“Very Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ascend Collection Castillo Real

Save Saved
You added Ascend Collection Castillo Real to your Saves list
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 A1A Beach Boulevard, Saint Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine, FL 32080   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
florida
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We just returned from a Saturday night away from the kids. Very happy with our choice of hotel. We come to the St. Augusinte area once or twice a year for the past 20 years, and found this hotel one of the best. We had a king, with whirlpool bath, ocean view room, with balcony. Room was beautiful and spacious, including the bathroom area, all were very clean. Ocean view, really means you can see just a tiny piece of the ocean during daylight hours, but was no big deal. Ocean was a 2 minute walk. We did not try the restaurant, but there were many people for dinner on Saturday night, as well as for breakfast on Sunday morning. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Atlanta, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

My husband and I found this wonderful place called St Augustine Fl. We walked into the Castille Real but there were no vacancies. The next chance we had to visit St Augustine we booked a room at Castille Real. It is a wonderful hotel. Beautifully decorated, superbly kept, immaculately clean. The rooms are large and spacious. The marble floor in the bathroom and shower is lovely. The bed was comfortable. I love this hotel. The restaurant in the hotel is five star caliber.
Make a special trip to St Augustine and stay at the Castille Real you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
orlando, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

My family and I stayed here for the weekend. Having stayed at other places in the area we decided to give this place a try. First impression was great. Very nice paver driveway and very nice lobby.

Once we got into our rooms, we were surprised. Surprised because we paid so little for such a nice room. We had a nice sizable two bed room. It had free high speed which was perfect for our laptop and iphones. The room was very nicely decorated. The blinds kept all of the light out. Even our baby slept until 9:30 AM the first night.

The bathroom did not have a bath, only a shower, but was very nice. The vanity area is nice because it's seperate from the shower which allowed us to get ready faster.

Pool area was nice with a nice hottub.

My wife and I are going back in Feb for our anniversary.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

Hotel seems new and the hardware is upscale. During our stay December 5, 2007, the room was very clean, but maybe too much so as it smelled of chlorox-cleaning-type fluid. Got a 4th floor room(top), as requested on line, but facing the street. Was presently surprised that there was no street noise. However, our Room 403 was in close proximity to the center of the hotel, and I assume the elevator motors were making that humming noise we heard at night. Didn't bother me, but my wife complained about it.
Staff were a bit cold, maybe typical of Eastern Europeans, which is what they seemed to be.
The eggs benedict breakfast was excellent, although at $26 inc tip for two, a little bit more than the free breakfasts at the lower cadre of Choice Hotel options.
I would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Liked — upscale furnishings
  • Disliked — chlorox odor
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Morganton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

This was my first stay at a Clarion, so I really wasn't sure what to expect. I was very happy with almost everything about this hotel! Check-in went smoothly. Having never been to the area before, I had a few questions for the desk clerk. He was quite helpful. When I walked into the room, I was instantly impressed! The room had two queen beds, but still seemed spacious. The decor and color combinations were beautiful! And the beds were soooo comfortable! Housekeeping had also done a wonderful job.

The bathroom area consisted of a sink and vanity outside the actually door to the bathroom which had a toilet and a large walk-in shower. It was listed in the room description that way, so I wasn't surprised by it. One concern I had, was the marble floor in the shower was VERY slippery. I suggest bringing shower shoes.

If you want to workout, they have a fitness center with three machines and free weights. Also in the fitness center is a sauna and steam room. The hotel also has spa services. I didn't use that so I don't know what services they offer.

The pool was great! Large, clean, and not your typical rectangle. I loved it.

No breakfast was provided but they do have a full service restaurant and have coffee available all day in the hallway.

This hotel IS NOT beach front, the website didn't try to make it sound like it was. The walk to the beach is very short, and no busy streets have to be crossed to get there.

You will have to drive about two miles to find a grocery store or pharmacy, but there are several restaurants within walking distance.

I was very happy with my stay here and look forward to coming back!

• Liked — Bed and pool.
  • Disliked — Slippery shower.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

We were very happy with our two night stay at the Castillo Real. The lobby was beautiful, our room was clean and well stocked with Bath & Bodyworks products, the pool was clean and the beach was close and BEAUTIFUL! I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Through the rewards program that this hotel offers (Choice Privileges), we secured a rate of $89 for a week night and $125 for the weekend for a king, non-smoking room.

The bed was huge and comfortable. Our room had a coffee maker, fridge, and microwave. The hotel offers high speed internet and they have a computer with Internet access in the lobby for complimentary use. There is also a pool and hot tub. Although we did not use the services, the hotel has a spa and fitness center.

If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend that you request a room away from the elevator.

Although the hotel does not offer complimentary breakfast, they do have their own restaurant that I believe serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The hotel is a very short walk to the white sandy beach.

A neat thing that I liked about this hotel is how great the drapes in the room shun the light from entering our room in the mornings. At 9am in our room, with the drapes drawn, it looked like it was midnight. This probably helped us sleep a little longer than usual. If this appeals to you, I would suggest requesting a room facing west.

For great eats, check out Cafe Eleven, a few steps away from the hotel. We had a delicious breakfast buffet there. Also, check out O'steens for yummy shrimp at terrific prices. They do not accept cash. Be aware that this restaurant usually has a long wait, but it's worth it to try it at least once.

We would likely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ascend Collection Castillo Real? Share your experiences!