side (#119). The place smelled like mildew, there were cigarette burns everywhere (in a non-smoking room), everything was rusting or stained, and the microwave looked like someone had thrown acid on it. Horrendous! We immediately complained and were moved to the room next door (#121). This room had the same stench, but had the additional features of having a battered or kicked-in front door and the furniture is actually rotting and falling apart. I am not exaggerating. We complained again and noticed other guests complaining about their rooms and leaving to go to another hotel.

This time to pacify us they moved us to a third room - one on the ocean side. This room was apparently an "upgrade" and although it was still in ragged disrepair and dirty, at least the mildew odor was gone. The sheets and pillowcases had suspicious burns and stains on them - some which appeared to be old menstrual blood. The interesting feature about this room was that the bathroom door did not close. They had to cut a chunk of wood out of the door and you have to lift the seat in order to get the door to shut. Later that night, we saw the biggest cockroach we had ever seen come crawling around the sink and towels area in our room. When we called the front desk to complain, the clerk implied it was a "palmetto bug" and that the hotel didn't have cockroaches. I killed the roach and brought it down to the clerk on the ice tray to show him his "palmetto bug". I protested until we were given a refund and we got the hell out of there.

Yes, the location is right on the beach. That part they don't lie about. However the beach in St. Augustine isn't that great. Were you looking for fluffy sands and blue green waters? You won't find it here. The beach area has rusty pilings and debris right behind the hotel. There are actually broken cinder blocks and garbage laying around where people are walking. If you walk a ways down to the beach even when you're on the beach it is hard packed sand with little shards of shells to jab your feet and the ocean is sort of dingy brown and shallow. It's not that attractive.

Apparently this hotel does have "newly renovated" rooms on the second floor, but these cost an extra $25 or more per night. Given the squalid conditions on the first floor, I can't imagine these newer rooms are any better - they just charge you $110/night. If I'm going to catch Hepatitis B or the black plague, I'd rather do it for free instead of paying for the privilege at this roach motel.

The historic town of St. Augustine has so many pretty bed and breakfasts and decent looking motor lodges. St. Augustine is a beautiful city and worth visiting, but stay the night in the historic section!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
boricua458
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I went there with my family, and since we were on a budget we choose this resort. It is a great place to stay at a low cost. You are right on the beach, plus they have TWO pools and a water slide. The room was nice and we were only 10 minutes from the Historic Downtown Area. We had alot of fun and cant wait to go back! We stayed in room 116 right in front of the ocean.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Central Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I always look for some positives first; this hotel has a great location; next to the St. Augustine Beach Fishing Pier to the south and Anastasia State Park and its miles of undeveloped beach to the north. Great location to experience the surf.
But sadly, the negatives far outweigh the positives. We're used to getting much nicer accomodations for over $100 a night. Rooms and bathrooms are small and worn. The light fixtures over the bed in our room were corroded with rust from the salt air. Mattresses had little support - very springy. Some bed pillows were the size of couch pillows (that was good for a laugh!). We tried to shower 3 times. First time no hot water; second time no water, third time no hot water again. To their credit, they did get the problem fixed, but by that time we had gone to bed. Our friends received an "upgraded" room since they were staying longer. Their upgrade consisted of a room with an ocean view, an unreliable air conditioner, no phone service (our friend was shocked when she tried to move a loose cord to make a connection), and wires hanging from the ceiling where the fire detector should have been. This hotel would have been wiser to settle for the outdoor pool and beachside ammenities instead of building a new indoor pool - that money would have been better spent upgrading the infrastructure of the rooms. Oh yeah, the room door was so corroded that we couldn't get the door to lock securely. Also, watch your step - there were lots of dogs using the hotel, too. But ... it is a great location!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

You could not pay me to stay there again. It was the most disgusting place I've ever had to lay my head. Please do not stay there. You will be sorry. Your room will make you nauseous. You will want to disinfect yourself when you get home. And leave a scathing review to prevent it from happening to others. If for some reason you do decide to pay actual money to have this inflicted upon you, I truley hope your experience is different. But just in case-- please bring Lysol. If for some reason you aren't scarred, I will tell you the worst detail from my experience. . . there was blood on my pillow.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

I cannot believe that there are actually people on this site saying that this place is even "okay". It is absolutely disgusting! I stayed here for 2 nights, and was suppose to have the "deluxe ocean view newley remodeled" room. I had a view of the parking lot, and the rooms "remodel" was an amateur job of replacing the tiles in the shower. My room began to leak (it rained for the first day or so), and the entire carpet and wall were sopping wet and full of mold and water damage. I changed rooms FIVE, yes FIVE times, and each time something was wrong. The A/C wasn't working in some rooms, 4 of the 5 rooms had the same horrible leak and mold problems, it smells like rotten water and dirty dogs. I have a pet, and I understand that it's great to have the option of pet friendly hotels, but the second you step into the lobby you smell dog. They have a huge, nasty bird in the lobby too which adds to the stench. The room I finally ended up in looked like a scene from a horror movie. I was convinced I was going to get murdered there in the middle of the night. Theres no way this room has ever actually been cleaned, and I'm sure the bedding hasn't been washed in about 20 years. You can feel the springs popping up through the mattress, and the furniture is peeling and cracking and broken. The hallways are horrendous. Sopping wet from the parade of white trash children running around after swimming in the dirty and disgusting pools.
Don't be fooled by the photos on the website, they are 100% inaccurate. It's a shame because the location is great.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

The staff was really friendly, the room was clean. Great few,loved the pools and the tike bar and great location. The price was really reasonable, I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Augustine Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!