“Capital D-U-M-P” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Augustine Beachfront Resort

and 1 more site!
You added St. Augustine Beachfront Resort to your Saves list
St. Augustine Beachfront Resort
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 A1A Beach Blvd, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32084   |
Chuluota
“Capital D-U-M-P”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

When you drive up to the hotel you see how pretty the building is with it's fresh new paint. That is all that is pretty to the hotel, though. I don't understand why the hotel is called a "resort". It should be called a lower end "motel". It is a dump! The front office smells like cat urine. The rooms are in need of a huge overhaul!!! Our door barely closed; you have to basically slam it to make sure that you are safe and secure in the room. There are cracks in the ceiling. The fan in the bathroom is broken and is full of dust. The small 'fridge barely keeps your things cool.
The cleaning was okay, until we found a man's sock near the old air conditioning unit on the floor.
The people who worked there were very friendly, however.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the website. It is not as nice looking as it appears! Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Renee M, Public Relations Manager at St. Augustine Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Very sorry to hear of the problems. We are working on fixing lots of our downfalls.I will make sure we research the fan in the bathroom and the sock issue. These are not things you should of had to encounter. The only way we can make things better is to be told of them. Im glad you found the staff to be friendly. I will look into everything you noted. I would like to thank you for the time you took to review us and hope you will give us another shot.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
High Springs, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

When we arrived there we had our beach front view, but the sidewalk was half flooded. The door to the room wouldn't close or lock, the room did not have any towels/wash cloths, phone. Lamp was broken, mold on the bathroom walls. When I brought these problems to the attention of the staff, no one responded. According to the front desk they were packaging the phone lines so none of the rooms had a phone. Isn't that a requirement? On my third attempt to get towels I finally got them, but my son finally fixed the door. The grounds were filthy and unkempt, the hot tub was cold, inside pool was dirty. For 90 dollars a night was not worth it. I have stayed in places much better . About the only good thing to this hotel was the water slide and how close it was to the pier and beach. Otherwise, not worth the money. The front desk person was nice, but the maid staff looked like a bunch of crack heads, that were too busy talking on their cellphones to meet the needs of the guests.

Room Tip: Do not pick any poolside rooms all of them have water right in front of the door.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are working on the water on the sidewalk problems. It is so hot that the A/C is run at full capacity and runs off a lot of water. The hob tub heating element is on order and we are sorry a guest through glass in the hot tub and broke the element. I will make sure to address the issue of the housekeeping staff being on their cell phones. Will look into all the maters you brought up. Thank you
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is the worst hotel ever! "Resort".. What a JOKE! The only thing nice is the pictures they post on there web site! Staff was BEYOND rude, our room stunk, the cleaning lady came in to clean our room and when we asked her to vaccum she told us that they do not have one.. This was a family vacation and our one year old could not even walk around the room because I did not know what she would pick up off of that nasty floor. Save your money on this one and find yourself another hotel!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sorry to hear of all your problems. I thought we went out of our way to help you. Thank you at least for being kind to the staff and allowing us to try to make it right. This is Renee and please let me know if you have not received your refund because I saw to it myself . Good fortune to you.
Cordele, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This so called "resort" is a total scam! It is not a resort, but a fleabag motel! The pictures make it look nice so I booked it. From the time we pulled on the property, we knew we had booked the wrong place. We were given room 214 and after lugging all of our stuff up the stairs, we found the maintenance men (no uniforms but we later saw them working) smoking on the balcony directly in front of our room. I had my 1-year-old son in one arm and a bag in the other and did not want to set either in the muddy water outside my door, but was not offered any assistance.

Inside the room my children's feet were total black from walking around on the carpet for a few minutes. We immediately started itching and thought it may have been our imaginations because the place feels dirty, but my son developed several red bumps that resembled flea-bites. The sheets were stained, the microwave was growing mold inside, the fridge had spilled beverage in it, and the paint was chipping off the walls and doors. We had asked for adjoining rooms because we had friends coming in, but the lock on the door to the next room was rusted shut.

On my way to the lobby to check out, I bumped into who I assumed was the manager (again no uniforms or name tags), she asked if everything was alright, and I told her the problems. She sharply responded that I needed to go the front desk. There I found out that my card had already been billed and I could not get a full refund, because I had booked in advance, and would have to pay for at least one night. I would have been more adamant about getting a full refund but was unsure I would have anywhere else to go especially with 6 more people coming in. Looking back, I should have demanded a refund even if we had to sleep in our car at a rest-area.

Renee at the desk was very polite, and "upgraded" us to a newly remodeled room (246) for the same price. This room was not much better. The same filthy carpet. The tub was very slow-draining. The sheets were stained and had holes. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was caked with dust. The toilet had rust stains. The switch for the light over the sink also turned off every outlet around the beds. We could not watch TV, charge our phones, run a fan we brought. I had to borrow the extension cord from behind the TV and run it over to the outlet by the sink to keep our fan on. The ceiling fan and two of the lamps never did work.

Upon exploring the hotel, we found an elevator they failed to tell us about (we were scared to use it anyway as it looked like it was in bad disrepair). The hot tub does not work so basically you have a warm, non-filtering cesspool of germs. We slept on top of the covers that night and got out of there as soon as we could the next day. Five days later, I am still waiting for the refund to hit my card.

It is such a beautiful spot. They really should tear it down an build a decent place to stay there.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are any good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Renee M, Public Relations Manager at St. Augustine Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are making many upgrades to the hotel and as soon as I read your review , I made sure al the carpets were shampooed. We do this once a month, being a beachfront hotel people do bring in a lot of sand. I will make sure we work on this. Thanks
Tallahassee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I did not look at the reviews before I booked this hotel but the awful ratings are 100% accurate. This is the worst place I have ever stayed - a 100% dump. Stunk, terrible service by rude employees, disgusting rooms that are old and never been updated, no phones, burned out light bulbs, mold in bathroom, leaky toilet, tub that did not drain, dead bug in the bed - absolutely disgusting and should be closed immediately. No ice machine for guests unless you go to the "kitchen". Our reservation was for an ocean front and when we got there we were informed they didn't have one - although I booked weeks in advance. They had "mechanical problems" supposedly, but did not let us know until we got there, although they had my cell phone number and email. I can't say enough about how atrocious this place was.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We do apologize for the problems you seemed to encounter. We are in the process of making many upgrades to the hotel and hope that you will consider us again in the future
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wow! This has to be the biggest joke of a "resort" I've ever seen. We check in to a room that has no AC, no privacy curtain and smells like the dumpster behind a abortion clinic. So we complain and get moved to a different room. We wake up the next morning to go to the beach, and shocker! We can't get out of our room. The whole door handle falls off and batteries and wires fall out of the door. The phone in the room doesn't work, so I used my cell phone to call the front desk to come free us from our imprisonment. Finally escaped to the place across the street which was very nice. I think Ponce de Leon might have actually stayed here during his stay in st Augustine, bc it's smells and looks to be that old!

• Stayed July 2013
Yes the property is older than the chain hotels, we are constantly making upgrades. So sorry that you had to be stuck in your room . I hope the staff was efficient in helping you out.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

First off, the room I stayed in 202 was nasty. There was no shower curtain, it had a musty smell to the room. My husband and I laid down and took a nap when we first got there and I woke up with red bumps all over my legs and they itched like crazy so we tore the bed sheets off and took the bed off the frame thinking it was bed bugs, but we seen no sign of bed bugs so we went to the front desk and the lady said they had no rooms available and she said they looked like hives, but I'm not allergic to anything, but cats. So she said she would send up clean sheets, an hour later still no sheets and I look down at my foot and see at least five fleas on me. I went back to the front and told them I wasn't staying in that room and a different worker said they had plenty of rooms and that she would move me, so I guess the first lady just didn't want us to move. The second room wasn't much better, it had a musty smell to it and we kept having trouble with our tv. My husband and I went out and came back to the hotel and saw some women and her small children trying to get into room 202, the door was so stuck you had to almost football tackle it every time, but they didn't send anyone to clean that room and they stuck that women in there so we told her about the flea infestation. The cleaning people didn't clean our room one time since we were there, when we wanted clean towels we had to go to the front desk every time and even to get toilet paper. Also, the cleaning women weren't in any kind of uniform, they looked like they were off the street, wearing spandex and half of a shirt. The hot tub in the indoor pool area didn't even work. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone! The pictures on the Internet fooled me and my husband. Do NOT stay here! It's so horrible! The price isn't worth staying here.

• Stayed July 2013
Im sorry the you got bitten by something. We are a pet friendly hotel, as soon as we are told of any type problem like that we instantly spray. Im glad one of the staff members was able to move you. We might not of had any available when the first member was on duty. Im sorry you did not enjoy the stay. We would be happy to extend a free night stay to you

Been to St. Augustine Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!