“Nickel and Dime you to death” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Florida
“Nickel and Dime you to death”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

Poor customer service. Was sent an offer by the resort for a discount, was NOT honored. Have to pay for internet, high priced food, out of the way. Better value would have been the Holiday Inn Express with a Free Breakfast, Free Internet, and 1/3 the
price. Won't make this mistake again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at The Renaissance Resort numerous times over the past 4-5 years,( we usually stay at Marriott facilities) and have stayed at The Renaissance one other time recently since the up-date they completed. We were counting on our past experience here and at other Marriott's to meet up to our expectations, as we had some friends with us as our guest. We were more than pleased with the entire weekend, and our friends thought it was great. We had rooms that included breakfast, which is the best route to go, breakfast buffett was very good, the entire facility was very clean, up-to-date, well maintained. Will continue to visit here periodically as in the past. Please note this area is very low -key, golfing , relaxing etc, not a "spring-break" type atmosphere. We simply enjoy getting away from home, relaxing, shopping at nearby outlet, going into St. Augustine shops etc. I noted some other post on Trip Advisor prior to this recent visit and was a little concerned, but I relied on my own past experience here to decide to visit here again. Now I would like to say, I have been to some more up-scale hotels, but for the money and the purpose, you can not beat this. I am in the medical profession and I am very "picky" about cleanliness, and I was well pleased with this aspect. The staff was professional and courteous, no complaint's in this area, but of course I do not require an excessive amount of "falling all over me" attention, nice and polite will do the job.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Savannah, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

The staff was great, the restaurant was delicious, the bed was comfy, the room and balcony were spacious and the hotel was beautifully decorated! Would love to go back and stay again. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

whatsyourmo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Traveled here for Valentines day weekend to take in the sights at St Augustine. The hotel is about 15 min drive to St Augustine. We chose this hotel because of Marriott rewards points, this was the only hotel available in the area that would take points. The room itself was clean, very nice and comfortable. Our only major complaint with this hotel was the service. From the in-room breakfast we ordered for two which they only brought up one of the two. When the attendant returned with the second breakfast they forgot to bring up the second set of utensils. The concierge was not available all day Sunday and when we called the front desk for a recommendation of delivery pizza place (other than dominos or pizza hut) they were not very helpful. When my boyfriend went downstairs to use the computers in the business center, out of the three computers one was occupied, another was locked and the third one was only for printing out your itinerary. When my boyfriend asked for help in unlocking the second computer, that was locked but not being used, at the time he was given what seemed like a BS excuse, that they were working on the internet for that computer. Also, only one of the two phones in our room were working and only two of the 10 buttons on the phone worked - concierge which went to the front desk and the in-room dining. The best service we received at this hotel was the friendly bartender in the lounge Robert.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

This review will be long. But, I want to make sure I cover everything. I did not get a good impression of this property from the start. I called to make my reservation and spoke with a "Jennifer" in in-house reservations. She had one of the worst demeanors on the phone I have ever encountered. Her voice was monotone and abrupt. When it was time to give her my credit card information, I was getting it out of my wallet and said, "one moment, I am getting it." She responded with, "you should of had it out!" Can you believe that? I was shocked! I questioned her statement, which she denied. The thing is I have ears and I clearly heard what she said. I did not want to get into an argument with her about this comment, so I finished with the reservation and called back requesting to speak with the supervisor of in-house reservations. I was transferred to a voicemail for a "Jason." I left him a voice mail message detailing what occurred and requesting a call back. He never called me back! I was staying at this property for a work conference, otherwise I probably would have cancelled my reservation and stayed elsewhere.

I arrived at the resort at about 10:30 A.M. and was able to check-in. The front desk agent was friendly, courteous, and efficient. I was given a 5th floor room with a balcony. The rate was $129 per night (which work paid for). Here are the positives and negatives with this resort.

Positives:
-The resort is beautiful and architecturally appealing. The lobby has a waterfall and stream running through it.
-The fitness center was great.
-The location can be good for golfers, people visiting the World Golf Hall of Fame, or for people attending an event at the Saint Johns County Convention Center (which is connected to the hotel).
-The room was large with beautiful accents, flat screen television, nice size balcony, refrigerator, and a very comfortable bed.
-The bathroom was large, had Aveda bath products (which are nice), a great shower with very hot water and great water pressure (which I love). The toilet was separated from the rest of the bathroom by a wall. This can be good if you have multiple people in a room who are trying to get ready at the same time.
-The exit has a shopping center with a Publix Supermarket, BP gas station, and Shell gas station.
-The gift shop had needed essentials and the restaurant was reasonably priced.
-Resort did not seem very busy, so I was able to park close.

Negatives:
-In room WIFI s $12.95 per day and did not work well at all (actually one of the slowest and most expensive I have experienced at a hotel/resort). Not only that, but they double charged me this fee, I had to have engineering come up to check it out because it was so slow, and I was on the phone with Ibahn customer support for a half hour. Nothing fixed the connectivity issues. Upon check-out, I complained about what I experienced and the front desk agent took both charges off of my bill - thumbs up there.
-The previous mentioned comments about the noise level is very true. The walls are paper thin and you can hear toilets flushing and doors slamming all the time. Not very relaxing.
-The parking lot had an overwhelming stench of raw sewage. So much so, you had to cover your noise/mouth when you walked from your car to the resort because it was so bad.
-Do not stay here if you want to visit downtown Saint Augustine and/or the historic district. The resort is about 25 minutes or 15 miles away from everything. It really is in the middle of nowhere.

I guess overall the negatives and positives balance each other out. But, overall the experience could have been better.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

The past reviews explain everything pretty well. However, I did want to mention that this hotel is right next to I95 and you can hear traffic all night long. As well, the toilets are extremely loud when being flushed. We could hear people flushing toilets all night long. Not a restful place to stay.
If you are not a golfer, stay elsewhere.
Staff really did not care about proviing good service.
Rooms were poorly laid out...although relatively clean.
Food was OK....not great.
Location....a bit out of the way if you are visiting or working down in St. Augustine.
Our last night we ran into a group of college kids staying at the hotel for a sporting event. As a rule, if I know a hotel accepts student groups; keep away! This group was very well behaved, but I have had really bad experiences with school groups staying in hotels.

Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

This hotel has been recently renovated. It is well worth the $$$ and the fee is reasonable. The golf course "King and Bear" is out of this world.
Make your reservations and enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort? Share your experiences!