“Fantastic location at a great value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Augustine Beachfront Resort

You added St. Augustine Beachfront Resort to your Saves list
St. Augustine Beachfront Resort
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Westfield, MA
“Fantastic location at a great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We looked at other reviews on Tripadvisor before our trip here, and checked out a few motels before deciding. This motel couldn't have a better location, near the historic town of Saint Augustine but JUST next to the beach over the bridge. We can see the waves from our room, and walk on the beach in the morning. It's unpretentious, and yes the towels aren't pure white, but they're clean, as is our room. We have a full kitchenette with sofabed and all utensils, and enjoy the indoor and outdoor pools and indoor spa. We have use of exercise machines and can grab coffee in the lobby anytime. On weekends they have a breakfast buffet. There's wifi in the lobby and the staff is very friendly and helpful. It's pretty dog-friendly, so our dog gets to play with others nearby and go with us on walks. There's a great park next door and a bicycle trail across the street. I recommend giving this place a chance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I don't even know where to begin describing the place absolutely DISGUSTING I don't know how a place like this isn't shut down by the department of health. We looked and pics on their website and looked absolutely beautiful but when we arrived and checked in we went to go get into our room and my husband put the key in the door was unlocked but was stuck shut he had to SLAM his body against the door for it to open once the door opened the entire wall that was behind the door was non existint it was just molded, rotting pipes no drywall or anything. Then I notice the carpet it looked like was fecal matter on the floors and I saw something sticking out from under the bed it was a rotting banana that must have been there for months to look the way it did, next was to check out the bathroom WOW didn't think it was possible to get any worse there was rust stains in the tub and sink and a cockroaach in the tub alive along with some hair that I'll refrain from saying where it was from. I did have my dog with me and don't know if all the rooms are like this or just the ones that allow dogs but it was so horrific we were in the rooms just long enought to check it out and when we walked out to leave and got in the car I had found 4 TICKS and several fleas on my dog who is on frontline T"HANK GOODNESS. All I can say about this place is BEWARE OF THE CRITTERS AND VERMON.......................................

Deland, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

First I must start this off by saying how excited I was to take my son, who is 2, and my 12 year old sister on our first family vacation. I am a single mother so this was a big deal to us. We arrived a little early and I understood if they could not accomendate us right away. The woman at the desk said that she actually had 2 rooms in the particular fashion that I requested (Studio Suite, so we could save money and cook ourselves). I chose the room I wanted and we proceeded to go there. We arrived to an open door and a room that wasnt even cleaned yet. So I went back up to the front desk and was told the room was clean, they had just not made the bed yet. That was fine. I waited while they finished the room. We unloaded all of our stuff and proceeded to the pool. Sometime that night our refrigerator stopped working spoiling all of our food about 60 dollars worth. I called the front office as soon as I realized the problem and was told the mechanic wasnt there but when he came in that he would have it fixed. I asked what I needed to do about the food that spoiled. The woman told me I would have to speak to the manager. I took the kids to breakfast as I had no food from the spoiling. We we arrived back I went to my room only to find that my key was no longer working. So back to the front desk to speak to the manager. The manager was not only rude and condisending but she accused me of sabotaging the food myself to get a free night!!!!!!!! I told her she was on some sort of drugs. Then she proceeded to tell me that she couldnt get the lock fixed so if I wanted into my room I would have to go get her and have her open it. She gave me 30 dollars off on my room and I decided I wouldnt let this ruin my vacation.

The place was terrible, the people were rude and the pictures are deceiving. Oh and I still am fighting with them for my refund.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Marathon, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

Do not stay here. This was the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in and I've traveled quite a bit. We were quoted one price on the phone only to show up an hour later to a higher price and extra fees for my dog that was not stated on the phone even though I clearly stated we were coming with our pet. The room was absolutely disgusting. It looked like it was flooded and the water drained and then flooded again. Everything had a film on it and we wouldn't touch the floor without shoes. I could go on and on but it's a waste of my time. This place is falsely advertising. It's a total dump. I wouldn't stay here again if it was free.

The location is so wonderful, the hotel should be leveled and something new brought in. The owners of this property should be ashamed they are wasting such a fantastic location.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Are you kidding me? this is not a resort! This is a fleabag with a view and not a very good view at that. I booked through hotels.com, and can tell you now I promise not to use them again or to stay here again. I will say this the staff was friendly, but should have known something was going to go bad when I heard and then saw the 80lb dog behind the front desk. These people really dont know how to run any type of business. I feel bad. this is a great location occupied by a horrible hotel.

So where do I start. Oh yes the lobby. Picture if you can new orleans after katrina in about 1500 square feet of space. an automatic door that doesnt work. 2 birds caged off to the side and an ancient computer for the internet access. NOT WIFI, but a comuter that looks to be at least 8 to 10 years old and that is not an exageration. The nicest thing in the lobby was the granite coutertop. Then the dog behind it barking loudly. I am typically an easy person to please, but had to say many alarms went off in my head from the beginning. Not wantng to upset my wife and daughter I pushed on. hoping it would only get better. unfortunately it would not.

Next disaster the first room. yes thats right we ended up with more than one, because they didnt pay atention to my request of a non smoking room. they also did not tell me that this was supposed to be ocean front/view, but had only a veiw of the parking lot and the public beach access point and its parking. My wife is allergic to cig smoke and we quickly went back down to the desk and requested another room. also noting that this first room was still being worked on. the closet doors were off the hinges, and the exterior door was almost impossible to close. there was rust on the exterior of the fidge, mirowave and coffepot. the fidge was also dirty on the inside. the ceiling plaster was also falling down. afer getting to the desk and explaining the situation the clerk was friendly and said she would upgade us to a renovated room.

Room 2 Backyard flood and possible twister visited here before us. closet door was also missing in action. mold on the shower curtian looked like it could be the cure for herpes. bathroom door did not close at all. towels were leftovers from the titanic. tiled bathroom floor was filthy. at least the showers were hot except the last day and the toilet did work. burner plate on coffee maker was rusted. the 1 and only ceramic coffee mug was dirty and sticky. there were a few paper cups to use. All surfaces in the room contained a layer of grime. everything including drawers needed wiped down. appears that they wallpapered over deteriorating walls. the carpet had as much dirt in it as a dirt road has on it. I could take a shower walk across the floor and the bottom of my feet turned black from the dirt. wiping it off only gave me the oppurtunity to do it again. all door hinges were rusted badly. The tv was shot, or should have been to put it out of our misery. bad analog signal and it would just turn off sometimes on its own for no ryme or reason. we had several insect visitors who did no help us pay for the room.

Next experience the Hot Tub and indoor pool. Cleanest part of this hotel. the pool was ice cold, and the hot tub foamed badly. overall the highlight of this particular stay. only problem here was that we were in a room that faced the indoor pool and also enclosed by it. the roof leaked between the hotel roof and the pool enclosure. This creates a small flood for the first floor residents, but did not affect us becasue we were on the second floor.

Beach access was same as everyone else. it was the easiest to go to the public access.

The continential breakfast with gourmet coffee/tea per their website is laughable. mini danishes and regular coffee that tasted like battery acid and no tea. all of this is in the lobby with our lovely birds and canine wildlife. need i say more.

We also experienced the key problem, but only once. we had to have both keys reset on the second night. and the housekeeping staff pretended no to speak enough english to communicate, but later saw the same guy talking english to another housekeeper in the laundry room.

anyone thinking about staying here PLEASE DO NOT. RUN FOREST RUN to the SUPER 8 across the street, and a hilton and hampton in about a block away that looks a whole world better. the only reason we even endured the stay is beacuse hotels.com would not refund our money. That is also why we will not use them again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We made reservations at this hotel, wanting to stay beachfront on our way to Disney. I pride myself in being able to determine the condition of the hotel from pictures -- there are certain little nuances to look for -- but this one simply is lying to folks about the accommodations and surroundings.

The lovely building you see in the pictures does not house the hotel rooms -- or at least now it doesn't. There is a wing that holds the front desk and a u-shaped group of rooms. We were aware they are revitalizing the hotel, so asked for one of the newly redone rooms. The very helpful and friendly clerk told me "You will not be disappointed with this room". She promised it was oceanfront, and one of their remodeled rooms.

When we arrived we waited a long time to check in, while 4 people behind the counter helped someone put their jewelry in a safe behind the desk. We entered our room only to find it was not oceanfront, but oceanview -- however it was indeed newly refurbished. The bathroom was beautiful, and there is very nice new furniture. But it all stops there! The rooms are too small for the amount of furniture in there.... we had to block the balcony door to open up our suitcases. The bathroom sink area is pretty to look at, but has absolutely no place to put anything -- it's a raised sink on a small boxed-in countertop. Was not designed well. Thus we had to keep all of our bathroom stuff on an adjacent desk area. There were 2 mugs provided for coffee. One was broken (shattered), and when I asked for another I was grilled out it. I also left a note for the maid -- I never did receive another cup.

The hallway and balcony stairs were absolutely filthy! Literally cluttered with paper, and dirt and mud. The ice machine was turned off -- evidently it didn't work as there was water everywhere -- not mopped up, mind you.

The hotel's beach is in front of a broken off wall -- looks like something was constructed there once upon a time. They advised you access the beach from an adjacent public beach access, of which we had a good view from our ocean view room!

And last, but not least, there was an incredibly rude older woman at the front desk mornings. She snapped at, scolded and ridiculed the guests. Not one word from her mouth was friendly or polite. Their continental bfast consisted of cups of coffee gotten for you from the kitchen, and dry, stale donuts they probably bought weekly somewhere.

In summary, it appears this place was once a grand lady standing proudly on St. Augustine Beach. It was not cared for for some time, and is very dated in most rooms. A few have been remodeled, but they are not done well, and you still have to deal with poor surroundings and terrible housekeeping.

The only enjoyable things here are the sunrise over the ocean and a beautiful beach to walk on. We can find those things in another place -- certainly never again at this disgusting hotel.

Gville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My husband and I went to St. Augustine for Valentines weekend and thought it would be nice to be right on the beach. We arrived Friday evening and waited about an hour due to the staff not knowing what the hel l they were doing. Finally we got our keys and went up to our room, thinking that we were going to have a peaceful and relaxing weekend. The room looked decent and we unpacked and went out. When we got back to our room, the key would not work in the door. My husband went down to talk to the guy and he reset the key. He came back up, tried again, and still nothing. He went back down and the guy had this careless attitude and said there was nothing he could do. Then he gave us two keys for another room and told us we could switch. So, late at night, we were going to have to switch rooms. Well the keys he gave us didnt work in that door either. Frustrated, we went back down and the guy basically expressed that he didnt give a crap and we can have our money back and stay somewhere else, after threatening to call the police on us for disorderly conduct. Finally he said he could let us in with his master key, and basically we can't leave our room now because we have no way to get in unless we run and get staff every time we go in and out. He said maintenance came in at 6 and would be there first thing in the morning. Well at 830 we had to call back down there, and they said the maint guy would be right up. He came up with two keys he had set, and bingo, it worked. Thats all it needed. He was very considerate and understanding, and knew what he was doing. So we went out, came back around 430 and they key would not work AGAIN. So we went down there, got a manager, and explained this to her. She acted like it was no big deal and came up and tried it. It took this lady until 630 to fix the door. At this point we are getting so upset with the incompetence of this place that we just wanted to leave. We went out to dinner, came back , and you guessed it. The door would not open AGAIN. My husband went down there, got the same manager, and she came up and tried it herself. Naturally it didnt open and my husband just looked at me and said " You ready ? We're going home." She let us in with the master, we packed up quick and got the hell out of there. It really surprises me how you can run a business with incompetent staff and even management. I did not want to spend Valentines weekend arguing with the staff at Beachfront. If I am paying 130 a night for a room, I want to have a room I can get into. This is the worst treatment I have ever gotten from a hotel and I would rather sleep under a bridge than go back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Augustine Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!