“Great weekend get-away at the beach!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ascend Collection Castillo Real

You added Ascend Collection Castillo Real to your Saves list
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 A1A Beach Boulevard, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32080   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
“Great weekend get-away at the beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The staff are friendly & helpful- the rooms were clean. The shower & hot tub were nice & large. The walk to the beach is a very short one- down a small street with virtually no traffic. Within walking distance to several restaurants & shops. Will definitely stay here again if we go back to St Augustine!

• Stayed June 2013
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
USMCMama,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and our property. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit our beautiful city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were really impressed by the room furnishings and generous size. The king-bed in our room offered a great night's sleep. We were able to get an excellent deal on this property with priceline.com, but I'd be happy to book directly and pay full rate there in the future, as the location, beautiful room, amenities and friendly staff really impressed me. We didn't use the pool (which seemed filled with kids all day, and pretty loud, but hey, it's a family friendly place!) or dining room (which, oddly, seemed to have no kids, but a lot of senior citizens and a nice looking Italian menu) but both looked very well kept overall. We were slightly disappointed that the hot-tub was out of service during our visit, and that there weren't more late-night dining options nearby. The surf was rough during our visit, but the beach (a super-quick walk away) was really beautiful. I'd recommend this hotel for families, couples or friends looking for a nice property close to the beach for a great rate.

Room Tip: It appears some rooms (even basic ones) have balconies- we didn't manage to get one though and w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RDealaney, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Ontari-ari-ari0,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am happy to hear that you came away from your stay impressed with our amenities and staff. Our goal is for everyone to feel welcome and to want to come back. I apologize for the hot tub being out of order; sometimes we are at the mercy of repair and delivery men. We can't wait to welcome you back soon.
Pulaski, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire.com and only paid $89 a night for our room.
Pros: The hotel room was a nice size, CLEAN, and the beds were super comfortable. My dad did not like the sheets on his bed as they came off mutliple time throughout the night. Very short walk to the beach. The pool was a nice size.

Cons: The water pressure was extremely low! Sheets came off one bed during the night. Had a hotel restaurant (which we did not eat) and did not offer continental breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CHSojourner,

I am glad to hear that over all you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We love to hear when guests notice how clean we are. We work very hard on that, and feel that everyone deserves a clean environment that they did not have to clean themselves. I am happy that you found the bed so comfortable and I apologize about the sheets. We hope that you return again soon and thank you for your review.
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Hotel is very nice looking and the staff was friendly. Hotel is not directly on the beach, but the walk is very short. The pool area behind the building became eclipsed by shadow after 4PM offering only shade while in the pool. Cell service is difficult to get in the area, and if you want to make any local calls (i.e. restaurants) using the in room phone they charge $1.00 per call (!!!). We discovered this fact after having a bill for $3.42 slipped under our door the next morning. Our room itself was nice. As a light sleeper, I noticed that the refrigerator's compressor made a few loud pops and clicks late in the night, but that was overcome by the A/C clicking on and producing sound levels comparable to a jet taking off. The hallways were completely tiled which looked very nice, but created the reverberations of an indoor swimming pool. This was especially apparent when several loud neighbors were entering their room late at night, when someone exited through the exterior door 6 feet from our room (we were on the ground floor), and when the cleaning service was vacuuming outside the room (who vacuums tile anyways?). Needless to say, if you're a light sleeper - do not stay here.

Additionally, check-in time is 4PM and check-out time is 10AM so expect to arrive late and leave early. The only breakfast option at the hotel is in their restaurant and is not included as part of the stay, there was no continental breakfast whatsoever, only coffee in the lobby area. We decided to have breakfast at the Wildflower Cafe and I would highly recommend it!

I definitely did not feel like the cost of the room was justified after staying at this hotel. I felt nickel and dimed due to the phone costs, the fact that no breakfast option was provided, and the late check-in and early check-out times. I will not stay again.

Ray M,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that you felt "nickel and dimed". We do have phone usage instructions in the room stating that there is a charge for local calls. I wish you would have talked to the front desk about the noise issues that you had. Our upper floors are not all tiled, they are carpeted. As long as we were not sold out, we would have been more than happy to move you to an upper floor. I am not sure why you were under the impression that our check out time is 10 am. It is and has always been 11 am and almost all of the time we are more than happy to even extend that until 12 noon. We never want our guests to feel rushed. We also will offer you the use of our facilities before you check in and after you check out. If your room is ready before 4pm we have no problem checking you in early. Both before you are able to get into your room and after check out, we have no problem extending a day use key to access the pool and fitness center with full bathroom facilities. As I am sure you understand, we have a wonderful full service, independently owned and operated restaurant on site. We can't very well give breakfast away in the same building that a restaurant is selling it and trying to make a profit. Also, if you are staying at the higher end chain hotels such as Hiltons, and Marriotts they charge for their breakfasts as well. We do hope you will try us again and maybe request a higher floor for a quieter stay. Thank you for your feed back.
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times now. I have also recommended them to both friends and family from out of town. They are not right on the beach, but only a short walk away which is fine with me.I have always enjoyed my stay here. It is a pretty nicely decorated upscale small hotel. They have their own restaurant which i have eaten breakfast at a couple times, it was good. They also have a nice outdoor pool.The beds are comfy, rooms are clean. They are pricey and i really wish that they offered more of a price break, like maybe for florida residents or for those of us that are repeat loyal customers......CASTILLO ARE YOU LISTENING?? BUT ASIDE FROM THAT, IT IS MY DAUGHTER AND MINE LITTLE SUMMER GETAWAY WE TAKE TOGETHER EVERY SUMMER. I'M SO GLAD I FOUND IT AND WOULD DEF RECOMMEND!!

Room Tip: Just get the least expensive room, since you cant see the ocean anyway, But its just a short walk aw...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sandra D,
Thank you for your repeat business and your recommendations to your friends and family. If you sign up for Choice Privileges, our free reward program, you can earn points toward future free stays and if you know of your travel plans ahead of time you can book at a 15% discount. I hope that this information helps to make your future stays even more enjoyable than your previous ones. Thank you for you business and your review.
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Three of the light bulbs in our hotel room were missing, one in the bedroom, one in the area off the bathroom and one in the shower room. The one in the shower room was especially bad because it's a small space and hard to see without a light. The lights that worked had very low wats. The room was dark and not overly clean. It was dusty. The breakfast deal available to guests in the morning was poor because the food wasn't good,and the restaurant wasn't clean. In fact, one waiter was vacuuming. They charge for juice above the cost of the breakfast deal. Go elsewhere for breakfast. The hotel is in a good location a short walk to the beach. That's the only thing good about it. We won't be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
itchyfeetp,

I apologize about the issue with the lights in your room. I do hope that you called right down, so that we could take care of the problem immediately. It actually sounds like it could have been a breaker. I do hope we were given a chance to fix that for you. We are aware of the darkness of the rooms and are working to remedy that problem, as the bulbs in our rooms are the equivalent of 150 Watt bulbs. We are renovation and working to lighten the rooms. We hope that you will give us another chance, sometime after that Fall, when our renovations are planned. Thank you for your review.
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I highly recommend this hotel, and if we are ever back in the St. Augustine area, we would definitely stay here again. Why? The hotel was clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and accommodating even though we arrived several hours before the posted check-in time. The staff was familiar with all of the local attractions, and could tell my husband and I a little about each attraction, which was a plus. (We were trying to avoid "tourist trap" attractions.)

This hotel is a short distance from the beach. If I had to guess the distance, I would say that it was less than a block from the beach. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as well. Parking is free and plentiful. If you are a stair climber like me, I can tell you that the stairways were clean and well-lit. If you need a morning Starbucks "fix" like my husband does to start the day, there is one less than two miles away from the hotel.

If you book a room partial ocean view, you will see the ocean from afar, which is still beautiful, and have a full view on the pool on the property.

I do not know if this is true of all of the rooms, but there was a jacuzzi in our hotel room. If you book a room on the 4th floor, the highest floor in the hotel, you will have easy access to their fitness center, sauna and steam room.

Please note that there is only one elevator in this hotel. Perhaps because it was so busy, the elevator seemed to take forever to arrive- an exaggeration, I know. Even my husband, who is not a stair climber, would walk up to the 4th floor with me to avoid waiting for the elevator.

Joyce B,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I very much, liked reading your review. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and cleanliness. These are probably the top 2 things we take pride in here. You gave a very good synopsis of our location and building situation. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Ascend Collection Castillo Real? Share your experiences!